Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Improve rolling resistance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Improve rolling resistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 02:47 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
[QUOTE=79pmooney;22995307]
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Continental GP5000 700x32 or 30mm with light tubes can be had for about $115. These will be your fastest and worth the money. Paselas are dogs for rolling resistance.[/QUOTE]

Compared to much more expensive tires and systems, yes, But in the big picture that includes the OP's tires and much slower, Paselas are not bad at all, especially for a low priced and very versatile tire.

Fun slow tires, the green Vittoria CX clinchers I had a few years ago. Cyclocross tread and long green hairs. That green rubber was sticky and super in the wet. Even gripped pretty well on ice. In the dry, rolling resistance was so high I kept expecting chunks of asphalt to get pulled up and lodged in my fenders. I was always looking for wet, sand, gravel; anything that rolled faster than dry pavement. 28c Paselas went on that same bike. What a difference!
I've owned them in two different diameters and was astounded how slow they were. No, they are awful.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-28-23, 04:09 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I never knew anything of Schwalbe tires in experience until a few years ago. First 50mm Big Bens for me all-arounder and then 35mm Marathon Racers for my road bike. Sure, if I look at the bike tire RR website the Racers rate as "middle of the road". Yeah so what, as such "ratings" are as subjective as the very words I write. What matters to me is the total riding experience, not just rolling resistance. I consider them "fast enough" compared to any other tires I've had, including Vittoria Hypers which I wore through many pairs of in the past and were lauded as having such "low" RR. I can't say I noticed them be so much better as far as that was concerned, but I did notice how short lived they were. The tread, or lack there of, wore through very quickly. I couldn't even make it through one season on those. The Marathon Racers have more tread and the compound wears well, so it's a trade-off for performance and durability. I consider these a perfect balance of performance, durability and puncture resistance.

All this said, the giant white elephant in the room as far as resistance is concerned is the rider themselves. You can spend thousands of dollars on equipment, but if the rider has the profile or position of sail, it doesn't help as much as it will if the rider minimizes their own bodily aerodynamic drag.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 08-28-23, 07:45 PM
PirateJack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
UPDATE: I should have mentioned before that what's I have on there now are a mis-matched schwable / bontrager 700 x 35.

I have ordered a pair of Continental GP5000 700x32s. The original tires on the bike were Continental Top Touring Tires that were almost super-human. I rode them until they were threadbare. True this is just one 50 mile ride for me, but I'm enjoying it, so I think it might not be my last, so I figured I'd pay a little more for what seems like a good value.

I truly appreciate all of the great advice, support, and feedback.
Likes For PirateJack:
Old 08-29-23, 02:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateJack
UPDATE: I should have mentioned before that what's I have on there now are a mis-matched schwable / bontrager 700 x 35.

I have ordered a pair of Continental GP5000 700x32s. The original tires on the bike were Continental Top Touring Tires that were almost super-human. I rode them until they were threadbare. True this is just one 50 mile ride for me, but I'm enjoying it, so I think it might not be my last, so I figured I'd pay a little more for what seems like a good value.

I truly appreciate all of the great advice, support, and feedback.
They will be a huge improvement over what you are currently running. Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-02-23, 08:59 PM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Installed the GP5000s and took a first ride today,....they're nice!...thanks!
Likes For PirateJack:
Old 09-26-23, 07:54 PM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Update if anyone is following

So, I did the Bicycles Battling Cancer Ride last weekend, 54 miles. It took me forever, 5 hours and I stopped a bunch of times, but, the important thing is that I finished.
Kind of loving the bike again, loving the Continentals. Feels great letting the miles slide by.

Now I noticed I've got some play in my hubs,...:-)
Likes For PirateJack:
Old 09-28-23, 09:59 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
I've got an old (90s era) Cannondale T700 touring bike that I love and have recently got back into riding. I'm planning to complete a 50 mile ride for the American Cancer Society in the middle of September. The T700 has some pretty good but heavy/knobby tires that make sense for a touring bike, but I think the rolling resistance is probably not as smooth as it can be.

I've never ridden 50 miles before, (I did 32 last weekend , it took me 4 1/2 hours with a couple of breaks) . As an amputee I'm looking to move the needle as much as possible on rolling resistance to ensure that I can stretch the distance out.

Are there any cheap slick tires or any other tunings that anyone could suggest that would move the needle for less than say $100 ?

You can dramatically cut our rolling resistance for free. Just put about seventy or eighty pounds in those MTB tires and they will roll like road tires. The next thing you can do is take your rear derailleur off and take it apart and make sure the little wheels your chain rides on are free of grease and oil etc.. These are self-lubricating parts that often get gummed up with dirt and old chain oil etc. and can create a lot of drag. Make sure none of your brake pads are dragging and check your bottom-bracket bearings. Do these things, starting with the high tire pressure first, and test them around your block and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-28-23, 07:46 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
You can dramatically cut our rolling resistance for free. Just put about seventy or eighty pounds in those MTB tires and they will roll like road tires.
Hmmm. I'm not so sure as you about that.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-28-23, 09:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
... Just put about seventy or eighty pounds in those MTB tires and they will roll like road tires. ...
Or they might burst?
Old 09-28-23, 11:02 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Sounds like you have a lot of questions.

Your Local Bike Shop can both tell you about and sell to you the tires you need.
I disagree, most shops will sell you tires they stock. Or have on hand. My experience..... this is because I know tires and 99%of the time the best tire (they say) is the one they are trying to sell me.

Anyways this is one more vote for Pasela. while the gp4000 and now gp5000 are my favorite road tires. the Pasela rolls really well!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-29-23, 03:31 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Installed the GP5000s and took a first ride today,....they're nice!...thanks!
What tubes did you install along with these ? The reason I ask is that if you just used butyl tubes you would notice another improvement with switching to latex to TPU tubes. They can be expensive at a LBS but tpu "ridenow" brand tpu can be had for cheap on ali express if you don't mind waiting but remember - ONLY BUY FROM THE POPULAR VENDORS Ali express is a aggregate for stores with some VERY BAD and some VERY GOOD

Another thing I would pass along is tire pressure. I had tried these tires - gp5000s many years ago in the days of riding with high pressure in the tires and constantly had flats. I ended up going away from that brand for many years. This year I bought some again but instead I ran them at MUCH lower pressure following the Silca pressure chart (which I THOUGHT gave stupid numbers) and have not had a flat in 2000 km. I cannot say if it was a change in tire construction that resulted in less flats, I only know the result.

FWIW my old pressure was around 110 PSI and now it is 80-85 PSI. The first round with GP5000s I weighed 210 lbs and now (after 3 ish years of little activity) 235 lbs.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 09-29-23, 03:55 PM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I used rubber tubes off the wallmart shelf. Guess I have some more low hanging fruit to get with tubes. Thanks for the tip!

I had the pressure at about 80.
Old 09-29-23, 11:26 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I used rubber tubes off the wallmart shelf. Guess I have some more low hanging fruit to get with tubes. Thanks for the tip!

I had the pressure at about 80.
I'm 170 lbs and i ran around 70 psi in my 28c gp5000 (measured 30). But psi will depend on your pavement. I was riding on a lot of chip seal type pavement. Lower psi helped.

Get those hubs serviced, and you'll see even better results with the gp5000 tires.

Glad you got the ride done and enjoyed it.
Likes For Metieval: