Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 07:58 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bonechilling
Paid $35 for this just twenty minutes ago.

Been riding one for 25 years. It's the one thing I would try to save if the house was burning.
Old 08-05-09, 09:15 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys...

This might be a catch for me. Any opinions? Value? I'm talking with the seller now. Thanks
Old 08-05-09, 11:14 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Anybody ever seen a Deore XT Shark Fin before?
[/QUOTE]

I had one of those on an old Raleigh Mtn bike. I forgot they even existed.
Old 08-05-09, 11:42 PM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^what do they do?
Old 08-06-09, 01:32 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by CMC SanDiego
Anybody ever seen a Deore XT Shark Fin before?
I have an NOS one that is still in it's package.

It serves as a chain stay protector.
Old 08-06-09, 05:20 AM
hagbard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudu93
If you all lived closer, you could have it!!!!!!!. It actually rides nice and should clean up pretty well.
I think I'm the closest. In Kingsville Ontario, near Detroit.
Old 08-06-09, 05:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
Hey guys...

This might be a catch for me. Any opinions? Value? I'm talking with the seller now. Thanks
I can't see much from here, but it looks good. Particularly, I can't tell what the frame is made of, but the wheels look light, so how about $200 USD.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-09, 11:17 AM
Spc_Cdt

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (2000), Marin Muirwoods (2006), Sekine RM-40 (1977)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marinoni Pista Special

Hey guys,

Whilst on the lookout for a frame to build a commuter fixie (and train for the 'drome while being 6hrs away from the 'drome), I came across this for 150CAD:

Marinoni Pista Special, 53cm (no SN on BB... will take a look at fork upon disassembly)
Columbus Acciaio Speciale tubing
3T Competizione handlebar (and stem?)
Campagnolo headset
Sugino 49T crankset, 171mm (SN 48-11.. I'm guessing March 1973)
BB ? (will know upon disassembly)
Zeus Grand Sport pedals with ALE (made in Torino) toe cages

I put on the wheels from my track bike, just so I could test ride my new puppy. And added vintage Marinoni leather straps because my LBS happened to have some...
Wow, does he ever run smooth!!!
Of course I need to repack the bearings, rust-proof, and wax (and give it its own set of wheels)...
But WOW! I can't believe it - I'm the new owner of a vintage steel track bike

The owner was selling it for his brother, who used to race it on the velodrome in Montreal in the 80s. When the 'drome closed *sadness* he shelved it, then moved away and forgot about it. Cleaning up the garage, they were just going to throw it out (!) but figured they may get a few coins for it. The frame's in mint shape with only a few scratches. There seems to be evidence of a 2nd paint job (the lugs are smoothed out from an extra coat of pain?) and of waxing to keep it in great shape (white residue at the lugs).

I love my new bike!
I'm contacting Marinoni to find out more about the bike. I'm also saving up to send it to them so they can repaint it to original specs. I'd love to get the frame tested to see if I can bring it up to the track. It would make a great warm-up bike for racing!!

If any of you have any info on this bike, it would be greatly appreciated. The LBS owner guesses it's a 1983, which would fit the history, but given the date on the crank I'm starting to think it was much earlier.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-06-09, 12:13 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Spc - What a sweet deal.
Old 08-06-09, 12:37 PM
BOBSONATOR
Klaus Pierre-Action Star

Bikes: 86' Samurai Shogun

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 i want a vintage track bike
Old 08-06-09, 12:48 PM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOOOOOK what I found
maybe I'm the only one really excited out this - a 1986 (I think) Ross Piranha - vintage looptail bmx!
its a 16" so my cousin is going to get it once I fix it up and I am jealous of the kid!
Old 08-06-09, 01:29 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale Touring Bike....I'm happy...I had expected this one to be much crappier & much crustier...but it's in great mechanical shape with all the components upgraded from whatever the original gear was....guess the stars were aligned yesterday...and my size too!

Old 08-06-09, 01:30 PM
digitalbicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I can't see much from here, but it looks good. Particularly, I can't tell what the frame is made of, but the wheels look light, so how about $200 USD.
I dunno, $200 for stamped dropouts and stem shifters seems pretty high to me.
Old 08-06-09, 01:37 PM
mainducoyote

Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spc_Cdt
Hey guys,

Whilst on the lookout for a frame to build a commuter fixie (and train for the 'drome while being 6hrs away from the 'drome), I came across this for 150CAD:

Marinoni Pista Special, 53cm (no SN on BB... will take a look at fork upon disassembly)
Campagnolo headset

I put on the wheels from my track bike, just so I could test ride my new puppy. And added vintage Marinoni leather straps because my LBS happened to have some...
Of course I need to repack the bearings, rust-proof, and wax (and give it its own set of wheels)...

