Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bash guard question

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bash guard question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 07:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Bash guard question

I am considering an ISCG05 mount type bash guard. Will a bash guard do anything to keep the chain from jamming between the crank arm spider and the BB? I have only had the chain come off once in 4 months of riding every day, so it is a rare occurance, but getting it unjammed from there "in the wild" was a pain. Given the rarity of throwing a chain on this 1x bike I am hesitant to get a bash guard with a chain guide if the bash guard without the guide will keep the chain from jamming (I read complaints of chain rubbing with the 11-51 12 speed and some of the guides).
Old 10-09-23, 09:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
Old 10-20-23, 07:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The ISG mounted bash guard by itself is not going to do anything to keep you from dropping a chain.

But if it is also a chain guide, then yes, that will help a lot.

FWIW, with a narrow/wide chainring and a clutch rear derailleur, I have never dropped a chain in the 5 years I’ve been running 1x.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-20-23 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-21-23, 07:16 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Kapusta
The ISG mounted bash guard by itself is not going to do anything to keep you from dropping a chain.

But if it is also a chain guide, then yes, that will help a lot.

FWIW, with a narrow/wide chainring and a clutch rear derailleur, I have never dropped a chain in the 5 years I’ve been running 1x.
I wasn't expecting it to prevent dropping the chain. I hoped it might prevent the chain jamming into the tight space between the BB and the crank arm spider if it did drop. Some look like they might occupy the space that would block that.

Any way I ordered a Wolf's Tooth guide, but before it came I had the chain come off repeatedly. Close examination showed that the quicklink was the culprit. Looking closely on the workstand the chain jumped a little at the quick link especially in the lower 3 gears. I took it apart cleaned it up and reinstalled it since I didn't have another. It has been running smooth as silk ever since. The drivetrain was a little noisy particularly when shifting since it was new (in july). Now it is quiet.

I may return the Wolfs Tooth guide rather than install it.
Old 10-21-23, 07:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Ah, got it.

Hard to say whether a bash guard would keep the dropped chain out of the bb-crank area or if it would just create other spaces to get jammed into.
Old 10-21-23, 08:46 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Ah, got it.

Hard to say whether a bash guard would keep the dropped chain out of the bb-crank area or if it would just create other spaces to get jammed into.
Yeah, I think that unless I have another instance of dropping the chain I will forgo both bash guard and guide. I figure that the issue was a fluke problem with the quick link. I now have a couple spare quick links in case that even happens again.