Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Cycling Shoes for Season

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 03:05 AM
lupo68288

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi everyone,
I need new Cycling shoes for the next seasons, because my current Shoes (Shimano RC1) are too big for me. I have the Shimano Spd SL Pedals and would like to have good budget shoes, which are equipped with Shimano SPD SL and last long. What Shoes can you recommend for me?
Old 01-07-24, 04:23 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
As far as I know no cycling shoe comes equipped with cleats. My everyday shoes for the road are a older pair of Shimano r088 for bad weather, a pair of Bontrager Classique for nice days and Giro Privateer shoe for mtb, gravel and especially touring. I like the Giro shoe mostly for it's comfort on and off the bike but it is SPD only. The Bontrager shoe is great on the bike, looks fantastic and like the Giro shoe it has laces so I can accommodate my widish feet easily. The Shimano shoe is the oldest of the group. I was not super comfortable at first but a few rides in and a couple good soakings in the rain they seemed to fit a bit better. FWIW I only put 5000-8000 miles in good years split between 5 or 6 different bikes.

I should note I have had a few foot injuries over the years and get a ganglion syst on the side of one foot from time to time. I have tried MANY other shoes over the years but these brands I know I will go back to if needed.
Old 01-07-24, 08:27 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I have a pair of Specialized Torch 1.0 shoes and find them very comfortable and well worth the price.
I also have a pair of their SWorks Torch shoes and they are amazing...a bit less cushy than the 1's but wow are they nice shoes...but wow they are not inexpensive.
Old 01-07-24, 08:54 AM
lupo68288

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the answer. I also looked for myself and I think that 75 bucks for some cycling shoes is a fair price. I think I will try the Specialized one. Thanks
Likes For lupo68288:
Old 01-07-24, 09:03 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Shoes are 1 thing I buy locally from a shop after trying them on.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 01-07-24, 09:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
BITD you could get fleece-lined winter shoes, but I don't know of any for modern clipless systems. I have some battery-powered shoe warmers and neoprene shoe covers I use for cold weather riding with clipless shoes.
Old 01-07-24, 10:04 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Pearl Izumi and Giro work for me. Specialized gave me the worst case of hot foot that I've had in my life. I mean crippling take the shoes off and walk home hot foot.

YMMV of course
Old 01-08-24, 12:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Pearl Izumi and Giro work for me. Specialized gave me the worst case of hot foot that I've had in my life. I mean crippling take the shoes off and walk home hot foot.

YMMV of course
I had some shoes that gave me wicked hot-foot. On a whim, I put some arch support insoles in them and the hot-foot problem disappeared. Could be worth trying.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-14-24, 06:12 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by lupo68288
Hi everyone,
I need new Cycling shoes for the next seasons, because my current Shoes (Shimano RC1) are too big for me...
lupo,
My slightly too big RC-1s are now my winter shoes. Two pairs of socks and duct tape covering the air vents on the bottom and I'm good down to freezing. May not work for you, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 01-14-24, 06:49 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Sometimes, if weight isn't micromanaged, incorporating an additional foot insole per shoe can fill in the void. I had to add the "double" foam after the shoes broke in. I wish their was a stiffer double thickness sole available for shoe inserts.
Old 01-16-24, 06:46 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I think it is very difficult to gauge what shoes will work for another person unless you know what already fits them. For me, I can wear any pair of Adidas in a size 14* and immediately go for a 5 mile hike without even breaking them in. On the other hand, Nikes don't fit me at all. I suggest OP states what size and brand of sneakers fit them like a glove and another member who has the same experience can offer which bike shoes they prefer.

*Cycling shoes that were too big? I've never heard of such a thing! But if you like size 14 Adidas, you'll love the Giro MTB shoes I wear.