Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you hate looking like a roadie?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you hate looking like a roadie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 01:50 PM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecopXXX
i guess people dress like lance cause they wanna be seen as "racers". kinda like car commuters wearing nomex driving suits and full face helmets inside their Lincoln Navigators. once bikes are more accepted as transportation and less as toys, "normal clothes riding" will be more common.
Analogy fail. Key Difference: driving = nonphysical activity, biking = physical activity. Therefore it is often impractical for people to cycle to work in clothes that they will work in and could drive in. I have to wear something different to ride to work than I wear at work. So sometimes I wear cycling specific gear because it is comfortable and is well suited to cycling. I am not going to wear jeans and a t-shirt to ride my bike because I don't see any reason to be uncomfortable on purpose.
Old 12-11-08, 01:54 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
once bikes are more accepted as transportation and less as toys, "normal clothes riding" will be more common.
"Normal clothes riding" will never be popular when the distance is more than a few miles.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 12-11-08, 02:05 PM
highroller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont need to dress like you are in a cycle race to commute no matter how long the distance.
Old 12-11-08, 02:06 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess people dress like lance cause they wanna be seen as "racers". kinda like car commuters wearing nomex driving suits and full face helmets inside their Lincoln Navigators. once bikes are more accepted as transportation and less as toys, "normal clothes riding" will be more common.
(disclaimer: the following does not apply to anyone who wears lycra or street clothes of any kind, for reasons of comfort, performance, practicality, etc etc)

The issue is not lycra or fancy jeans per se. Not everyone who wears a full kit is doing it for image control. There are practical benefits to lycra. I am miserable on long hilly rides in the Summer in anything but bike shorts. And there are practical benefits for choosing casual bike specific clothing. I don't like wearing bike shorts on easy rides to social events, but cuffs get caught in the chain. I roll my pant legs up and incorporate it into my style.

But as Thoreau noted, "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."

The idea of "normal clothes riding" becoming more common as bikes are more accepted as transportation is simply not true. It's not exclusive to bicycling. It's American poseur culture. It happened in Japan post WWII, and it's happening here now. It's a product of homogenized suburban life, which sends many humans into an identity crisis of sorts. This craving for meaning and individuality, in the face of the mundane, is funneled into one of many subgenres, such as punk, goth, hipster, cyclist, vampyre, neo-pagan, etc. etc. As long as this need to self-label into an exclusive small group, in search of identity, and by means of appearance exists, there will be cyclists who ride full kit for the sake of image, and cyclists who ride fixed gear in tight jeans, for the sake of image.
Old 12-11-08, 02:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by highroller
dont need to dress like you are in a cycle race to commute no matter how long the distance.
My taint says otherwise. Maybe it's more sensitive than most, but I doubt it.
Old 12-11-08, 02:10 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It depends on what you mean by that.

If you mean I don't need company logos and colored panels plastered all over my body, sure.

If you mean I don't need the cycling shorts and jersey, you were misinformed.
Old 12-11-08, 02:14 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dang it!
Does that mean I can't wear a nascar fire suit while driving my car? Man. Y'all are so picky. We really need a rule book to make everyone happy.

Rules:
1) You can't wear lycra while riding a bike to work
2) Wearing normal clothes is also bad.
3) Thus, you may only ride to work in a suit, tux, or swimwear.
4) You must move closer to work.
5) All riders in an area with weather not conducive to cycling must move or drive a car.
Old 12-11-08, 02:24 PM
bikecopXXX

Bikes: steel ones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BroadSTPhilly
Analogy fail. Key Difference: driving = nonphysical activity, biking = physical activity. Therefore it is often impractical for people to cycle to work in clothes that they will work in and could drive in. I have to wear something different to ride to work than I wear at work. So sometimes I wear cycling specific gear because it is comfortable and is well suited to cycling. I am not going to wear jeans and a t-shirt to ride my bike because I don't see any reason to be uncomfortable on purpose.

allow me to clarify. by normal clothes, i mean normal-looking, as in no gaudy TEAM-issue racer wear. I am fully aware that cotton jeans etc. do not work for commuting. I must have wicking, wind-blocking type fabrics. no argument. My issue is with people needing to look racey.

if bikes are serious commuting vehicles, then no racer wear is needed. just like commuting in a car.

better?
Old 12-11-08, 02:25 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really think that a lot of this is really insecurity about ourselves, expressed outwardly.

The newbie Fred wearing expensive full kit, and going super slow? Why hate him/her? It's their own money they spent, and you can pass them.

The emo kid with tight jeans and over-dyed hair? Why hate him/her? You're more comfortable being and acting as you are, so keep riding.

The fast roadie that left you in the dust on that huge climb, wearing lycra and riding on carbon fiber? If you're not jealous, then just keep pedaling.

That hipster wearing vintage wingtips and pedaling down the road? Maybe he really does have an in depth understanding of existentialist literature, and his band actually sounds really good. You don't know.

We have a hard time getting over other people and how they look, because we've bought into the labels. We craft imaginary behaviors for these people, and pretend to judge them on those (that roadie is a rich snob, that hipster drinks overpriced PBR and is a pseudo-intellectual). But really, we're judging them on how they look... And when it ruffles our feathers, it shows what we fear about ourselves. We fear becoming a poseur ourselves, so we have to condemn it in its hypothetical manifestation in others.

Just ride and let ride.
Old 12-11-08, 02:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
allow me to clarify. by normal clothes, i mean normal-looking, as in no gaudy TEAM-issue racer wear. I am fully aware that cotton jeans etc. do not work for commuting. I must have wicking, wind-blocking type fabrics. no argument. My issue is with people needing to look racey.

if bikes are serious commuting vehicles, then no racer wear is needed. just like commuting in a car.

better?
Okay, but my wife is going to complain when the package of generic jerseys and shorts arrives from Nashbar. She's going to say "Why did you buy all those bike clothes when you have a whole drawer full of team kit?"

And I'll say "Well, some guy on the internet says I look lame if I wear team kit on my ride to work."
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zeytoun
I really think that a lot of this is really insecurity about ourselves, expressed outwardly.
I have a more pragmatic theory. A lot of this is really sheer boredom at our jobs, expressed sneakily.
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Individual style is completely unnecessary for survival. We ought to all switch to plain, uniform clothing. I'm guessing you already have?

Seriously, stop pretending that we don't each like to exhibit our personal style. I have a funny moustache, and wear fedoras and argyle socks. Some people like "racer" jerseys. Some people like t-shirts and jeans. It's all vanity, but so what?
Old 12-11-08, 02:31 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a more pragmatic theory. A lot of this is really sheer boredom at our jobs, expressed sneakily.
Oh, you're right, I'm sure.

Obsession with what the other earthlings are doing is universal. (I'm here commenting too)

(I was referring more narrowly to the condemnation of others for their style choices)
Old 12-11-08, 02:35 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 134 posts, not ONE person has mentioned bent riders.

We all know those lazy good for nothings have beards and are either professors or engineers.

It's part of their club. They got their own secret handshake and stuff....

P.S. (Is my sarcas-o-meter turned on??)
Old 12-11-08, 02:43 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
allow me to clarify. by normal clothes, i mean normal-looking, as in no gaudy TEAM-issue racer wear.
So what the hell, now we have to spend $360 for a pair of jeans, just so we won't look like we're wearing cycling-specific clothes and thereby pop certain people's insecurity breakers. And the thread comes full circle.

As one of my favorite beer commercials said, "Duh-umb."
Old 12-11-08, 02:44 PM
bikecopXXX

Bikes: steel ones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Individual style is completely unnecessary for survival. We ought to all switch to plain, uniform clothing. I'm guessing you already have?

