Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are any of you like me?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Are any of you like me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 09:00 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are any of you like me?

When it comes to things of interest, like riding a bike, for example, I get all stocked up for awhile, then switch interests over to another pursuit or hobby, well, like photography for instance. It's this back and forth thing, if you know what I mean. When I signed up here a couple of years ago, I was all gung-ho for riding a folding bike, so I went through the stages of purchasing one, which turned out to be a dog, then I went full out, budget wise, and purchased a Brompton. I rode it religiously for quite some time, then it got stored in a closet, while I pursued another interest, photography. Well, guess what, the cameras are in the closet, and the Brompton is back in the highlight. Good timing actually, because the really hot weather of summer will soon be gone, and nice cooler days for riding will take it's place.

Is anybody else like this? It's frustrating really, this back and forth between interests. No sooner you get all hyped up with something, then you end up switching gears getting all hyped up about something else.

Yes, I'm still pedaling, but with pausing along the way.
Old 08-29-16, 09:23 AM
Kllai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds just like me.
I like photography too, and went crazy last year and upgraded my gears way over what i expected to spent. I brought my camera out everyday and shot whatever interesting thing i saw... then it cool down. Now, it just back to normal use. I don't regret that decision. The camera still take great pics of my family etc.
This year i also spend lot of time to research folding bike and all bike related info. So far, enjoy my ride few times a week with my new bikes.

Actually, combine photography and biking is a lot more fun.
Old 08-29-16, 10:26 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
"Are any of you like me?"

I like folding bikes and photography; so yes.

I also have a Brompton and a Dahon
Dahon at Work by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 08-29-16, 10:44 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
It's not really like me, but I appreciate it, especially when people are very thorough about what has their interest at that point in time. A friend of mine is really extreme in that, he used to be a scientist. When he was about thirty he decided to get his driver's licence, a few months after he got it I was in the car with him, and he knew everything about all the cars around us. After that he was into photography (analog), only for a year or something, but in that time he bought about 5 high end camera's and shot thousands of portraits of about anyone he could find. The next year he wanted an espresso machine, knew everything about it and got a great used one for 2000 euro's, it turned out he didn't really like coffee that much, so that was just a fling. He got into horseriding and became a kind of a horse whisperer, then wine became his hobby, but he kept that when he got into whisky also.

I'm much less intense about the things I like, but for me and other friends it's nice. He's always full of observations and stories and we can feed off his knowledge.
Old 08-29-16, 10:55 AM
Dheorl

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sort of like that. I keep pretty much all my hobbies going, but my spare time spent "researching" focuses very much on one at a time. I'm very good at retaining information though, so I can quickly pic a topic back up.

When you have such an expensive selection of hobbies as me (cycling, photography, computer gaming, skiing, mountaineering and hopefully soon to be paramotoring) it's not exactly feasible to always be looking for the latest and greatest in all of them.
Old 08-29-16, 10:58 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love those bike lights. Never seen anything like that before. You sure would stand out riding on the roads at night. Where would one find them?
Old 08-29-16, 01:40 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling
I love those bike lights. Never seen anything like that before. You sure would stand out riding on the roads at night. Where would one find them?
I'm guessing this question was directed to me. If it was - most of my lights can be bought online(REI, amazon, etc.) or from any bike shop.
Some of them will be priced the same(online vs. bike shop); please consider supporting your local store.

Top to bottom:
Helmet mounted; Blackburn 2'fer(front) and Niterider Lumina Flare(rear).
Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80
Cygolite Hotshot Micro
Blitzu Cyborg 168T
Niterider Solas 150

Since this was a group/mass ride; all lights were set at their lowest steady setting:
20160827_195402 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 08-29-16, 05:08 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Yeap...photography, audio.

...got a drawer full of L glass.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-29-16 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 08:28 AM
dadbar

Bikes: Firefly Ti, Trek Domane AL5, Montague MX, Dahon Formula S18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup- another guy with ants in the pants hobby wise. I got back into biking in 2013 but I've pretty much stuck with it. I try to ride back and forth to work at least one day a week now (13 miles each way). More or less to lose weight and get in some exercise while the weather is nice.
Old 08-30-16, 08:47 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra

...got a drawer full of L glass.
You take awesome photos. Are you from Indonesia? I visited there about 25 years ago. I spent my time in Jakarta. Didn't get a chance to visit Bali as I got very sick from the water.
Old 08-30-16, 08:52 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup . . . my gf thinks I'm insane. I tend to jump rapidly and wholly from one hobby to another. I don't think I've ever just "dipped my toes" into a hobby. I go full throttle right off the bat, until I fully understand something, and then I put it away. while it has been good for me in that I know a little about almost everything, I tend to get bored and quit right when I get good at something, so I'm not a master of anything. it's probably just the adult manifestation of my insatiable curiosity and ADD lol.
Old 08-30-16, 08:55 AM
Still Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
yup . . . my gf thinks I'm insane. I tend to jump rapidly and wholly from one hobby to another. I don't think I've ever just "dipped my toes" into a hobby. I go full throttle right off the bat, until I fully understand something, and then I put it away. while it has been good for me in that I know a little about almost everything, I tend to get bored and quit right when I get good at something, so I'm not a master of anything. it's probably just the adult manifestation of my insatiable curiosity and ADD lol.
Me to a T
Old 08-30-16, 02:25 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Hi, thanks. No, i am not from Indonesia, but i do live there now...Water is much better now in Jakarta. Cheers...

You take awesome photos. Are you from Indonesia? I visited there about 25 years ago. I spent my time in Jakarta. Didn't get a chance to visit Bali as I got very sick from the water.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-30-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 03:12 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Me to love touring ,photography and land rover defender!!! All of cost me a lot
Old 08-31-16, 03:32 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Folding bikes are a technical niche so I'm seeing many of us have other hobbies.
I've always liked bicycles but only got into folders in 2009; first Dahon Curve, then Silvertip, then Mantis, then Dove, then Strida, and now Brompton.
This year I got an Argus Expert fatbike (sorry but it's the funnest bicycle ever) and am enjoying dirt since the early 1990s.
I'm on a folding bike break now, but the Brompton is a keeper though since it stores small and travels easily.
Every now and again I will build a diorama/scale model kit, or go snorkeling.

Other hobbies that have died off but I recommend for those interested in something new: autocross, snowboarding/skiing, 1/87 HO scale cars, Gundam model kits, paintball (2nd funnest hobby ever), pocketbike racing (funnest hobby ever), and radio control: 1/16 tanks, 1/10 drift, 1/10 crawlers, micro quadcopters (very cheap fun).
I played video games for 20 years but lost interest at the PS3: getting killed in Battlefield 3 online every 5 seconds took the fun out of it.
I only play games on my phone now because they are free.
As I got older: I realize it's best to not go in too deep because my hobbies only last 1-2 years before moving on.
Only bicycles will be a lifelong interest since you can ride into the golden years.

Last edited by ttakata73; 08-31-16 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, I'm Different .. been playing music in spite of no bands to join .. for 40 years..
Old 09-03-16, 06:53 PM
jobtraklite

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycling, folders or otherwise, is an interest or hobby of mine; but it's much more, a means of transportation. If I were to have to give up bicycling, it would be like the proverbial senior citizen having its car keys taken away.
Old 09-08-16, 12:57 PM
pampera

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lucky of you who switch to one hobby to another. I just keep adding them! Just cannot say no to something a bit sporty, a bit techie and much social interaction. Biking, touring rowing, sailing, and counting.
Old 09-08-16, 06:04 PM
michalkun

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I am like that too.
It's all due to weather because summer is too hot and humid where I am for any cycling. I either go to the mountains and chill in the river or do surfing in the ocean. With Brompton I feel comfortable because I store it in the closet and when it's time to ride again, it's the same as it was half a year ago. When I'm not cycling, I also do sailing, when the wind is calm, maybe SUP paddling or kayaking.
When everything gets boring, I go for a car ride or visit museums, or clean my tropical fish aquarium.
Then yoga, months after that strength exercises, later running, switching to hiking in the mountains.
Eventually I get back on the bicycle again but before that I might even jump on my unicycle and terrorize the locals with a stealthy silent ride on one wheel. It's a never ending cycle.
Nothing to be stressed about, any activity is healthy.

When it comes to things of interest, like riding a bike, for example, I get all stocked up for awhile, then switch interests over to another pursuit or hobby, well, like photography for instance. It's this back and forth thing, if you know what I mean. When I signed up here a couple of years ago, I was all gung-ho for riding a folding bike, so I went through the stages of purchasing one, which turned out to be a dog, then I went full out, budget wise, and purchased a Brompton. I rode it religiously for quite some time, then it got stored in a closet, while I pursued another interest, photography. Well, guess what, the cameras are in the closet, and the Brompton is back in the highlight. Good timing actually, because the really hot weather of summer will soon be gone, and nice cooler days for riding will take it's place.

Is anybody else like this? It's frustrating really, this back and forth between interests. No sooner you get all hyped up with something, then you end up switching gears getting all hyped up about something else.

Yes, I'm still pedaling, but with pausing along the way.