Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Such hostility!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Such hostility!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 05:09 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My recent experience with a terrible driver went like this:

I'm riding in the bikelane, on the beachside road in Yantai, China (Shandong Province). The bikelanes are really wide, and I've found that if I ride to the right, cars will routinely pass other cars on the right (driving in my lane), danger close to me. So, I've taken to taking my lane, to its fullest. That didn't work so well, so I add a "drunken" weave to the mix when I see (in my rearview mirror) cars approaching. Drivers typically then won't try to pass me in my own lane as they don't know if I'm drunk, stoned, or disabled somehow, but then exceptions occur.

I'm riding along, and I see two buses slowing a long chain of cars down in my rearview, and I begin my drunken weave. Sure enough, ASSHAT decides to try to pass other cars by going in my lane. He hits the horn, and I slow down. He hits the horn again, I slowed to a crawl. Then another car joins in behind him, adding to the din. All the other drivers close ranks locking these two turkeys in behind me. I kept riding as if I couldn't hear the horns of the trapped drivers, and watched as they lost their hard won lane positions to cars that didn't try to pass on the right. Those drivers were so pissed, and I was all smiles.

I wish more cyclists would stand their ground here.

I'm tempted to get a shirt that has a message on the back that reads (in perfectly grammatical Chinese)

"Bicycle is equipped with two speeds.
Honk to see slow."

Or

"The louder/longer you honk
the slower I go"

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-31-17 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 08:57 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
ASSHAT decides to try to pass other cars by going in my lane. He hits the horn, and I slow down. He hits the horn again, I slowed to a crawl.
Every once in a while someone honks at me. When hundreds of other motorists are able to change lanes or pass me with plenty of room I know what this honker wants to do when I'm already on the right half of the lane.

I don't slow down. Instead I move towards the middle sometimes going to the left of the lane. Message is conveyed. Honking usually stops. He's not going to squeeze by me. He has to follow or properly change lanes to pass.
Old 01-01-18, 07:30 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Every once in a while someone honks at me. When hundreds of other motorists are able to change lanes or pass me with plenty of room I know what this honker wants to do when I'm already on the right half of the lane.

I don't slow down. Instead I move towards the middle sometimes going to the left of the lane. Message is conveyed. Honking usually stops. He's not going to squeeze by me. He has to follow or properly change lanes to pass.

I've found myself doing the same. By blowing the horn I know the driver sees me.
Old 01-01-18, 04:20 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Know the law and do what you have to stay safe.

Originally Posted by K'Tesh
My recent experience with a terrible driver went like this..... He hits the horn, and I slow down. He hits the horn again, I slowed to a crawl. Then another car joins in behind him, adding to the din...
Behaviour like this will very often lead to an escalation on the part of the aggressive drive. I would guess that most of us have done it at one time or another... Know that we are in the Right! Absolutely in the Right. And then do something that can end up testing our "Cosmic Right" against the weight of a car and it's idiot driver. I say, idiot because I can only see him or her from my perspective Yes! there are crazy chics out there too! I don't care why he is being aggressive. Recently deceased wife, dropped a 12-pack at the Quik-e-Mart, lost a multi-billion $ deal at work, her puppy pee'ed on her Unicorn collection, yadda, yadda, yadda. I don't care. All I care about it not getting injured. The rider ALWAY loses. A Huge Win is to not be hurt when dealing with an aggressive human driving a car. Taking a "corrective action" like slowing down only makes thing worse. Wave a hand to let them know you are aware of them, and then follow the laws of the area you are riding in while you continue on your way. Take possession of as much of the road's surface (within the law) as you need to ride safely and ride as predictably as possible. Follow the law. There are places in the world that flipping someone off can get you cited, or worse. If someone brushes up against you while riding and you chase them down finally, a knock on the back window with a fist-sized rock from 20 feet away will probably turn into a losing he-said-she-said thing with a cop that only sees the last few seconds of the encounter. Regardless of your Cosmic Right. It can be hard to ride smooth and straight sometimes. Winds, bad weather, riding surface, heavy loads, Sharps and Debris lining the roads, dead skunk. Lots of things will make a rider dart in some apparently random direction. We riders do everything we can to minimize that and be consistent. Hopefully being more predictable to the driver. He's the one in control of the lethal weapon. If the person actually seems dangerous then stop and let them leave or ride away where they can't follow. Personal vid cameras are great for determining fault and for use during litigation. But it's best to stop it before an injury occurs. An outer jacket with large lettering stating, "You are being videoed" might even work better. But that may just enrage a woman that just lost her entire Unicorn collection, who knows?. Doesn't matter she's an "idiot".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
injury 2017-1.jpg (644.2 KB, 145 views)
injury 2017-2.jpg (683.1 KB, 144 views)
injury 2017-3.jpg (614.4 KB, 143 views)
injury 2017-4.jpg (1.23 MB, 144 views)
Old 01-01-18, 11:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
Know the law and do what you have to stay safe.

