Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday llama DIY Headset Tightening Tool

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 03:08 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi folks
I am having problems with my headset I need to tight it and with the small screws I can t really tight it.I don t want to buy the special tool from BF (will cost me so much shipping tax etc} https://store.bikefriday.com/product...ducts_id=19013
Any one can give e some advice an alternative tool or DIY option
Thank you and safe ride
Old 10-08-21, 07:19 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
My experience at age 72 is if you do not have the right tool you are wasting you time. Tools are a good investment and that may be why at this point in my life I have so many. Roger
Old 10-08-21, 09:34 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I bought the tool, but then shipping was more local. Basically, it is a long bolt that passes thru the frame. The top has a compression plug with a hex nut above it. You drop it in the frame. At the bottom there is a large washer that threads on the long bolt. There's a nut under it. You hold the bottom nut while you tighten the top nut to compress the headset in between. You could probably have someone make you one, or do it yourself. The trick will be getting the bolt length close to the right length so you can pass it through but not have to tighten for days. BF has a local guy make them for BF to sell. If you're into making one and you think it would help, I can post some part pictures of mine.
Old 10-09-21, 07:58 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
This video shows an alternative means of applying preload to the system with out the special tool.

I think it would be relatively easy to fabricate your own tool with threaded rod two nuts and two fender washers, and piece of tubing/pipe of proper Internal diameter .

Last edited by zebede; 10-09-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-09-21, 03:31 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
My experience at age 72 is if you do not have the right tool you are wasting you time. Tools are a good investment and that may be why at this point in my life I have so many. Roger
I know that but I own two llamas one got a 1 1/4 and the other one 1 /8 headsset .