Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur options.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 11:17 AM
Highlander2536

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some guidance. Ive an entry level Halford Carrera Vengance MTB 4 years old with had an 8 speed cassette and triple chsi ring. Ive recently swapped out the rear cassette to a 9 speed 11-36T and new chain plus 9 speed shifter. Also swapped out the front chairing for a Shimano FC-MT210-2 36/22T double chainring.
What I'm struggling to find is a compatible front derailleur. Was looking at a Shimano Alivio FD-M4020 but it doesnt appear to be a bottom pull. Anyone able to confirm if it has a bottom pull or a suitable alternative.
Old 08-11-23, 08:26 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Will your current FD not work? You might have to adjust its height for the new big ring, and the limit screws for the narrower travel on the 2X crank. Good luck.
Old 08-12-23, 02:42 AM
Highlander2536

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@BCDrums;22981883 The triple FD is still in place but the H screw is now at the limit and loose to stop it going and further plus the cage gap is wide because it has a high mount bracket so can't get it any lower on the down tube
Old 08-12-23, 03:47 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Shimano CX70 in bottom pull
Old 08-12-23, 04:12 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Highlander2536
@BCDrums;22981883 The triple FD is still in place but the H screw is now at the limit and loose to stop it going and further plus the cage gap is wide because it has a high mount bracket so can't get it any lower on the down tube
The M4020 may work. It is classed as front pull, which uses cable housing that enters from the front, above the shift cage. Your frame will have to accommodate this routing.

The CX70 is usually high clamp, so your placement issue may continue. It is also intended for a larger chainring combo.
Old 08-12-23, 06:27 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Shimano CX70 in bottom pull
Originally Posted by KCT1986

The CX70 is usually high clamp, so your placement issue may continue. It is also intended for a larger chainring combo.
Interesting! I use the CX70 on my triple, 46-37-24, works well. I was under the impression that it was long out of production, but some vendors still list it for a much higher price than I paid for mine. it is spec'ed for a double rather than a triple, but works well for the triple.