Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

20 inch wheel , 75 mm hub, 28 spokes, 1 inch rim width

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 02:41 PM
bike_forum_geek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hey Bike Forum peeps, I work at a non-profit bike shop. We received a donated Btwin foldable bike with a bent rim. Decathalon won't replace the wheel and they don't sell replacements.

The 75 mm hub is non-standard. No one seems to be able to order a replacement wheel. I need a 20 inch wheel with 75 mm hub width, 406 bead diameter, exterior rim width 1 inch.

I'm told we can build a wheel, but this is a 28 hole rim, also non-standard.

Any ideas where I can order wheel or rim with the above specs?

This is for a front wheel.

TIA

Last edited by bike_forum_geek; 08-01-22 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-01-22, 03:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 903 Posts
You can't economically save every bike.
Even if cutting off and rewelding the existing dropouts were possible, it raises liability issues you're best off not to take on.
Sometimes you have to know when to punt.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-01-22, 03:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
^This^. I have no problem telling people it's either too difficult or not worth it to fix their 'project'.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-01-22, 03:28 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 518 Posts
Have you looked for a replacement rim? Maybe through a BMX supplier? I believe the Sun CR18 used to come in this configuration, haven’t checked in awhile though.
Old 08-01-22, 03:42 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 476 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_forum_geek
Hey Bike Forum peeps, I work at a non-profit bike shop. We received a donated Btwin foldable bike with a bent rim. Decathalon won't replace the wheel and they don't sell replacements.

The 75 mm hub is non-standard. No one seems to be able to order a replacement wheel. I need a 20 inch wheel with 75 mm hub width, 406 bead diameter, exterior rim width 1 inch.

TIA
If the wheel with the bent rim is disc brake and the hub and spokes are salvageable, this rim might work. It's available in 20" 28H, but is disc brake only. Rim is about 1" external width. It's from China and may take a while to arrive. Not particularly cheap, but the few others I found are about the same price and are also from China; this one's representative.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195249931414

Also found this 20" 28H wheel with a 70mm hub. It's for a stroller/jogger, no idea if it's strong enough for bike use or not. Dunno the rim external width, and also dunno if the rim would be suitable for clinchers or rim brakes. I'd be leery of using it on a bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143673459221

I have not done business with nor do I have any commercial interest in either vendor.

This vendor does seem to have the Sun Ringle CR-18 referenced above available. I have done business with this vendor; they seem reliable. I have no commercial interest in the vendor.

https://www.ebay.com/p/5012039443?iid=374136270038

BSD isn't given in any of those listings. You'd need to contact them to see if they're 406, but many BMX rims are. No clue about the stroller/jogger wheel.

Last edited by Hondo6; 08-01-22 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-01-22, 04:13 PM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks all. Unclear whether it's worth time/effort to save this bike. The Sun Ringle seems the choice if we're to build a wheel. But, a wheel build is likely to be outsourced. I'll check with our team. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-22, 04:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 973 Posts
Off the cuff, it sounds like the front wheel from a Dahon or a Brompton. Dahon has a 9mm axle, Brampton has an 8mm axle.

When I re-did my Dahon, I picked up a Shutter Precision Brompton dynamo. Then I obtained a length of 3/8inch stainless steel brake line from an auto parts store. I cut 2 short sections off the line to be collars & pressed them onto the exposed Brompton-sized axle nubs with the tiniest bit of JB Weld. The effect is a the proper 9/9.5mm-ish axle diameter a Dahon fork drop out expects. (Going from memory, here.)

I wouldn't do the above hack if cup/cone bearings were to be used. Shutter Precision dynamos use non-serviceable cartridge bearings & are regarded to be just about disposable, so it's no big loss should a replacement be necessary in the far future.

Alternatively, going the other way, I would expect you could file the Bromptons dropouts to accept a Dahon wheel. You might amend your search along these lines.

Velocity makes 406 Dyad rims in just about any drilling you could want.

Also, I may have a full Dahon wheelset or suitable front at my Co-Op. bike_forum_geek PM if you hit a dead end.

Last edited by base2; 08-01-22 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-01-22, 11:04 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 338 Posts
I've seen a few 74/130 406 wheelsets on AliExpress.
Old 08-01-22, 11:17 PM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you, I only need a front wheel with rim brakes.

Last edited by bike_forum_geek; 08-02-22 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 12:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 199 Posts

TIA
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You can't economically save every bike.
Even if cutting off and rewelding the existing dropouts were possible, it raises liability issues you're best off not to take on.
Sometimes you have to know when to punt.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
^This^. I have no problem telling people it's either too difficult or not worth it to fix their 'project'.
Agreed, you can't save every bike, sometimes they are more work then they are worth. We rebuild about 2,000 a year in our non-profit shop and strip/recycle about another 100-150 that are either too far gone or not worth it.

BTW @bike_forum_geek, where is the non-profit shop at?

Last edited by JoeTBM; 08-03-22 at 12:51 AM. Reason: I messed up..... duh
Old 08-02-22, 08:52 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Agreed, you can save every bike, sometime they are more work then they are worth. We rebuild about 2,000 a year in our non-profit shop and strip/recycle about another 100-150 that are either too far gone or not worth it.

BTW @bike_forum_geek, where is the non-profit shop at?
Hey Joe! I volunteer at BikeConcord https://www.facebook.com/bikeconcord/ , if you're in the SF Bay Area on a Thursday stop by and help us wrench I like the Bike Men Flagler website, it gave me ideas. Yea, we stripped one of the cracked frame donated fold-ables, I'm trying to save the other. If I can't find a replacement wheel I may learn to build a wheel. Checking youtube.....
Old 08-03-22, 12:49 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 199 Posts
Hey Joe! I volunteer at BikeConcord https://www.facebook.com/bikeconcord/ , if you're in the SF Bay Area on a Thursday stop by and help us wrench I like the Bike Men Flagler website, it gave me ideas. Yea, we stripped one of the cracked frame donated fold-ables, I'm trying to save the other. If I can't find a replacement wheel I may learn to build a wheel. Checking youtube.....
Let me see if I can check on a wheel for you, I might have a foldable in the shop that we were going to scrap anyway (foldables are not big here and I already have more then I care to). Glad you liked the website, we are also on Facebook as well https://www.facebook.com/TheBikeMenOfFlaglerCounty/

BikeConcord appears to more of a bike co-op type operation, something I want to do when we get more space. We are more of a charity bike shop supporting many local groups & organizations, Haven't been to SF Bay in many years, not in the immediate plans, I really don't like plane travel anymore. PM me your telephone number and I will give you a call with the result of our wheel search.

Old 08-03-22, 03:12 PM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks all. We're going to build a wheel. Thanks for the Sun CR18 tip, much appreciated.
Old 08-03-22, 04:51 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 973 Posts
Thanks all. We're going to build a wheel. Thanks for the Sun CR18 tip, much appreciated.
Ok. I'll consider the matter closed. If you need anything else, you know where to find me.
Base2

Car dependency is a tax.