...Follow the law....
In terms of K'Tesh, the OP and myself, we were all following the law. In K'Tesh's situation, the motorists illegally entered the bike lane to illegally pass on the right the slow moving traffic.

What you are recommending is for cyclists to yield to bad driving - thus encouraging bad drivers to continue this sort of activity. Why is bad driving an acceptable norm?

In all three cases, the bad drivers see the cyclists and are following or harrassing. The collision scenario is when the drivers don't see the cyclists or the drivers are maniacs determined to run us down. In this latter case no cyclist would stand a chance even after taking your advice and getting completely off the road.
Old 01-02-18, 06:31 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Move to a state with legal CCW? And quit trying to make idiots think like you do or have your values or sensitivities. It is like wrestling with a pig...you will get really muddy, bitten, your bike damaged, and only the pig will enjoy the game.
Or, leave the US and that gun-toting nonsense behind.

Also, the cycling infrastructure is better over here.
Old 01-02-18, 12:00 PM
BBassett

Riders not taking responsibility

Originally Posted by Daniel4
What you are recommending is for cyclists to yield to bad driving...
Yes Daniel, I am recommending you yield to an unpredictable and/or aggressive driver operating a multi-thousand-pound potential weapon. If you can't understand; follow the local road laws, defuse the situation, take possession of whatever amount of the road surface as necessary to ride safe, document/report incident to local authorities, then it seems to be you that is encouraging this type of behavior to continue.
Old 01-02-18, 12:21 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by acidfast7
Or, leave the US and that gun-toting nonsense behind. Also, the cycling infrastructure is better over here.
When mankind becomes civilized enough to control himself... the only thing guns are good for besides hunting food is protecting himself from his own government. Being English you can't even begin to understand this, but your great great grandfather would have. It was 1919 when the English government started it's crackdown on privately owned weapons and passed its first sweeping anti-gun laws (under the smokescreen of crime control) even though gun-related crime was almost nonexistent in the England of the day. But I am sure that the 100,000 cameras you have recording your every move make you feel safer. England is really good at being able to find out, after the fact, who was responsible for an incident.

As far as thinking England has a better bike infrastructure than the U.S., lol, keep telling yourself that. But, we all agree that you live in a really cute passive little shoe box.
Old 01-02-18, 12:54 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
"Knowing" Ktesh from previous posts where he mentioned being highly visible due to lights, reflectors and bright colored clothing I would guess he was pretty obvious to the drivers.
Old 01-02-18, 01:51 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by no motor?
"Knowing" Ktesh from previous posts where he mentioned being highly visible due to lights, reflectors and bright colored clothing I would guess he was pretty obvious to the drivers.
One aspect that makes things difficult in discussions like this is that we are comparing apples to oranges. Riding a bike in China is hard to compare to riding in the U.S., or any other country probably. Same as trying to compare riding in the city, or suburbs, to rural riding, or open country. We all have different environments and obstacles to deal with that are unique to our locations.
Old 01-02-18, 03:09 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Being English you can't even begin to understand this, but your great great grandfather would have.
I was born in America, went through a Ph.D. there, and became faculty over here, by choice, not by necessity as I had offers (and still have) in the states. Thanks for the history lesson. Based on your penchant for firearms, you made a wise decision; unless you've only lived in one country, in that case I feel sorry for you as you have no baseline for comparison ... but as they say, ignorance is indeed bliss.

The UK has excellent cycling infrastructure.

Also, I'm quite happy with the drivers over here even compared to Germany, CPH and Sweden. Noticing cyclists is quite important during the education of a driver.

Also, after getting some of your personal history, I see why you hate me so much.

Happy New Year / Gott nyt aar / Guten Rutsch

Last edited by acidfast7; 01-02-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 04:51 PM
BBassett

Confused Englishman

I was born in America, went through a Ph.D. there, and became faculty over here, by choice, not by necessity as I had offers (and still have) in the states. Thanks for the history lesson. Based on your penchant for firearms, you made a wise decision; unless you've only lived in one country, in that case I feel sorry for you as you have baseline for comparison ... but as they say, ignorance is indeed bliss.

Also, I'm quite happy with the drivers over here even compared to Germany, CPH and Sweden. Noticing cyclists is quite important during the education of a driver.

Also, after getting some of your history, I see why you hate me so much
Happy New Year
I'm not really sure why it matters where you were born for the frame of this conversation, but.... ok. Congrats?!?! Ditto on your education and need to feel desired or sought after, or at least your need to let us know that you think you are. <wink wink> You are perfectly welcome for the lesson. I can go into much greater detail but I figured you wouldn't have bothered to actually read it all anyway. I have resided in 4 different countries (multiple years in each) so far, and feel comfortable with my "baseline" when discussing bike riding. As far as ignorance, I will have to bow to your knowledge on that topic and to the bliss you derive from it. Not sure what scale you are using when you say Excellent in describing Great Britain's biking infrastructure. Non-existant, to Bad, to Average, then Excellent? I have seen and ridden some of it while visiting and it's just fine. But then GB is the size of Oregon. America's biking infrastructure is fine too, eeeeerrrrr, I mean, Excellent... just not confined to a such a small footprint.

