Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Patch Tubes Anymore?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Does Anyone Patch Tubes Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 10:51 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
What happens to all these old tubes? Landfill?
Yes.
Old 02-28-24, 10:55 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Yes.
Old 02-28-24, 11:36 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Or you could just go and buy some actual patches - they're not expensive
I always patch my tubes - once they're up to 3-4 patches, it's time to retire them. I avoid "patch kits" - the little tubes of glue inevitably dry out once they're unsealed, and you're stuck without glue the next time you need it. I usually experience 1-2 flats/year, so I don't patch often. I bought a selection of patches and a ~100ml tin of "Slime" rubber cement ~5 years ago (Amazon IIRC - ~$6), with a proper screw-down lid, so it doesn't dry out. Based on how it has lasted up to now, I suspect that this will last me the rest of my life.
Old 02-28-24, 11:42 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have been saving up my old tubes to ship to one of you who patch; I am at 3 so far. Sorry, choddo, you are too far.
Old 02-28-24, 11:47 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I have been saving up my old tubes to ship to one of you who patch; I am at 3 so far. Sorry, choddo, you are too far.
https://naparecycling.com/guide/bike-inner-tubes/
Just saying
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-28-24, 12:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

No problem, and thanks for the suggestion, but:

1. The website does not provide any information whether my local REI or Trek dealer is participating.
2. Even assuming yes to #1, it seems more environmentally friendly for another BF member to patch and use my tubes than for Alchemy Goods to turn them into something else altogether.
Old 02-28-24, 01:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If I flatted often, I'd patch. But since I don't flat very often, I'm lacking the skill to do it well. And the glue is usually dried up from that first time I opened it up. So a big waste to me.

Besides, I find too many uses for the old inner tubes. Cut them up into strips and they are good to use as ties to go around open partially used bags of fertilizer and other bags. Or even to wrap around cabinets I build and glue up instead of having to have a couple dozen more expensive cabinet clamps. Once you get use to using them for other things, you'll find all sorts of stuff to do with them.
Old 02-28-24, 02:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
i patch, but as noted I only use Rema patch kits....I have tried other kits and the peel and stick patches and nothing works as well

IMHO silly economy to try anything else like contact cement and bits of rubber

I also have had better luck with quality tubes than cheapies

FWIW I carry 2 tubes, patch kit, co2 and a pump.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-28-24, 02:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
In most cases, yes. The charity shop where I volunteer is part of an urban farm. We don't have a budget for new tubes (we rely totally on donations), so we patch tubes whenever possible. When it is not possible, we send the derelict tubes to the farm, where they use them to provide support for various crops, e.g. branches on fruit trees, etc.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-28-24, 02:46 PM
choddo

No problem, and thanks for the suggestion, but:

1. The website does not provide any information whether my local REI or Trek dealer is participating.
2. Even assuming yes to #1, it seems more environmentally friendly for another BF member to patch and use my tubes than for Alchemy Goods to turn them into something else altogether.
For sure. Maybe we should set up some kind of system that brings the tubers and the patchers together??
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-28-24, 03:04 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Bought a 100-pack of Tip Top patches and a can of Patching cement (with handy brush).
I fix all the tubes I can, but there are always some failures that can't be patched and others that just accumulate too many of them.
Tubes cost a lot more lately so the incentive is certainly there.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 02-28-24, 03:33 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I don’t. I don’t trust the patch, and once I’ve put a spare tube in to ride home, I’m not patching a tube and reinstalling it—lazy I guess. Fortunately I have pretty good luck avoiding flats or it would get expensive.
Old 02-28-24, 03:41 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
One of my local bike shops recycles them somehow. There's a bin in the service area where folks can drop them off.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-28-24, 04:35 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I buy a can of Rema vulcanizing fluid and pour it into a small glass vial. I put into the calendar to check the state of the fluid every 6 months. If necessary, I add a solvent. The Rema fluid is usable for about 4 years. Incidentally, I may use it outside of patching, e.g., to glue back together slices of a grip shortened for a handlebar configuration that gets changed. The handlebar rubber is very porous and holds like it was never cut after gluing.
Old 02-28-24, 05:43 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Sure do. Rema patches. And reuse the patched tunes with a new tire unless there are too many patches and I have a new tube the correct size.
Old 02-28-24, 06:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Schwalbe has a recycling program that seems to have been in operation since 2015. The problem is that they don’t offer any information on recycling locations. I may have to get my co-ops involved.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-28-24, 06:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Schwalbe has a recycling program that seems to have been in operation since 2015. The problem is that they don’t offer any information on recycling locations. I may have to get my co-ops involved.
I doubt that Schwalbe would patch the tubes for reuse by cyclists; too much liability. So recycling through Schwalbe may only make sense if it allows Schwalbe to reduce the overall energy or raw material used to make a certain number of new tubes or tires. May still be more environmentally friendly for me just to ship my old tubes to another BF member who knows how to patch.
Old 02-28-24, 06:41 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I doubt that Schwalbe would patch the tubes for reuse by cyclists; too much liability. So recycling through Schwalbe may only make sense if it allows Schwalbe to reduce the overall energy or raw material used to make a certain number of new tubes or tires. May still be more environmentally friendly for me just to ship my old tubes to another BF member who knows how to patch.
The link details what they do and even provides energy savings (80%) over virgin rubber.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-28-24, 06:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The link details what they do and even provides energy savings (80%) over virgin rubber.
Nice! I did not see the link just now. Hmmm, but it is unclear whether Schwalbe accepts other brands of punctured tubes.
Old 02-28-24, 06:43 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If I flatted often, I'd patch. But since I don't flat very often, I'm lacking the skill to do it well. And the glue is usually dried up from that first time I opened it up. So a big waste to me.

