Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling class in high school

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycling class in high school

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23, 07:53 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Have you been in a highschool recently? They are just making TikTok’s and stuff instead of learning, and much of what they are taught is bogus to begin with. A bicycle mechanics class would be a great use of time compared to most of the BS.

I live in an affluent area and the high schools around here have bicycle racing sports teams where the kids are all on fancy bikes. I doubt they maintain them themselves.

more to the point, the powers that be don’t want us to fix things, forced obsolescence etc etc, so they would never allow a bicycle mechanics class in schools. It’s antithetical to their goals.
Old 10-31-23, 08:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Have you been in a highschool recently? They are just making TikTok’s and stuff instead of learning, and much of what they are taught is bogus to begin with.
Please cite evidence of this.

more to the point, the powers that be don’t want us to fix things, forced obsolescence etc etc, so they would never allow a bicycle mechanics class in schools. It’s antithetical to their goals.
Yes, everyone knows that Trek and Specialized control school curricula.
Old 10-31-23, 08:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I haven't read every post, but many folks implicitly treat time as limitless...But adding something to the curriculum would require cutting something else. So, for you folks arguing that bicycle repair should be added, please tell us what should be cut back. Math and science? Writing? Government?
Its high school- core subjects dont need to be dropped for bike maintenance to exist.
You can do it 2 ways.

1- As discussed, this could be a section within a class. It deals with applied physics and math, so it could be worked into a core subject(science or math). Both subjects frequently have sections that last 2 to 3 weeks and involve outside tools/props/equipment for applied learning.
2- Much of what HS students take each day isnt part of the core class schedule. This could easily be made an elective- whether as a full class or a section within an elective called 'Applied Mechanics' or something like that.

My school district requires students to have 23 credits in order to graduate. 3 in Social studies(US Hist, US Gov, Econ or Micro, Financial Literacy, Social Studies), 4 in English, 3 in Math with only Algebra 1 as the highest level needed, 3 in Science, 1.5 in Fine Arts, 1 in PE, and 7.5 in Electives.
So a full 1/3 of required credits to graduate are just Electives- which is exactly where a class like this could go. Further, many kids are able to take more electives due to accelerated classes where they knock out Bio and Chem in the same year, for example.
Heck, there are 2 Marine Biology classes, 9 Aviation classes, and 5 Agriscience classes(greenhouse production, vet sciences, livestock management, etc) that take place outside traditional classroooms. They have time for an elective Applied Mechanics class- it could just be yet another elective or a section within an already existing subject/class.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-31-23, 08:49 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its high school- core subjects dont need to be dropped for bike maintenance to exist.
You can do it 2 ways.

1- As discussed, this could be a section within a class. It deals with applied physics and math, so it could be worked into a core subject(science or math). Both subjects frequently have sections that last 2 to 3 weeks and involve outside tools/props/equipment for applied learning.
2- Much of what HS students take each day isnt part of the core class schedule. This could easily be made an elective- whether as a full class or a section within an elective called 'Applied Mechanics' or something like that.

My school district requires students to have 23 credits in order to graduate. 3 in Social studies(US Hist, US Gov, Econ or Micro, Financial Literacy, Social Studies), 4 in English, 3 in Math with only Algebra 1 as the highest level needed, 3 in Science, 1.5 in Fine Arts, 1 in PE, and 7.5 in Electives.
So a full 1/3 of required credits to graduate are just Electives- which is exactly where a class like this could go. Further, many kids are able to take more electives due to accelerated classes where they knock out Bio and Chem in the same year, for example.
Heck, there are 2 Marine Biology classes, 9 Aviation classes, and 5 Agriscience classes(greenhouse production, vet sciences, livestock management, etc) that take place outside traditional classroooms. They have time for an elective Applied Mechanics class- it could just be yet another elective or a section within an already existing subject/class.
Thanks for the informed and on-point response. That's rare on bf, and especially in this thread.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-31-23, 09:33 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4956 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I don't know how valuable teaching bicycle mechanics would be because the technology is changing so rapidly.
Nonsense.
Old 10-31-23, 10:15 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...so here's a story. It's a true story, but take it FWIW... We spent several thousand dollars buying the tools for a very basic, but solid, repair shop.

It worked for about four months, then the administration of the school shut it down over liability and insurance concerns. They just locked it up, and we never did get the tools back, to use at the bike co-op. It was sad, but I understand the concerns. I hope, at least, that some of the students were able to sneak in there and fix their own bikes after that. I don't really know, I kind of lost interest after that.

...I hadn't even considered the conspiracy theory angle on this. Once you pointed it out, it's so obvious now. Thank you.
At least now I don't feel so badly about the whole episode. It was doomed from the beginning, by the powers that be.

I wonder how long it will be before they come for the co-op ? First they came for the Home Depot, and I said nothing...
Old 10-31-23, 10:51 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Have you been in a highschool recently? They are just making TikTok’s and stuff instead of learning, and much of what they are taught is bogus to begin with. A bicycle mechanics class would be a great use of time compared to most of the BS.

I live in an affluent area and the high schools around here have bicycle racing sports teams where the kids are all on fancy bikes. I doubt they maintain them themselves.

Assumptions without actual knowledge...are you related to Wolfy?

As has been posted before - by myself and others - those kids on HS bike teams are learning about bike maintenance, and are actually doing it.

As for the "powers that be", it's nonsense. Bikes shops make better profit on parts and accessories than they do on complete bikes. Kids who know how to turn a wrench become customers who are buying tools, lubes, chains, cables, etc., and become the regular customers that keep a bike shop in business. When it's time to buy a new bike, those regular customers come to their favored shop first.

Last edited by Eric F; 10-31-23 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 10-31-23, 01:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I am a person who has worked on and off in the bicycle industry at the retail and distributorship level since I was a young adult. I was, at various times able to support myself, my family, and later on to supplement my retirement income. It has been said that the best way to make a fortune in the cycling industry is to start with a bigger one
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-31-23, 07:41 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Eric F
Assumptions without actual knowledge...are you related to Wolfy?

As has been posted before - by myself and others - those kids on HS bike teams are learning about bike maintenance, and are actually doing it.

As for the "powers that be", it's nonsense. Bikes shops make better profit on parts and accessories than they do on complete bikes. Kids who know how to turn a wrench become customers who are buying tools, lubes, chains, cables, etc., and become the regular customers that keep a bike shop in business. When it's time to buy a new bike, those regular customers come to their favored shop first.
I was replying to koyote, but honestly you know that they don’t want kids learning how to turn wrenches. Im employed as a wrench at a very prestigious institution, and I hardly know how to turn wrenches, nobody my age does. It’s part of the plan.
Old 10-31-23, 08:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
... you know that they don’t want kids learning how to turn wrenches. I'm employed as a wrench at a very prestigious institution, and I hardly know how to turn wrenches, nobody my age does. It’s part of the plan.
There is so much in this statement to unpack ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-31-23, 10:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I was replying to koyote, but honestly you know that they don’t want kids learning how to turn wrenches. Im employed as a wrench at a very prestigious institution, and I hardly know how to turn wrenches, nobody my age does. It’s part of the plan.
How do you explain away all the classes kids can take that teach them to fix vehicles, install and fix plumbing, run and maintain electrical systems, etc?
These are actual classes kids can and do take in high school.

Yet you claim that 'they' don't want people to learn how to turn wrenches.
Old 11-01-23, 01:51 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I haven't read every post, but many folks implicitly treat time as limitless...But adding something to the curriculum would require cutting something else. So, for you folks arguing that bicycle repair should be added, please tell us what should be cut back. Math and science? Writing? Government?

When I was in Jr High there was such a thing but it was during PE. They taught basic handling skills, some maintenance and they even had an police officer explaining bike safety and rules of the road. I still have the book somewhere from 40 years ago. FWIW this was in Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada.
Old 11-01-23, 02:19 AM
LarrySellerz

How do you explain away all the classes kids can take that teach them to fix vehicles, install and fix plumbing, run and maintain electrical systems, etc?

all of those classes are relics of a bygone era. They either aren’t offered or are a shadow of their former selves
Old 11-01-23, 05:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
all of those classes are relics of a bygone era. They either aren’t offered or are a shadow of their former selves
@LarrySellerz ... sorry, but since you admit to being pretty ignorant and incompetent ... I cannot take you as an authority.

You don't know anything about the various curricula offered in the various types of schools even just here in North America (where you could understand the language, which would make research easy---but hey, you aren't a scientist. You don't do research.)

I know there are vocational/technical high schools that Specialize in teaching kids to wrench, on all sorts of devices. Plus, I see ads for all kinds of tech specialty schools. And I don't actually go looking ... this is stuff which I happen upon randomly. If I actually spent ten minutes with Google ....

Basically ... you are just making up stuff.

Stick to trying to ride your bike like a cartoon character. You have a better future there.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-01-23, 07:03 AM
Koyote

Larry, perhaps you should've paid a bit more attention in school. Your own state, CA, still has many content standards for things like automotive and HVAC repair, electrical work, construction, etc.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-01-23, 08:49 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Who is "they" in this instance, it's so hard to keep up....
Old 11-01-23, 09:39 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I hardly know how to turn wrenches.
I've always found "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" to be instructive in most situations.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-01-23, 02:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Relics of a bygone era? Do you even understand the words you typed? They arent relics of a bygone era, they are classes that address current issues in real life right now. Neither relic nor bygone era apply.
As for being a shadow of their former selves, what does that mean? Like, how can you possibly know the curriculum for all those classes/subjects I mentioned, and also know how they used to be 'back in the day'?

Clown gonna clown.
Old 11-01-23, 02:37 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
@LarrySellerz ... sorry, but since you admit to being pretty ignorant and incompetent ... I cannot take you as an authority.

You don't know anything about the various curricula offered in the various types of schools even just here in North America (where you could understand the language, which would make research easy---but hey, you aren't a scientist. You don't do research.)

I know there are vocational/technical high schools that Specialize in teaching kids to wrench, on all sorts of devices. Plus, I see ads for all kinds of tech specialty schools. And I don't actually go looking ... this is stuff which I happen upon randomly. If I actually spent ten minutes with Google ....

Basically ... you are just making up stuff.

Stick to trying to ride your bike like a cartoon character. You have a better future there.
I have to assume that you’re being willfully ignorant, look up planned obscelecence and the right to repair movement. Looks like South Park made an episode about this last week https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RcoGzT9QrTI&pp=ygUTU291dGggcGFyayBoYW5keW1hbg%3D%3D what good timing
Old 11-01-23, 03:03 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by wheelreason
Who is "they" in this instance, it's so hard to keep up....
asking someone who “they” are is counterproductive. There is a reason the term is nebulous. They = The Powers That Be. Trying to define it more than that often leads to infighting and missing the forrest for the trees.
Old 11-01-23, 03:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

...honestly you know that they don’t want kids learning how to turn wrenches.
Who are "they"?

LBSs in my area host maintenance clinics for the local HS MTB teams. They are, literally, teaching kids how to turn wrenches. It's good for business.

I'm not guessing about this.
Old 11-01-23, 03:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

asking someone who “they” are is counterproductive. There is a reason the term is nebulous. They = The Powers That Be. Trying to define it more than that often leads to infighting and missing the forrest for the trees.
Thank you for confirming that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 11-01-23, 03:20 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Have been skimming this thread for a few days.
I'm a cabinetmaker by trade. At the age of 42, It came to me that it was hard work and low pay and unhealthy. I took a job teaching home building at one of the tech centers in Vermont, won't go into the details. That also was stressful as building homes with 20 kids alone was hard work. Eventually transferred to another school and became a Tech Ed teacher, but it was really Woodshop. This school gave a required fine arts credit for my class, so if a kid didn't do band,chorus, art or dance then they came to me. I had great freedom to teach what I wanted and the program became a furniture making class with some design added so I could say with a straight face that they earned fine arts credits. I had kids that could barely read a tape measure alongside ones bound for ivy league or engineering schools, fun 15 years and my program was maxed out enrollment wise. Anyway, can't tell you how many parents came to me so impressed by what their kid had brought home asking if they had a future in the trade. I'd have to explain to them how I came to teaching. Program lasted for one more year after I retired and now does robotics I think.
A few of my thoughts,

Kids need to learn how things fit together and develop confidence that they can figure things out when pressed. This also impresses on them the value of community members that build bikes, homes, farms etc.