Two things that you have (also) gotten completely incorrect is that I don't have a love or passion for firearms in the least. I am extremely adept at their operation and employment, however. Akso your mildly paranoid feelings of "hatred" from me are misplaced. I don't know you. How, and Why, would I possibly harbor feelings of hatred against a non-entity? I agree wholeheartedly that drivers need to be able to see bike riders and understand our rights and needs, to become better educated. Just not sure why you stated the obvious.

Oh.... yeah! What was the "wise decision" I made? And should I feel sorry for you for only living in two countries, if that's the case?
Old 01-02-18, 04:56 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I'm not really sure why it matters where you were born for the frame of this conversation, but.... ok. Congrats?!?! Ditto on your education and need to feel desired or sought after, or at least your need to let us know that you think you are. <wink wink> You are perfectly welcome for the lesson. I can go into much greater detail but I figured you wouldn't have bothered to actually read it all anyway. I have resided in 4 different countries (multiple years in each) so far, and feel comfortable with my "baseline" when discussing bike riding. As far as ignorance, I will have to bow to your knowledge on that topic and to the bliss you derive from it. Not sure what scale you are using when you say Excellent in describing Great Britain's biking infrastructure. Non-existant, to Bad, to Average, then Excellent? I have seen and ridden some of it while visiting and it's just fine. But then GB is the size of Oregon. America's biking infrastructure is fine too, eeeeerrrrr, I mean, Excellent... just not confined to a such a small footprint.

Two things that you have (also) gotten completely incorrect is that I don't have a love or passion for firearms in the least. I am extremely adept at their operation and employment, however. Akso your mildly paranoid feelings of "hatred" from me are misplaced. I don't know you. How, and Why, would I possibly harbor feelings of hatred against a non-entity? I agree wholeheartedly that drivers need to be able to see bike riders and understand our rights and needs, to become better educated. Just not sure why you stated the obvious.

Oh.... yeah! What was the "wise decision" I made? And should I feel sorry for you for only living in two countries, if that's the case?
At least you're conversing now. Four countries for multiple years is still somewhat low on the spectrum but I'm willing to engage with someone that has that experience.

Why give me the UK history lesson? It's condescending.
Old 01-02-18, 06:17 PM
BBassett

At least you're conversing now. Four countries for multiple years is still somewhat low on the spectrum but I'm willing to engage with someone that has that experience.

Why give me the UK history lesson? It's condescending.
Willing to engage, how terribly terrible kind of you... ahhhhhhhhhhhh, nah. But when you want another lesson ring-me-up Chap.

Number of Rohloffs ridden every day 1
Old 01-02-18, 07:19 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Sheesh! Such hostility!!!
Old 01-02-18, 08:34 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Trouble finds those who seek it.

He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour: but he that seeketh mischief, it shall come unto him.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/prov...7-compare.html
Old 01-02-18, 10:24 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Sheesh! Such hostility!!!
That's what I thought! And on This topic to boot.
Old 01-03-18, 01:18 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Number of Rohloffs ridden every day 1
Cool. I had one in Germany, when I moved the the UK, I decided to slum it like the rest of the peasants in the British Empire.

At least you're conversing in a pleasant manner rather than attacking me.

Keep it up and we could be friends.

Last edited by acidfast7; 01-03-18 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 01:18 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

If that's the case then why do the huge majority of cyclist videos of bad drivers on YouTube seem to be coming out of the UK?
Old 01-03-18, 02:16 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
If that's the case then why do the huge majority of cyclist videos of bad drivers on YouTube seem to be coming out of the UK?
Selection bias by the viewer.

And, if you can only type bicycle in English, you're going to the get the most dense English-speaking country resulting in the "majority" being from the UK.

Also, YouTube isn't the most used video sharing website on the planet.

So, again, selection bias by the viewer.
Old 01-06-18, 02:27 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Selection bias by the viewer.

And, if you can only type bicycle in English, you're going to the get the most dense English-speaking country resulting in the "majority" being from the UK.

Also, YouTube isn't the most used video sharing website on the planet.

So, again, selection bias by the viewer.
Why are you defending them?!?! They even drive on the wrong side of the road!
Old 01-06-18, 07:49 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Slaninar
Why are you defending them?!?! They even drive on the wrong side of the road!
You mean they drive on the right side of the road?
Old 01-06-18, 07:50 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

You mean they drive on the right side of the road?
If left side is the right one, then what's left to those riding on the right side?
Old 01-06-18, 07:52 AM
mcours2006

The right side is still the right side.
Old 01-06-18, 08:31 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

The right side is still the right side.
Not in England!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.