Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Trip tracker Android app

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Trip tracker Android app

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-23, 07:29 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Trip tracker Android app

I am looking for a GPS trip tracker in the form of an Android app, to replace the Journey Tracker I had on my Blackberry for ten years. I want it to be able to display trip altitude and speed profiles easily, allow access to old tracks from the phone, and, above all, not require interaction with a web site. I would want to be able to archive to a computer, as data backup against phone failure. It would be nice if it did a good job with short walks and plane or car trips too, like Journey Tracker did. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
oldschoolbike
Old 08-07-23, 07:30 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Maybe this? I didn't look at all the features, that's your job.

Cadence - Run and Bike Tracker App for iPhone and Android (getcadence.app)
Old 08-07-23, 06:03 PM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Jepster is another possibility:
https://www.jepster.nl

There's also the Wahoo Fitness: Workout Tracker app found at
https://www.wahoofitness.com/fitness-apps

Last edited by estasnyc; 08-07-23 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 06:33 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Oldie,

How about Ride with GPS? I see it’s on Google Play, and so assume it’s Android. I use it on iOS and like it. Good luck!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...US&gl=US&pli=1
Old 08-07-23, 06:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
I am looking for a GPS trip tracker in the form of an Android app, to replace the Journey Tracker I had on my Blackberry for ten years. I want it to be able to display trip altitude and speed profiles easily, allow access to old tracks from the phone, and, above all, not require interaction with a web site. I would want to be able to archive to a computer, as data backup against phone failure. It would be nice if it did a good job with short walks and plane or car trips too, like Journey Tracker did. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
oldschoolbike
Strava works pretty good for bike, run, hike, etc just choose the activity when you start. I've never tried it for drives or flights, and I don't think it has those activities, but you could probably use Velomobile for driving and Kitesurfing for flights.

As for the old tracks on the phone, if you have GPX files on the Blackberry you can import them into Strava if you can plug it into your computer, transfer files, then email it to the email addy on your new phone.

ETA: all tracks are saved to the cloud. You can tap on the activity and hit the share button and email it to yourself, then download it to your computer for archiving.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-07-23 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-09-23, 05:52 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
You might look at Cyclemeter.

I pay USD9.99 per year for the "Elite" version, because I wanted it to be able to access Bluetooth sensors on the bike. I don't know what other features one gives up if only using the free version.

To the best of my knowledge, the data is recorded locally on the phone, with some options for export/import and sharing.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 08-10-23, 07:07 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I installed Cadence and plan to give it a week or so before either keeping it or trying one of the other suggestions. It does indeed meet my criteria, but it is very laggy in use. That may be my cheapo phone though. The other approach is to try to get Journey Tracker to function without a SIM card installed, and carry the BlackBerry for that single purpose. It is very compact. That may work with one or more of the map options if I wait until I am on WiFi to review the track.

I will check if Cadwence it has .gpx export. Journey Tracker did, and I did us it to archive and to upload to Strava when so inclined. The other thing I need to check for is the option of metric units.
Old 08-16-23, 10:57 AM
SkinnyLad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It doesn't have all the features you requested but Bike Run Tracker is the app I use for walking, biking and running (I was also somewhat involved in it's development).

Probably too simple for your needs but there are no connections to any websites, it's free and everything is kept in-phone.
Old 08-16-23, 11:21 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
I've been using open source OSMAnd for years. For motorcycle trips, bicycle trips, car trips, hiking etc. It's not a fitness tracker though.
Old 08-20-23, 01:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, Cyclemeter, especially if privacy is a priority, or you don't plan to ever use social media type fitness apps such as Strava, Map My Ride/Run/Walk, etc. I used Cyclemeter for a couple of years, including one year with the full featured paid subscription version. Very good, versatile with customizable features. All data is stored only on your device unless you choose to upload to cloud storage or share it online.

The only gripe I had about Cyclemeter was that when I let my subscription lapse I could no longer access my own data in any way, even though it's stored on my device. So if I renew Cyclemeter premium I'll download the data in standard formats to my PC.

Of the other apps I've used that do, by default, store data to the app company servers, Wahoo Fitness is the easiest and clearest to use, and generally lower resource demand than some. Wahoo Fitness records a lot more data than it displays on the app, but you can download or sync it to another app or program that can display and sort out the data to track fitness trends, if you're into that.

Strava is great if you enjoy the social media aspect of seeing what friends (or friendly rivals) are up to, and sharing your own activities. I do and have enjoyed Strava for several years, since most of my Strava contacts are actual local friends. But the free version is pretty limited. I let my subscription expire this year (unexpected medical bills) and I'd forgotten how much data is hidden in the free version. I'll probably renew my subscription later this year after sorting out some medical expenses that aren't covered by insurance. If I'm recalling correctly I can still download my entire Strava data even without the premium version.

As much as I like Strava, I can't recommend it as the primary or only mobile app version for recording activities. If Strava crashes (usually due to conflicts on our own phones, but occasionally with Strava itself), the entire activity is gone forever. So I record all my runs with other apps -- usually Wahoo Fitness, which has been very reliable for years. Ditto my bike rides -- I record to my bike computer (an inexpensive but good XOSS G+) *and* Wahoo Fitness, so I have a backup. Then I sync to Strava later.

Another less satisfactory option: Any phone with Google apps is capable of recording all of our activities by default. Set Google Maps to track all activities. I've done that for years, guessing it might be handy as legal evidence if I was hit by a car. That turned out to occur in 2018, unfortunately. The Google Maps tracking data wasn't used as evidence since we settled out of court. But it did help confirm my version of events. The original record of Google Maps data cannot be modified, altered, faked, falsified, by the user. We can delete it (although I suspect Google archives it forever, regardless). But we can't modify it. We can download the data to use in other apps or programs and the copy of the data could be modified. But not the original data stored by Google. That could be a factor in a complicated legal case.

And if you don't want Google to record your activities, well... I'd recommend uninstalling Google apps from that device, because I don't believe that disabling the option for Google to record our data actually prevents Google from doing so. I'm betting they record everything regardless and archive it privately, which *might* be vulnerable to subpoena.

TBH, if privacy is a concern, don't use any online device while running, cycling, hiking, etc. There are activity computers such as old school bike computers with no online capability; and there are others with no wireless connectivity but can be connected via cable to transfer data (some older Lezyne bike computers) to transfer data to our PC or other device.
Old 09-01-23, 08:54 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have been using Ride with GPS for years. Never have seen it crash. Oregon based company with really good support.
Works well with my Wahoo. I often view it on my PC and only use the Wahoo post ride.
Because I have multiple bikes with sensors, I can also track miles on each bike.