Seriously, stop pretending that we don't each like to exhibit our personal style. I have a funny moustache, and wear fedoras and argyle socks. Some people like "racer" jerseys. Some people like t-shirts and jeans. It's all vanity, but so what?
yes pretty much, except for reflective bits. I do have a style. it's just not racer style. why pretend. i'm slow and i know it.
Old 12-11-08, 02:47 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The newbie Fred wearing expensive full kit, and going super slow? Why hate him/her? It's their own money they spent, and you can pass them.

The emo kid with tight jeans and over-dyed hair? Why hate him/her? You're more comfortable being and acting as you are, so keep riding.

The fast roadie that left you in the dust on that huge climb, wearing lycra and riding on carbon fiber? If you're not jealous, then just keep pedaling.

That hipster wearing vintage wingtips and pedaling down the road? Maybe he really does have an in depth understanding of existentialist literature, and his band actually sounds really good. You don't know.

We have a hard time getting over other people and how they look, because we've bought into the labels. We craft imaginary behaviors for these people, and pretend to judge them on those (that roadie is a rich snob, that hipster drinks overpriced PBR and is a pseudo-intellectual). But really, we're judging them on how they look... And when it ruffles our feathers, it shows what we fear about ourselves. We fear becoming a poseur ourselves, so we have to condemn it in its hypothetical manifestation in others.

Just ride and let ride.
I have a theory. You over analyze.
Are you a psych major or professional in said field? Your posts do actually make sense.
Old 12-11-08, 02:48 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
Repeat after me for any monitoring.

I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
I love my job.
My CEO is swell.
Old 12-11-08, 02:49 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
In 134 posts, not ONE person has mentioned bent riders.

We all know those lazy good for nothings have beards and are either professors or engineers.

It's part of their club. They got their own secret handshake and stuff....

P.S. (Is my sarcas-o-meter turned on??)
You can't get Jabba the Hut in a kit. Burlap bag- maybe.

Old 12-11-08, 03:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
It depends on what you mean by that.

If you mean I don't need company logos and colored panels plastered all over my body, sure.

If you mean I don't need the cycling shorts and jersey, you were misinformed.
+!
Old 12-11-08, 04:11 PM
Dheorl

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never get what the thing is with normal clothes and cycling. I've done some pretty hefty rides and have never owned a single piece of cycle clothing (may change soon... will just have to wait and see) and never had any comfort problems.

Mind you, I did all those rides with flat bars as well which everyone *****es and moans about and the only problem I had with comfort was that I have rubbish grips and occasionally forgot to wear gloves.
Old 12-11-08, 04:19 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dheorl
I never get what the thing is with normal clothes and cycling. I've done some pretty hefty rides and have never owned a single piece of cycle clothing (may change soon... will just have to wait and see) and never had any comfort problems.

Mind you, I did all those rides with flat bars as well which everyone *****es and moans about and the only problem I had with comfort was that I have rubbish grips and occasionally forgot to wear gloves.
I used to ride everywhere in regular clothes too. It's not like I was ever in excruciating pain or anything. Now I find I'm more comfortable in cycling clothes (at least shorts) when riding longer distances.
Old 12-11-08, 04:25 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
1. Wearing NY Giants football jersey while cycling - fine
2. Wearing Boston Celtics Basketball shorts while cycling - not real attractive but also fine
3. Wearing any cycling team jersey while cycling - not fine

Huh?

I'm assuming that wearing a NY Giants football jersey while playing a pickup football game is also OK. Shouldn't it be OK to wear a cycling team jersey while cycling?

I don't own a football jersey (anymore) or a real cycling jersey but I don't see what the problem is.

See Sig. FWIW I was afraid the lycra wars had taken a winter break.
Old 12-11-08, 04:25 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I have a theory. You over analyze.
So where exactly is the over-analysis? The whole comment was pointing out how you don't know jack about someone based on appearance. How is that over-analysis? Seems like the opposite to me.
Old 12-11-08, 04:26 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just because you can do something a certain way doesn't mean a better or at least a different method exists.
Cycling clothing has been around for quite sometime for very good reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.