Besides, I find too many uses for the old inner tubes. Cut them up into strips and they are good to use as ties to go around open partially used bags of fertilizer and other bags. Or even to wrap around cabinets I build and glue up instead of having to have a couple dozen more expensive cabinet clamps. Once you get use to using them for other things, you'll find all sorts of stuff to do with them.
A few years ago, I used strips from an inner tube as a makeshift spring when the aluminum anchor for the spring on a Suntour front derailleur on my commuting bike broke off. The derailleur seemed to work slightly more smoothly with the rubber strip. I eventually got around to replacing the derailleur.

In the early '70's, a friend of mine wanted to figure out how to get his motorcycle to a repair shop 5 miles away without having to pay to get it towed and asked me if I had any ideas. I strung a series of inner tubes and tubular tires from my little Volvo's rear bumper to the handlebar stem on his motorcycle, and off we went, with him sitting on his bike and grinning all the way.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-28-24, 08:04 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Boy Scout?
Old 02-28-24, 10:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
i patch, but as noted I only use Rema patch kits....I have tried other kits and the peel and stick patches and nothing works as well

IMHO silly economy to try anything else like contact cement and bits of rubber

I also have had better luck with quality tubes than cheapies

Originally Posted by SpedFast
Boy Scout?
Eagle and order of the Arrow...and my dad was the first silver beaver award for leadership in montana

but I have had cases where I used both spares and then had to patch. I never used to use C02....but pumping a tire and then having to repump after the valve failed on a 105 day lead me to Co2

I also carry spare valves and valve tool

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-28-24, 10:58 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
.... I never used to use C02....but pumping a tire and then having to repump after the valve failed on a 105 day lead me to Co2

I also carry spare valves and valve tool
I carry CO2 simply because that allows me to carry a cheap Bell pump. If it "gets legs", I'm not out much.
Pump the tire up about 20-30 PSI to check bead seating etc. If good, add about 10 more if the pump is still up to it and then hit it with the cartridge. On paper, that should be about right if not a tic low. Plenty good enough to get home on my skinny tires.
I haven't had a flat on that bike to find out how well theory works.
Old 02-28-24, 11:55 PM
cyccommute 

Nice! I did not see the link just now. Hmmm, but it is unclear whether Schwalbe accepts other brands of punctured tubes.
In the “I'm Already Enrolled in the Schwalbe Tube Recycling Program”, they give details about collection process.

THE CONTENTlease only collect used butyl bicycle inner tubes in the package!
All brands are allowed!

Attention! Please do not return tubes filled with Sealant of any variety! The Sealant leaks out and soaks the boxes during transport.
They take any tubes except those with sealant…and nobody likes messing with those!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-29-24, 12:56 AM
tesla_exp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lionheart
I kind of like the idea of not throwing away a tube for one little pinch flat. OTOH, I don’t have any patches. Can I use rubber cement and little scraps of tube? Does that work?
No, i'd just get a tube from Amazon and replace it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.