Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 07:06 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redxj
Here is my thrift store find from today, a vintage leather camera case for $5. It will be modified into a handlebar bag using a VO decaleur mount and support from the bottom by my nitto rack.

That's neat. Definitely post pics when you're done. I've been thinking about doing something similar.
-Gene-
Old 02-02-09, 07:11 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grim
Made up today for the beaters I have been getting of late.

I am Still looking for a 27 inch wheel set to fix this Mixte aka the "face eraser" (she face planted in the first 200 feet she rode it) I picked up with the wife in mind.

So I walk into the local thrift I have near me that I got the Mixte at. Go walking over to the bike area and I see a very dirty and very small red and white drop bar road bike. It is off to the side behind a shelf like somebody was trying to hide it.

Look at the back wheel and yep it is a 27 inch. I lift the bike give the wheel a spin and it is just as close to perfect as one could ever hope. I really start looking at the bike Araya rims, Sakae SA cranks, decent Shimano light action derailleurs, Indexed down tube shifter...not ratchets these are indexed. Diacompe "junior" handles and Diacompe calipers.

I get really looking...this bike has hardly EVER been ridden. The chain has that new chain "grease" feel in fact the grease has gelled to the point it is stiff. The cassette is dusty but not grease covered. The tires look new. The grip tape is perfect. The gum hoods are still supple. This is a NEW 1987 bike that has sat in somebody's garage for the last 22 year.
I start rolling and I just about have to lean over to hold this bike by the stem......and suddenly I realize just how tiny this bike it. The front wheel is a 24 inch!

It is a "Georgena Terry" the model is "Gambit" and it is a early version.. Heard of Terry saddles but never a Terry bike. Turns out this is a women's specific bike designed by the woman who founded the company. The tire stagger is to help with toe overlap. The best part is it is exactly my 5ft tall wife's size.
What Sheldon says. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/terry/index.html

Nothing is bent. I was close trying to hide some of the clutter and it has a bit of a fisheye effect.
Gotta love that. Terry bikes are awesome - the first of the WSD bikes.
Old 02-02-09, 08:31 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
Gotta love that. Terry bikes are awesome - the first of the WSD bikes.
Especially for $10.47 with tax.
Old 02-02-09, 08:39 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grim
Especially for $10.47 with tax.
Ok, now you just suck....
Old 02-02-09, 10:20 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
Ok, now you just suck....
Old 02-03-09, 12:58 AM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm going to post my 2 best

I'm new here and haven't posted any of my great finds until tonight. The first is a Centurion Accordo. I picked up as I walked past a guy setting up a Saturday morning garage sale. He was just hanging a sign on it that said "free" (that has to be the one of the best signs I've ever seen). The equipment was in such bad shape that I had to strip it all off, and I could never get the derailler to attach again properly (it doesn't have a brazed on hanger) so I took the cheap route and turned it into a fixed gear. I know some consider that sacrilege, but I'm confessing now and may do penance later.

The second is the best find ever, it cost me $5 more than the Centurion but it's worth every cent. A Fuji America Touring Series V. The bike was being used as a clothes rack at a garage sale just over a week ago, when I bought it the lady was obviously upset that she had to find a new place to hang the wetsuit and other clothes she had on it. I'm still in the process of cleaning and lubing everything. This one will stay original, and get used frequently. I'll post final pictures in a couple of weeks after I complete it.
Old 02-03-09, 05:32 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That Fuji is a real nice. Looks good even with the dust and the missing bar wrap. Great catch.

The fixie looks nice too. (Don't want mr. centurion to feel left out.)
Old 02-03-09, 10:22 AM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So on the way to work today I snagged a Nishiki Bravo mountain bike. Hi-ten welded frame, Shimano Tourney SIS drive train. Looks to be in pretty decent shape and I think it is a 96 or 97 model year. I feel a quick flip coming on. Picture tonight.
Old 02-03-09, 11:24 AM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How come I could never find deals like that when I was in Cleveland? Oh yeah, stuck in CSU theatre and Convo. Where abouts you in the cleve?
Old 02-03-09, 11:39 AM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by droobieinop
How come I could never find deals like that when I was in Cleveland? Oh yeah, stuck in CSU theatre and Convo. Where abouts you in the cleve?
I am in Brecksville and work at CASE. I am a CSU alum -- not much pickings around a commuter campus.
Old 02-03-09, 12:01 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OT... again... used to love riding past CASE, up mayfield to coventry and back down from shaker square... thinks girl i'd dated is librarian at CASE? wish i coulda stayed.
Old 02-03-09, 08:41 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I pick up from the local CL today, 1970's I am guessing Gitane track standard that is close to my size too (61cm seat tube and 58cm top tube both ctc). I got it sans seat and front wheel. The crankset is a Sugino with an 1/8" Mighty competition 151bcd chainring with a date code of Nov. 1973 on the crank arms! The rear wheel is a Normandy track hub laced to a Mavic tubular wheel, but the build is on its last legs. Cambio Rino pedals with clips (not shown) and some Binda straps. The other really nice part is the Cinelli steel track drops on it!

And, just for the fun of it before the tear down, cleaning, and regreasing begins I put a saddle on and mounted up a spare pair of my track wheels. I can't believe it actually fits the 700c X 28 Rolly Polly tire in the back. Click it for a bigger pic btw.

Old 02-03-09, 08:48 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
I pick up from the local CL today, 1970's I am guessing Gitane track standard that is close to my size too (61cm seat tube and 58cm top tube both ctc). I got it sans seat and front wheel. The crankset is a Sugino with an 1/8" Mighty competition 151bcd chainring with a date code of Nov. 1973 on the crank arms! The rear wheel is a Normandy track hub laced to a Mavic tubular wheel, but the build is on its last legs. Cambio Rino pedals with clips (not shown) and some Binda straps. The other really nice part is the Cinelli steel track drops on it!

And, just for the fun of it before the tear down, cleaning, and regreasing begins I put a saddle on and mounted up a spare pair of my track wheels. I can't believe it actually fits the 700c X 28 Rolly Polly tire in the back. Click it for a bigger pic btw.

that thing is just awesome, and my size. Nice catch!
Did you get a good deal on it?

Old 02-03-09, 09:34 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Nice catch Matt!
Old 02-04-09, 05:51 PM
BikeMonger

Bikes: This week or last week?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have achance to get this old Englkish bike by CWS cycle works. Any one know anything about these. Sure looks to be a huge frame. Ill see if the guy takes my offer or not.

Let me know if anyone knows more about these bikes, I have never heard of them myself
Old 02-05-09, 03:31 PM
TeamRoundBoys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rotharpunc
Vintage Cannondale Touring Dumpster Find:

sorry poor lighting in my house, didn't feel like going back in the cold!
found it next to a dumpster when I went out for a walk to get some coffee. Had to ride it home on almost flat tires. Suntour 3000, Nitto stem, 3TTT bars, brazeons for everything and three sets of water bottle mounts. I'm not really a fan of Cannondales, but it does fit me and I have been wanting a touring machine.
Found the same frame only 58 cm in a dumpster 6 months ago. Built it up and gave it to my B-i-L. Took his too-small mtb in trade, modified and gave it to my S-i-L who was carless. She's lost 30 lbs.
Old 02-05-09, 04:12 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeMonger
I have achance to get this old Englkish bike by CWS cycle works. Any one know anything about these. Sure looks to be a huge frame. Ill see if the guy takes my offer or not.

Let me know if anyone knows more about these bikes, I have never heard of them myself
IMHO... Regardless of which English head badge it has, if that frame fits...and it's cheap ($25 to $35) ...buy it! Wow! Outside of a DL-1 there aren't that many options that I know of (not that I know that much ) for tall guys. SKS polycarbonate fenders, nice rear rack, replace chaingaurd...I am getting excited!
Old 02-05-09, 04:35 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TeamRoundBoys, that's what I call recycling!
Old 02-05-09, 10:24 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
that thing is just awesome, and my size. Nice catch!
Did you get a good deal on it?
Knowing redxj, I'd say yes.
Old 02-06-09, 12:47 AM
BikeMonger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
IMHO... Regardless of which English head badge it has, if that frame fits...and it's cheap ($25 to $35) ...buy it! Wow! Outside of a DL-1 there aren't that many options that I know of (not that I know that much ) for tall guys. SKS polycarbonate fenders, nice rear rack, replace chaingaurd...I am getting excited!
The guy decided to give it to a guy who does photography as a prop instead of sell it to me for $20, I even tried $25, he was a stone and didnt budge. Thats ok, see my next post and I found a few cool ones today! Nothing with a HUGE frame like that one had but cool!

I wish I could have gotten that CWS but I cant get them all!!

Later
Old 02-06-09, 01:07 AM
BikeMonger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I get a call today........

Guy calls me out of the blue and says he has some bikes for me, its an hours drive but what he had to say intruiged me.

Well I got a few cool bikes out of this deal.

One was a Old mans Hawthorn bike with a tank and a skip tooth sprocket, I gave that one to my Cruiser bike buddy and Ill get some pics later. NIce shape for an old rig.

OK heres the ones I got pics of.

Early 70 FUJI Special Tourer 10 spd with the rear drum brake in Attic stored condition. Near mint, for an old 10 speed. 26" steel rims. 20" frame with a 29" standover height, very tiny bike. Mostly all original but needs handle bar tape.

An Araya ??? 10 speed, steel frame 21", nice lugwork, make a good fixie project bike, this ones going on CL tomorrow.

A very cool CLEAN Mossberg 3 spd girls bike. I am told that the mossberg shotgun co. bought a bike factory and put there name on some bikes from 74-79 something like that. Not sure if it has any real collectable value but a nice clean vintage ride.

and a 1975 Schwinn fastback 5 speed, frame and parts. Front rim not original and I am not sure about that fork, maybe someone with more stingray knowledge can let me know. Nice solid frame, crank and sprocket and handlebars and brakes, I am going to strip it tomorrow, expect to see its butchered remains on eBay this weekend.

Just thought Id share today's bike booty!
Old 02-06-09, 01:13 AM
BikeMonger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is SWEET!

I have an old retired guy wants me to visit him, he says he has an old Peugout track bike he wants me to look at ......of coarse some guy told him its worth "like $600 Bucks!" so I am gong to visit him and see what it really is, maybe I can put him back on to earth and have a shot at it. Maybe next weeks hunt.
Old 02-06-09, 08:11 AM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts

Look as if someone had a generic BMX bike for parts laying around.
Old 02-06-09, 08:21 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Found at a junk yard.

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 02-06-09, 08:28 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs

Look as if someone had a generic BMX bike for parts laying around.
Clean it up and sell it for $950.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.