Kids need a break from the normal school day which is so institutionalized, lord its close to an asylum even in Vermont. One of my duties was monitoring in school suspension during lunch. Knew most of the kids there and couldn't believe that they were being thrown out of other classes and were loving time in mine, even being helpful to other students.

We had block scheduling, so 80 minute classes. This led me to think that the trades could be taught within a HS and not siphoned off to Vocational centers.

Mixing of classes is great, why shouldn't a phys ed mountain biking class not teach basic wrenching? An art class teach frame making. Why not teach derailleur adjusting in Spanish or French? MAKE IT FUN!!

HS is daycare to some degree so lighten up and realize that 7 hrs of the 3 r's just should not be the model .

Shutting up again...
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 11-01-23, 03:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Have been skimming this thread for a few days.
I'm a cabinetmaker by trade. At the age of 42, It came to me that it was hard work and low pay and unhealthy. I took a job teaching home building at one of the tech centers in Vermont, won't go into the details. That also was stressful as building homes with 20 kids alone was hard work. Eventually transferred to another school and became a Tech Ed teacher, but it was really Woodshop. This school gave a required fine arts credit for my class, so if a kid didn't do band,chorus, art or dance then they came to me. I had great freedom to teach what I wanted and the program became a furniture making class with some design added so I could say with a straight face that they earned fine arts credits. I had kids that could barely read a tape measure alongside ones bound for ivy league or engineering schools, fun 15 years and my program was maxed out enrollment wise. Anyway, can't tell you how many parents came to me so impressed by what their kid had brought home asking if they had a future in the trade. I'd have to explain to them how I came to teaching. Program lasted for one more year after I retired and now does robotics I think.
A few of my thoughts,

Kids need to learn how things fit together and develop confidence that they can figure things out when pressed. This also impresses on them the value of community members that build bikes, homes, farms etc.

Kids need a break from the normal school day which is so institutionalized, lord its close to an asylum even in Vermont. One of my duties was monitoring in school suspension during lunch. Knew most of the kids there and couldn't believe that they were being thrown out of other classes and were loving time in mine, even being helpful to other students.

We had block scheduling, so 80 minute classes. This led me to think that the trades could be taught within a HS and not siphoned off to Vocational centers.

Mixing of classes is great, why shouldn't a phys ed mountain biking class not teach basic wrenching? An art class teach frame making. Why not teach derailleur adjusting in Spanish or French? MAKE IT FUN!!

HS is daycare to some degree so lighten up and realize that 7 hrs of the 3 r's just should not be the model .

Shutting up again...
Great input. More examples that there are HS kids who get excited by building/doing stuff with their hands. Today's kids aren't all one way, or anther way, any more than we were.

A good friend (and long-time cycling buddy) of mine runs a custom cabinet-making and woodworking business. It's been pretty successful for him. He has also made a habit of hiring young folks to work with him. They learn to use tools and about the life of working in a craft trade. For some, it's not a fit. For others, it opens up a world of possibilities they didn't really think about. My kid was one of the second group. After a freshman year at a large university, struggling to find a meaningful academic path, my kid spent the summer sweeping floors, sanding cabinets, and assisting with the installation of some really amazing work...and loved it. It changed the perspective on the path ahead, and clarified that an academic track to a career as a white-collar professional sounds miserable. For many young folks, a 4-year college degree is the right choice. For my kid, it is not. At least not right now.
Old 11-01-23, 04:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
and I hardly know how to turn wrenches
You should learn, knowing how to use tools is a very useful skill to have, every man should have some basic knowledge about how to use tools. I am not just talking about bike specific tools but all types of tools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.