Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

MTB for use on South Downs (United Kingdom) for a heavy rider

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 04:06 AM
craptakular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 40 years old big guy looking to get fitter and loose weight. I started the year at 24.5 stone. I am now 21.5 stone. I have been not eating so much rubbish, joined the gym and got a PT. This month I dug out my old bike that looks like a MTB but with really skinny tyres., but is not suitable for the South Downs.

What bikes do people recommend to go on the South Downs as a heavy rider?

Thoughts on Ragley Big Wig?

Budget up to £1,500

I am 10 mins outside Brighton for any local bike shop recommendations

Experience Level: None, not been on a bike since a teenager.. Given my size I am not looking to do any jumps haha I just want a bike to do 5-40 mile round trips around the South Downs gravel pathways.
Old 09-30-23, 07:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
It looks to be a decent bike the only thing is getting a good set of wheels. Up the budget a little at least soon after the purchase and find a local or maybe non-local wheel builder who knows what they are doing (and note I didn't say mechanic I said wheel builder) and ask them to build you a wheel based on your weight and planned riding. The wheels on it are maybe not bad wheels but for your weight I would recommend handbuilt wheels with good quality components from someone who is a professional wheel builder and really knows what they are doing.

36h parts might be fine but a wheel is a system and getting the right parts for that system is important. Just putting in more spokes or really thick spokes with the wrong hubs and rims won't always make for a stronger wheel it is the whole system and how it is put together and with what. Look at e-bike specific components as they might help you out. DT Swiss Hybrid hubs might be a good ticket as they are built to be stronger and handle more torque however your wheel builder would be the best resource generally if they know what they are doing.

Good luck on the weight loss though it sounds like you are doing the right thing and don't give up you can do it and if you can do it maybe I can lose some of my extra "love" because I know I could stand to lose a bunch of weight.

A few final notes because I can't stop: Run nice wide tires and keep them properly inflated, bring your bike in for regular service and especially have the wheels checked out with frequency. Generally a hand built wheel set is less likely to need it but for a bigger rider it is just a good thing to keep an eye on them and the parts in general. Better to be overly cautious and keep things is really good working order then to let it fall to the wayside and have greater problems that can get more expensive down the road.

For those of us across the pond who don't want to do the research 24.5 stone is 301lbs.
Old 12-14-23, 08:32 AM
The Wookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’d recommend a Carbon bike. If you’re on the heavy side you could do with something strong and light like Carbon.
Old 12-14-23, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by The Wookie
I’d recommend a Carbon bike. If you’re on the heavy side you could do with something strong and light like Carbon.
You missed the thread. Carbon over aluminum yes, but carbon over steel for a heavier rider certainly not unless we are looking at ridiculous bikes that make no sense like an AM or Enduro bike but those are not what the OP would need for their riding but for the strength sure. Carbon can be a great material but for a heavier rider who is looking to get back into it and hasn't ridden for a while it is not the right material from most manufacturers (as they are looking to build light bikes and generally 300+ pounds is above their suggested weight limit) and a full custom carbon bike is not practical. I mean really a gravel bike would be perfect or even a touring bike with wider tire clearance.

Steel is a perfect material in this case for the budget the one suggested seemed like a decent bike with the addition of some handbuilt wheels as I suggested.

Granted yes 3 months later they could have lost significant weight but even still I wouldn't so much recommend carbon quite yet.