Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Have You Ever Broken a Frame Removing Headset Cups?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 03:01 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts

I have not -- yet. But I think I am getting fairly close. I have this frame solidly clamped in a vice, and am taking pretty good swings at a removal-tool with a 5 pound sledge now. One cup is out, and the other is moving, but still has a couple millimeters to go. The removal tool just gave up the ghost, however, as it was unable to withstand the impact.

I am becoming concerned about the damage that I may be doing to this frame, which was probably not designed for these impacts. I suppose I will find out if it cracked when I sandblast off all the paint, which is the next step. Will have to check it for bends, as well.

All I wanted to do was re-paint the frame -- I wasn't trying to perform a destructive test on my welds.
Old 06-17-23, 03:15 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I’ve seen it go the other way. Where the cups pop out so easily that I’m concerned. In that situation I used the green press fit locktite to reinstall.

I can’t imagine a press fit that would be so tight as to withstand a 5lb sledge and break the tool. Even if it’s old and rusty.

Is it possible that the frame was deformed (crashed) and that a ripple is basically mechanically holding the cup in place? Or that for some crazy reason the cups have been pinned into place? Or even brazed? That would be crazy but might explain why it’s so hard.
Old 06-17-23, 03:20 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
regardless of how big a hammer you are using, make sure you are transferring that energy into moving the cup

when you say "clamped in a vice" please describe your setup?

sometimes getting somebody to hold the frame right behind the headtube helps

/markp
Old 06-17-23, 03:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
I have not -- yet. But I think I am getting fairly close. I have this frame solidly clamped in a vice, and am taking pretty good swings at a removal-tool with a 5 pound sledge now. One cup is out, and the other is moving, but still has a couple millimeters to go. The removal tool just gave up the ghost, however, as it was unable to withstand the impact.

I am becoming concerned about the damage that I may be doing to this frame, which was probably not designed for these impacts. I suppose I will find out if it cracked when I sandblast off all the paint, which is the next step. Will have to check it for bends, as well.

All I wanted to do was re-paint the frame -- I wasn't trying to perform a destructive test on my welds.
Clamping the frame in the vice ensures that much of the impact is being transmitted through the frame (which is acting as a spring) and is thus being absorbed by the frame and the vice.

Take the frame out of the vice, and have a helper simply hold the frame up loosely - grabbing it through layers of shop towels or the like, to ensure that the impact force isn't being absorbed anywhere but at the point of contact - and tap the the cup out gently (while moving the point of impact a few millimeters at a time) with a blunt punch or screwdriver or whatever tool you can safely adapt to the purpose.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-17-23, 03:34 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Is it possible that the frame was deformed (crashed) and that a ripple is basically mechanically holding the cup in place? Or that for some crazy reason the cups have been pinned into place? Or even brazed? That would be crazy but might explain why it’s so hard.
No. I installed these cups myself, seven years ago. They are not rusty, and the bike hasn't been crashed or otherwise mistreated. And, like I said, one is out and was tight, but the second one is really tight. It's moving, but it is recalcitrant.

They weren't this tight going in, either.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-23, 03:53 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by mpetry912
regardless of how big a hammer you are using, make sure you are transferring that energy into moving the cup
I am, thanks.

Originally Posted by mpetry912
when you say "clamped in a vice" please describe your setup?
sometimes getting somebody to hold the frame right behind the headtube helps
Let's test and see if I can post a picture for the first time, which may be worth a few dozen words.

Will all due respect, I am sure that I don't know anyone who is stronger than a 4 1/2" vise bolted to a large steel workbench, so I am sure that having a person attempt to hold the frame will not work better.
Old 06-17-23, 03:53 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Clamping the frame in the vice ensures that much of the impact is being transmitted through the frame (which is acting as a spring) and is thus being absorbed by the frame and the vice.

Take the frame out of the vice, and have a helper simply hold the frame up loosely - grabbing it through layers of shop towels or the like, to ensure that the impact force isn't being absorbed anywhere but at the point of contact - and tap the the cup out gently (while moving the point of impact a few millimeters at a time) with a blunt punch or screwdriver or whatever tool you can safely adapt to the purpose.
+1 on that. you want to get as much energy as possible into the cup so that it moves.

and not the frame, the vice, etc

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-17-23, 04:06 PM
TC1

That's not how physics work, I'm afraid. The headset removal tool has purchase only on the rim of the headset cup. When my hammer makes contact with the opposite end of the tool, the resulting force must necessarily be transmitted into the headset cup, in the direction of that hammer blow.

At this point, either the headset cup will either move -- if the force exceeds the friction between the cup and the frame -- or if not, it will transmit that force to the frame and whatever else the frame is in-contact with. But the force cannot skip the headset cup. That is a physical impossibility. And since exceeding the cup/frame friction is exactly the goal, I don't care where the force goes afterward, if that goal is not met.

And Newton's second law tells us that whatever force is applied to the headset cup by the tool must be opposed by an equal force. So, if the frame is held by a person, which is weaker than a vise, we are necessarily reducing the force that can be applied to the cup -- and critically, reducing it below the threshold of the friction between the cup and the frame.

Thanks, but what you describe is counterproductive.
Old 06-17-23, 04:16 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by TC1
That's not how physics work, I'm afraid. The headset removal tool has purchase only on the rim of the headset cup. When my hammer makes contact with the opposite end of the tool, the resulting force must necessarily be transmitted into the headset cup, in the direction of that hammer blow.

At this point, either the headset cup will either move -- if the force exceeds the friction between the cup and the frame -- or if not, it will transmit that force to the frame and whatever else the frame is in-contact with. But the force cannot skip the headset cup. That is a physical impossibility. And since exceeding the cup/frame friction is exactly the goal, I don't care where the force goes afterward, if that goal is not met.

And Newton's second law tells us that whatever force is applied to the headset cup by the tool must be opposed by an equal force. So, if the frame is held by a person, which is weaker than a vise, we are necessarily reducing the force that can be applied to the cup -- and critically, reducing it below the threshold of the friction between the cup and the frame.

Thanks, but what you describe is counterproductive.
That's what the other mechanics always used to say when I suggested that "use a bigger hammer" was not always the best route to take, let alone the only route. I eventually stopped attempting to educate and instead just used my technique to remove the recalcitrant headset cup or whatever it was. I suspect other veteran mechanics here are nodding their heads in agreement. We've all encountered the "That doesn't make sense, so I won't try it" response.

Honestly, I don't know why people find this so hard to grasp - especially in cases in which it works and the bigger-hammer approach doesn't.

Anyway, you're at a point where you're worried about damaging the frame. What can you lose by trying the (literally) low-impact approach I described?
Old 06-17-23, 04:22 PM
Trakhak

By the way, you say that the cup is part of the way out. Check to make sure that the cup isn't canted in the frame at this point. You need it to be as nearly flat as possible to keep it from wedging itself in place.
Old 06-17-23, 04:45 PM
TC1

Anyway, you're at a point where you're worried about damaging the frame. What can you lose by trying the (literally) low-impact approach I described?
Time. I didn't start with a big hammer. I started with a small one, with the frame in a typical repair stand -- which resembles the strength of a human. Didn't work -- due to the physics I previously described.

Thanks, I appreciate your effort, but what you describe does not comport with the physical laws as we understand them.
Old 06-17-23, 04:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
I am, thanks.

Let's test and see if I can post a picture for the first time, which may be worth a few dozen words.

Will all due respect, I am sure that I don't know anyone who is stronger than a 4 1/2" vise bolted to a large steel workbench, so I am sure that having a person attempt to hold the frame will not work better.
I've got no physics beyond HS but it seems if you whack something with a 5lb hammer and it doesn't move, something else connected might. Hopefully not the downtube. I think that may be why it was suggested someone hold the frame. Good luck!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-17-23, 04:51 PM
TC1

By the way, you say that the cup is part of the way out. Check to make sure that the cup isn't canted in the frame at this point. You need it to be as nearly flat as possible to keep it from wedging itself in place.
Thanks. It's straight to within six hundredths of a mm.
Old 06-17-23, 05:21 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
What headset tool are you using? The proper Park tool is less than $40 bucks on Amazon. There are also cheaper options.

Last edited by smd4; 06-17-23 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 05:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i'd bet that the lovely orange PAINT glued the cups in place....
Old 06-17-23, 05:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
That's not how physics work, I'm afraid....
I suggest you dosome.resesrch on how physics work in cases like this.

You might research anvils and dollys and discover how important they are to folks using hammers.

Your problem is analogous to hammering a nail into a 2x4 extending out from support.

In any case, I had positive suggestions but see you're more interested in proving you're smarter than those whose advice you"re seeking, than you are in saving your frame.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-17-23, 05:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
That's not how physics work, I'm afraid....
I suggest you do some resesrch on how physics works in cases like this.

You might research anvils and dollys and discover how important they are to folks using hammers.

Your problem is analogous to hammering a nail into a 2x4 extending out from support.

In any case, I had some positive suggestions but see you're more interested in proving you're smarter than those whose advice you"re seeking, than you are in saving your frame.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-17-23, 05:35 PM
TC1

"It's only metal. In the end, it always loses."
-- unknown

Took a break for dinner, but dropped an icecube down the headtube before I did. Two whacks after dinner, and out she came. No paint damage found, but we'll see what's underneath...

Thanks.
Old 06-17-23, 05:36 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by maddog34
i'd bet that the lovely orange PAINT glued the cups in place....
If that paint were sufficiently strong to do that, I wouldn't be repainting this frame.
Old 06-17-23, 05:46 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
If that paint were sufficiently strong to do that, I wouldn't be repainting this frame.
well... it certainly didn't Lubricate the cups, eh?
maybe the inside of the head tube was better "prepped" than the outside of the frame?

pressure creates heat.... add time and paint to the equation..

didja get that sucker out yet?
i've had a few stubborn ones, but they never required the 5 lb. sledge, just a 2.5 lb. drilling hammer and my "Do Not Use as a Punch!" punch. err, ALIGNMENT tool, placed in and tapped at three opposing locations around the cup... while holding the frame across my lap.. Some of those were in 60 year old-ish Raleighs...

you seem to have struck the mother load of sweat and swearing with this one. good luck!
Sorry to hear of the demise of the headset drift... bummer.

Last edited by maddog34; 06-17-23 at 06:02 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 06-17-23, 05:48 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I suggest you do some resesrch on how physics works in cases like this.
As a matter of fact, I own an anvil, and some dollies. Their usage is not applicable to this situation.

I've solved the problem, but if you'd like to discuss the relevant physics, we can. The bottom line is relatively simple. In order to remove the cup, we need to apply a force to it along a vector concentric with the headtube axis, and that force -- call it x -- must exceed the friction between the cup OD and the headtube ID. As previously mentioned, Newton explained to us that the force x must be opposed by an equal and opposite force exerted by the frame, call this -x. The same relationship holds between the frame and whatever supports it -- a vise, or a human, or what-have-you. I think it should be obvious that that support must be capable of resisting the x force -- otherwise the frame moves, and our energy is wasted on that movement, instead of overcoming the cup/tube friction, as was our goal.

So, to sum up, the support of the frame must be sufficiently strong to exceed the friction between the cup and tube, and increasing that strength does not hamper our efforts.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
So do you think that'd work better with a person holding that 2x4?
Old 06-17-23, 06:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
TC1 You are creating quite a name for yourself in just a few posts. Relax a little, a person who knows a lot of things knows they don't know everything and knows when to say hey I guess maybe I am unsure or maybe I feel sure but don't need to be cocky about it. Relax a little nobody here cares how smart or not you are if you know something great everyone knows something but it is a wise person that knows they don't know everything.

Glad you got it out eventually but something you hammer in over paint can easily get stuck by the paint from pressure and heat and all sorts of factors you may not like the idea of that happening because you installed it but that could easily be what happened and it is fine. In the end you got the cup out but for the future as you repaint make sure you mask off the inside of the head tube (or shave the paint well so it clears the cups and make sure you properly grease those cups before going in and you will have a much easier time down the road. Grease is your friend. I know it can seem expensive to some or silly because you don't want the cups to move but it really will help here and you can get pretty cheap grease from an auto store if you don't want to get a nice tub or tube of Phil Wood Waterproof Grease (which is my favorite generally).
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-17-23, 06:34 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

seems like the power of thermal expansion and contraction did the trick.

glad this is resolved.

/markp
Old 06-17-23, 08:26 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by veganbikes
TC1 You are creating quite a name for yourself in just a few posts. Relax a little, a person who knows a lot of things knows they don't know everything and knows when to say hey I guess maybe I am unsure or maybe I feel sure but don't need to be cocky about it.
That was exactly why I made this post. Unfortunately, most respondents looked only at the age of my account, and decided that I didn't know what I was doing.

I was hoping for actual advice that I didn't know -- perhaps "Don't worry, a 5 lb sledge is nothing compared to a 200 lb rider" or "I'd sacrifice the cups and cut them off before risking that".

Didn't really get any, though.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
In the end you got the cup out but for the future as you repaint make sure you mask off the inside of the head tube (or shave the paint well so it clears the cups and make sure you properly grease those cups before going in and you will have a much easier time down the road. Grease is your friend. I know it can seem expensive to some or silly because you don't want the cups to move but it really will help here and you can get pretty cheap grease from an auto store if you don't want to get a nice tub or tube of Phil Wood Waterproof Grease (which is my favorite generally).
I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease -- and probably way too much most of the time -- and whatever the Park product is called, on special occasions. I raced cars for about 25 years, and while there are certainly better wrenches than me, I understand the idea behind lubrication. These cups were greased when they went in, but the fit was apparently sufficiently tight that not much reached where it was required. Didn't know that at the time, but I do now, so I'll adjust accordingly.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-23, 08:34 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
I was hoping for actual advice that I didn't know -- perhaps "Don't worry, a 5 lb sledge is nothing compared to a 200 lb rider" or "I'd sacrifice the cups and cut them off before risking that".

Didn't really get any, though.
The advice you were given was solid. You resorted to a 5 pound sledgehammer? Seriously??

You don’t know what you’re doing.
Likes For smd4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.