Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

NBC/Peacock vs. World Feed

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-23, 06:46 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts

I have watched TdF for years via available free/cable feeds, such as NBC, USA and NBC Sports. This year I subscribed to Peacock to watch. I bought the Peacock Premium service for $4.99. After I watched that feed, which includes commercial breaks, I "upgraded" to Peacock Premium Plus for $9.99. I watch the replays, rather than the live feeds, and not having to suffer the commercial breaks on Peacock is well worth the extra five bucks.

I sampled the World Feed on Stage 4, but the intermittent audio was intolerable, and I went back to the Peacock feed. Tonight, after watching the Stage 7 Peacock feed, I again sampled the World Feed. They have solved the intermittent audio problem, and I liked what I saw.

Peacock has a pre-race show, and missed the start today on stage 7. World Feed had the start, a plus. I don't need the pre-race show.

I like Phil and Bob on Peacock, they are familiar. And I like the feature coverage from Christian Vande Velde and Steve Porino. But I liked whoever-they-are on World Feed. What are your thoughts? Any strong preferences for one feed over the other?
Old 07-08-23, 06:33 PM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I like the world feed. Every single time I’ve tried to watch the other they’ve either been in commercial or doing something stupid. Today when the Cav crash happened they decided to interview some guy selling knick knacks at the side of the road asking him what he thought. Like who the hell cares what some doofus thinks! He didn’t even know what happened.

I like the guys on the world feed too. They can get excited and be pretty funny but they are pretty much all business.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 07-08-23, 06:44 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I had been watching the USA coverage, but that disappeared today so I had to subscribe to Peacock. Based on limited experienced, I preferred the word feed of the two offered.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-08-23, 07:49 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
World feed for the win.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 07-09-23, 06:04 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I'm a Phil and Bob guy over anyone else.
Old 07-09-23, 06:08 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'm a Phil and Bob guy over anyone else.
Who else have you listened to?
Likes For slcbob:
Old 07-09-23, 07:44 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I have watched TdF for years via available free/cable feeds, such as NBC, USA and NBC Sports. This year I subscribed to Peacock to watch. I bought the Peacock Premium service for $4.99. After I watched that feed, which includes commercial breaks, I "upgraded" to Peacock Premium Plus for $9.99. I watch the replays, rather than the live feeds, and not having to suffer the commercial breaks on Peacock is well worth the extra five bucks.

I sampled the World Feed on Stage 4, but the intermittent audio was intolerable, and I went back to the Peacock feed. Tonight, after watching the Stage 7 Peacock feed, I again sampled the World Feed. They have solved the intermittent audio problem, and I liked what I saw.

Peacock has a pre-race show, and missed the start today on stage 7. World Feed had the start, a plus. I don't need the pre-race show.

I like Phil and Bob on Peacock, they are familiar. And I like the feature coverage from Christian Vande Velde and Steve Porino. But I liked whoever-they-are on World Feed. What are your thoughts? Any strong preferences for one feed over the other?

What where is world feed?
Old 07-09-23, 10:13 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I have a difficult time understanding a British accent (except for Phil). Old ears.
Old 07-09-23, 03:09 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by Gyro
What where is world feed?
The World Feed appears to be the France TV coverage with English-speaking commentators–all the graphics are in French. It is available on the Peacock service next to the Phil & Bob NBC feed.

I am watching parts of both feeds. I am accustomed to Phil & Bob and enjoy them, I also like the feature guys on the course, Steve Porino and Christian Vande Velde. I don't enjoy the studio team. On Friday the pre-race show ran over and covered the start of the race. The World Feed doesn't seem to have a pre-race show (or I missed it).

I am paying $9.99 for the commercial-free Peacock feed, but one thing I don't like about the Peacock feed is that the commercial breaks are just cut out, so the viewer misses whatever happens in the race during the commercials anyway. I had thought that the feed would continue, and I just wouldn't see the commercials, but this is not the case. The World Feed has no commercials.

There's another thread about the coverage/streaming here.

Enjoy the race!
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 07-09-23, 04:48 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Who else have you listened to?
No one. Bob was a fellow bike racer, it doesn't matter to me who might be better.
Old 07-09-23, 05:14 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
The World Feed appears to be the France TV coverage with English-speaking commentators–all the graphics are in French. It is available on the Peacock service next to the Phil & Bob NBC feed.

I am watching parts of both feeds. I am accustomed to Phil & Bob and enjoy them, I also like the feature guys on the course, Steve Porino and Christian Vande Velde. I don't enjoy the studio team. On Friday the pre-race show ran over and covered the start of the race. The World Feed doesn't seem to have a pre-race show (or I missed it).

I am paying $9.99 for the commercial-free Peacock feed, but one thing I don't like about the Peacock feed is that the commercial breaks are just cut out, so the viewer misses whatever happens in the race during the commercials anyway. I had thought that the feed would continue, and I just wouldn't see the commercials, but this is not the case. The World Feed has no commercials.

There's another thread about the coverage/streaming here.

Enjoy the race!
Thanks
Likes For Gyro:
Old 07-09-23, 06:46 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Just two stages of World feed under my belt. Flip a coin on commentary quality, but those commercials.

The two new guys in the studio are no chopped liver. Brent Bookwalter was a stalwart in the peloton until a couple years back, and Sam is evidently a DS on loan from Israel Premier Tech. Brent is kinda quiet. Sam's analysis has been right on the mark. On stage 6 he predicted exactly the scenario that unfolded (yeah, not the toughest call, but he didn't waffle and hedge his way into it.

