Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New to carbon

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New to carbon

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 09:25 PM
CrBiker96

Bikes: XDS MT3 XT, SCALE 940 2017, GIANT CONTEND SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
New to carbon

Hello, i just bought a new bike with a carbon frame,

Silly questions, as I´m used to aluminum,

Should I go and ride without any protection on the frame? mine is as it came from the store,

Do you guys use any kind of vinil or something? I just wonder if the little rocks hitting in the bottom tube could make some damage,

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-23, 06:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
They make frame protection kits you might see if they make one for your bike. Carbon is a better material and potentially stronger because of the flex in it and the dampening properties it can handle more than an aluminum frame can but in the end does have its weak points in a crash situation.

It never hurts to protect your frame.
Old 10-05-23, 08:16 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, if it were mine. But if you anticipate maybe selling it after a year, then sure, appearance counts as a factor in the price. Scuff marks from bag attachment straps don't affect the bike's function to any great degree.
​​​​​​

Old 10-05-23, 08:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Every bike I wrap the chainstay to protect it from chain slap. The newer derailleurs have clutches which largely eliminate this but I've still had it once or twice with my 11sp XT kit, at this point I think I just like the look too. I also toss electrical tape under any place the housing rubs against the frame, started doing it more when the housing on my wife's gravel bike wore a groove in the aluminum. If really worried a cheap one can be strapping an old section of tire under the downtube though I see this very infrequently on XC and Trail bikes, and I've seen more damage under the downtube from pedal rub while on a bike rack than actual dents or cracks from a crash, but for DH and freeride it might not be a bad idea.
Old 10-06-23, 09:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I use the lizard skins downtube protector and the lizard skins chainstay protector.

Because I occasionally ride rock gardens, I have a custom made skid plate to protect the bottom bracket and lower part of the downtube.
Old 10-06-23, 09:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Carbon is tough stuff and if you do any aggressive riding it will get dinged and scratched. After the first one it is no big deal.
Old 10-06-23, 03:16 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Congrats!

Got my first CF bike, a mountain bike, this summer and it came with armoring under the downtube and BB shell, and on top of the drive-side chain stay. You might consider adding something to yours--I expect there are bike-specific kits, plus DIY options like helicopter tape. No idea how much of a PITA they might be to cut and apply w/o screwing up.
Old 10-07-23, 05:14 PM
CrBiker96

Bikes: XDS MT3 XT, SCALE 940 2017, GIANT CONTEND SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone!
Old 12-14-23, 08:23 AM
The Wookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love Carbon bikes. Never had to protect the frame as super strong but then again I wasn’t pushing it to it’s limits.