Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What kind of mileage are you getting out of your rear tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What kind of mileage are you getting out of your rear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 11:45 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don't rotate. My front tire lasts until it's cracked and nasty looking, or it gets a fatal cut.

I am not moving that nasty thing to the rear.
Yep. I worked in bike stores too long to want to do unnecessary work like rotating my tires. Replace rear, then replace both, then replace rear, then replace both . . . .
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-28-23, 02:23 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Yep. I worked in bike stores too long to want to do unnecessary work like rotating my tires. Replace rear, then replace both, then replace rear, then replace both . . . .
Another option could be to rotate the front tire to the rear, but only after the rear tire is EOL. That way, your front/steering tire generally won't ever be more than ~1/3 of the way worn down.
Old 09-28-23, 04:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Exactly. That is why I always buy tires in sets of three. But I wonder whether the two rear tires per front tire ratio would also hold for my gravel bike.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-28-23, 05:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Those are good ideas Trakhak and SoSmellyAir. I have mostly been in the tire rotation camp, but tbh I don't have a great reason for it. I like the idea of buying three at a time and then just riding through two rears per front. I like the "less is more" ethos there.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-28-23, 07:59 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Another option could be to rotate the front tire to the rear, but only after the rear tire is EOL. That way, your front/steering tire generally won't ever be more than ~1/3 of the way worn down.
Or do the rear/both/rear/both routine I described. Same outcome, no unnecessary work.
Old 09-28-23, 09:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by 88ss
Rotate your tires every thousand kilometers.
The tires on my bike are inherently rotated when I ride that bike.
Old 09-28-23, 10:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

May I suggest a new replacement criterion: replace the rear tire when it measures > 1 mm (or another preset distance) wider than the front tire. Yes, this would require a caliper.

I recently measured both tires to better understand why they barely fit within another frame (since returned). The rear tire, which was noticeably squared off, measured > 1 mm wider than the front tire. Earlier this week I was about to go for an extra mid-week ride when I found that the rear tire has mysteriously gone flat, even though I inflate the tires before every ride and they were fine after the prior ride only a couple of days earlier.
Old 09-28-23, 10:18 PM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I ride on decent pavement and use Conti GP 5000. I ride them about 1800 mile ( 169 pounds me) miles then rotate the rear to front as long as the rear has no issues. Then I just ride them till they wear out. I easily get 4-5200 miles not km on them. I think because I don't live in the mountains a generally try to ride smoother roads. Sheldon said not to rotate tires but frankly I do because then I wear a set out even or close. Then if the front still has a bit of life, I keep it for a spare and eventually use it on the trainer. Believe me you can get flat on the trainer too by going too long..
I prefer to wear out the rear, move the used front tire to the rear and put a brand new tire in the front. This way, I always have my best, newest tire in the most safety critical position, in the front, for braking and steering. This also means I get approximately same miles on each tire as front as I do on it as rear tire. I think I get about 2000 miles out of my tires, Vittoria Rubinos, though I don't keep a good accounting of that.
Old 09-29-23, 04:04 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I bought 28mm tires for my bike but had to change out the front as it rubbed the fork with road debris sometimes. I have about 2000km.on a conti gp5000s on the rear right now with no serious sign of wear. I weigh around 235lbs and I run the tire at ~85psi tubeless. On that bike I ride with a mix of 80% road and 20% smoothish gravel riding.
Old 10-08-23, 06:37 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Got 6000+km on my current set of 28c GP5000s. Run them at about 70psi tubed (my weight is about 88kg). Still lots of tread left according to the wear markers, and no increase in puncture frequency. So they'll stay on the bike until any of that changes.
Old 10-08-23, 08:58 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
My cycles do not have rear tires, they are the same front to back and I rotate them so they wear evenly and I get more miles out of them. As long as I am not riding on ice and am just doing casual fun riding and touring at moderate speeds, I don't worry about front tire wear. I have put so many years and miles on a set of new tires I replaced them not because they were smooth in the middle but because they were dry-rotted and I thought the sidewalls might blow out if I hit a pothole etc..
Old 10-08-23, 09:36 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I'm burning through tires compared to most on here...I don't really track that closely, but I'm guessing 1-1.5k out of 28mm GP5k on the rear.