The owner was selling it for his brother, who used to race it on the velodrome in Montreal in the 80s. When the 'drome closed *sadness* he shelved it, then moved away and forgot about it. Cleaning up the garage, they were just going to throw it out (!) but figured they may get a few coins for it. The frame's in mint shape with only a few scratches. There seems to be evidence of a 2nd paint job (the lugs are smoothed out from an extra coat of pain?) and of waxing to keep it in great shape (white residue at the lugs).

I love my new bike!
I'm contacting Marinoni to find out more about the bike. I'm also saving up to send it to them so they can repaint it to original specs. I'd love to get the frame tested to see if I can bring it up to the track. It would make a great warm-up bike for racing!!

If any of you have any info on this bike, it would be greatly appreciated. The LBS owner guesses it's a 1983, which would fit the history, but given the date on the crank I'm starting to think it was much earlier.

I'll keep you updated.
Great deal ! They ride very nicely. Btw the cost of a repaint at Marinoni is surprisingly cheap , about as much as you paid for the bike though
Old 08-06-09, 06:00 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
Cannondale Touring Bike....I'm happy...I had expected this one to be much crappier & much crustier...but it's in great mechanical shape with all the components upgraded from whatever the original gear was....guess the stars were aligned yesterday...and my size too!

Looks like something I'd ride.,,,,BD
Old 08-06-09, 06:10 PM
mastronaut
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Real dump find!

I found this gem today, I have no info on it but I'll probably add some new tires and clean er up for some flippage....

Old 08-06-09, 06:41 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That didn't come out of GA did it? There was a similar one for sale last Friday. I skipped on looking at it for lack of time, could tell it was to small for me and to big for my wife.

Ohhh here is where you can figure out what it is and what it came with. https://www.vintagecannondale.com/
Old 08-06-09, 06:47 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bum bum bum this was at my door when I woke up. it's in very good shape too!

Old 08-06-09, 07:12 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Spc_Cdt
Hey guys,

Campagnolo headset

I love my new bike!

I'll keep you updated.
Dang, dang, dang! Nice, if you ever track one down in a 58, I would drive to Ottawa to get it. Sweet deal and yeah, as mainducoyote said, Marinoni are very approachable and easy to reach. They have records of their serial numbers back into the '80s and were able to help me identify a Marinoni road bike that I had so I am sure they could help you out.
Old 08-06-09, 07:32 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the c'dale did come from GA...conveniently located along our route to FL for a family trip yesterday. There was another one on the atl CL in the last few days, though...it may be what you were thnking of. The guy who had mine had it listed for sale, but it was pretty obscure....obscure enough that I'm still surprised to have stumbled into it. Now, I need to learn how to mount the front rack + all the panniers...
Old 08-06-09, 07:47 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, the c'dale did come from GA...conveniently located along our route to FL for a family trip yesterday. There was another one on the atl CL in the last few days, though...it may be what you were thnking of. The guy who had mine had it listed for sale, but it was pretty obscure....obscure enough that I'm still surprised to have stumbled into it. Now, I need to learn how to mount the front rack + all the panniers...
My Neighborhood borders Bells Ferry two exit south of hwy 92 on 575. I told him (Jon) to contact me if the buyer didn't get the touring gear with it. What was the gear he had for it?

What did you end up paying for it with the gear?

Last edited by Grim; 08-06-09 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 08:06 PM
thedevilisbad

Bikes: Charge Juicer, modified Giant hybrid for touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also have a Cannondale Touring (ST 600) that was given, yes GIVEN, to me! I love it, I even get decent speeds on it (avg. 25 so far, and I'm a beginner).

Old 08-06-09, 08:32 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it was the front rack + 4 panniers, a couple extra rear clusters with different gearing, the freewheel (? freehub?) tool + new chain....he may have had more touring stuff, I dunno. we'd talked about that and I was happy enough & yesterday I didn't have an abundance of time to chat when I was picking it up. I'm surprised, obscurely advertised or not, he didn't sell it to someone else. I've been talking with a couple friends about doing some weekend touring trips this fall and this machine fits that niche perfectly.
Old 08-06-09, 09:27 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
All it needs is a little WD-40 on the pivots.
Old 08-06-09, 09:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
spc_cdt, you should be one proud Canadian to have that bike. Marinoni was (is?) an old school artisan.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.