On world feed, Nicolas Roche is pretty soft-spoken, but he definitely is knowledgeable.
Old 07-09-23, 07:05 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Ant McCrossan and Nico Roche do a thoroughly adequate job.

Phil and Bob are tolerable for novices but don't deliver for enthusiasts IMHO. That's even before the ads.

I was not aware Bookwalter & co were on air. I may try to listen to them.

I understand Sean Kelly can be a chore to decode for north Americans. I watched The Commitments a few times and can follow him. His "yes, well..." brutal pragmatism in contrast to Rob Hatch or Carlton Kirby is gold. Coin of the realm.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 07-09-23, 07:45 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Sam's analysis has been right on the mark. On stage 6 he predicted exactly the scenario that unfolded (yeah, not the toughest call, but he didn't waffle and hedge his way into it.
Yeah, I like Sam, but overall the in-studio team doesn't add much for me. That business with the rider icons on the tabletop is good tech, but not compelling at all.

Originally Posted by slcbob
Ant McCrossan and Nico Roche do a thoroughly adequate job.​
I have yet to hear these guys identified, probably missed it. Are they ever on camera? That would help.​

Phil and Bob are tolerable for novices but don't deliver for enthusiasts IMHO. That's even before the ads.​
I'm a novice TdF watcher, I find them quite helpful and pleasant. but I can see your point for the hard-core enthusiasts. The NBC show might be more inviting for casual and novice TdF viewers.

I was not aware Bookwalter & co were on air. I may try to listen to them. I understand Sean Kelly can be a chore to decode for north Americans. I watched The Commitments a few times and can follow him. His "yes, well..." brutal pragmatism in contrast to Rob Hatch or Carlton Kirby is gold. Coin of the realm.
Again, I haven't seen anyone on camera on the world feed (Is that Sean who rides and reports on the last couple of K?) I'd like to put a voice to a face.

I am a day behind, and watched Stage 8 today, alternating between NBC and WF. NBC gave much more attention to the Mark Cavendish crash than WF did. I think NBC's coverage favors US and English-speaking riders. Tomorrow I'll watch Stage 9 on only on WF.
Old 07-09-23, 08:11 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
...​ Again, I haven't seen anyone on camera on the world feed (Is that Sean who rides and reports on the last couple of K?) I'd like to put a voice to a face.

That would be Nicolas Roche, if you're referring to the world feed. Likely would be Christian Van der Velde if they are doing that on NBS.
Old 07-10-23, 03:50 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by nomadmax
No one. Bob was a fellow bike racer, it doesn't matter to me who might be better.
I'm a Bob Roll fan. His role as an announcer has changed over the years, from occasional Bobke spots for color commentary to anchoring the coverage in the Phil role in races other than the Tour. CVDV has come a long way, too. Phil & Paul will always be the voice of cycling in my mind, like Howard Cosell is of MNF and Jackie Stewart of motorcar racing. Heresy, but I think Bob & Christian do a better job than Phil & Bob.

Still, when I'm watching a race not culting Bobke and 'Murica, the coverage is far better for me with King Kelly and the ton of talent assembled around him. Philippe Gilbert on the motorbike this week, Jens next week, video calls into team cars, Robbie McEwen in the booth and on Orla's sofa-turned-barstool, etc. I know my wife is culting UK/Ireland, thinking of the olde sod and growing up listening to test match special. That's not my thing and I cheat on her now and then, watching the American coverage on the side. It has its moments but disappoints in the net and keeps driving me back.

I sometimes wish GCN would snatch Bobke from NBC. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 07-10-23, 04:49 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
I thought Ant was intolerable until I got a load of Rob Hatch, now Ant is tolerable.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-13-23, 09:33 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 67 Posts
The Peacock $ 4.99 will get you the world feed with no commercials. I have used it since the start of Peacock. They cover 8-10 races a year. Also it has all the NBC programs on it.
Likes For EddyR:
Old 07-19-23, 06:41 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I like ITV. I download from a torrent site. Eurosport is good but commentary can be wacky depending on who's talking.

Rob Hatch grates with his over pronounced foreign words.
Brian Smith is the adult in the room and does a good job.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-19-23 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-20-23, 04:46 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Rob Hatch grates with his over pronounced foreign words.
NPR had Sylvia Pojoli and Eurosport/GCN has Rob Hatch.

He is no Antonio Mendoza.

Old 07-21-23, 04:32 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 67 Posts
Three weeks of Nick Roche has me turning off the sound. He can not say any word with “th” in it . He will say “the udder guys” Changes ,th to dd every time.
it is amazing the one who hired hid did not give him a couple of days of language training.I did public speaking for years and speaking like that I would not last an hour. I like his comments and knowledge he brings to the event.
Old 07-22-23, 04:31 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Well stay away from GCN+ then Sean Kelly is the turd member of their broadcast team.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-23-23, 01:33 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
For anyone who watched the 1st stage of the Femme tour, Phil was just completely awkward with the female as the 3rd member of the commentary today. He kept talking right over top of her and didn't even recognize she existed, alaways saying "Bob....." Bob kept on trying to get her to comment but then it seemed Phil would talk right on top of her.

It was hard to listen to.
Likes For gpsblake:
Old 07-24-23, 05:05 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Shadco
Well stay away from GCN+ then Sean Kelly is the turd member of their broadcast team.

Yes, well...
Old 07-24-23, 05:15 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I’ve had Peacock for the last 2-3 years and default to the world feed solely because of the commercials. I don’t go out of my way to listen to Bobke and Ligget, but they’re okay on the replays at night without commercials.
Likes For thin_concrete:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.