Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried out Specialized Airlock Presta Valve Tubes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 10:43 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

Frustrated to hell with messy tubeless setups. Even more frustrating locating mysterious leaks.

Did anyone give these a go, airlock presta self sealing tubes. Supposedly contains sealant.

Update:

Guess I will run with a mixed set for now. Rear wheel inflated right up after sealant swap. Got lazy trying to fix the front, threw a tube in.

Last edited by b88; 03-07-24 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-07-24, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If you don't figure out what is causing those mysterious leaks then you might never figure out a viable solution for you.

Leaks don't necessarily come from road debris and other hazards. If fact the last time I had a rash of flats, I found out the cause was bad habits and lack of attention to certain details in the way I was mounting the tires. So knowing exactly what caused any one particular flat can help greatly.
Old 03-07-24, 11:10 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
First I have heard of them. I wonder about this. If you do get a puncture its probably going to leak a bit before it self seals. Do you then need to top off the air pressure and of course inspect the tire for damage or foreign objects still in the tire. That is unless they seal so fast you cant even notice you have a puncture.

I might consider this tube as a spare tube.
Old 03-07-24, 11:19 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Bell makes a similar tube with sealant in it. I used them on my mountain bike several years ago. Problem I had with those is when you need to replace the air that leaks out before the sealant plugs the hole. I literally couldn't pump air in because the valve seals. They were pretty good at getting you home if you had a puncture, but they cannot be patched either because of the sealant. Maybe these Specialized work better than the Bell's? I found them too gimmicky for me. But to each their own.
Old 03-07-24, 11:22 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Inner tubes with sealant inside can be just as messy
(if not more so) than a tubeless setup. I have been riding tubeless on the road for 13 years and have never had a messy puncture. In fact, I flat so seldom that it has been years since I suffered a puncture out on the road. The last one was when I rode over an industrial staple with only 2 km left to the parking lot. It didn't seal, because I was actually riding without sealant, but the leak was slow enough that I made it back to my car before the tire went flat
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-07-24, 11:42 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Bell makes a similar tube with sealant in it. I used them on my mountain bike several years ago. Problem I had with those is when you need to replace the air that leaks out before the sealant plugs the hole. I literally couldn't pump air in because the valve seals. They were pretty good at getting you home if you had a puncture, but they cannot be patched either because of the sealant. Maybe these Specialized work better than the Bell's? I found them too gimmicky for me. But to each their own.
Hmm I just read a review of the specialized tube. Someone was complaining the same thing about pumping air in.
Old 03-07-24, 12:16 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Not these but have used Slime sealant tubes. How different are they, I wonder?

Mixed bag--heavier than standard tubes, trickier to mount (tend to twist under the tire), hard to patch if they do get a leak that does not self-seal, eventually clog the valve.

Think they work to an extent, but it's hard to really know. Puncture vine/goathead thorns are the top issue here, with glass shards and construction fasteners not far behind. Stealth potholes are their own category. Probably would not use them on a light, speedy road bike but commute and mountain bikes present a stronger case.

HTH a little
Likes For Rick_D: