Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Flare R

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bontrager Flare R

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 12:06 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Bontrager Flare R

I think I have found the best taillight on the market. This light has been getting some great reviews so I thought's I'd share my own experience from this past week. I bought the light on Christmas Eve, went out on Christmas Day with a full charge for a 85 mile ride. Due to high winds it took me 6:49. The light is rated for 5.75 hours in daylight flash then another 2 hours in "low power" mode at 5%. The battery indicator wasn't even flashing red, indicating the 5% mark yet. So I easily could have had 9 hours of light. I also went into my dark garage on Christmas Eve and compared the light spread of the Flare R to my Cygo Light Hot Shot, no comparison, the Flare is much brighter and casts a wider beam.

Bontrager Flare R rear light review - BikeRadar USA
Old 12-29-15, 12:14 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I have one too and I like it. Have nothing to compare it against though.
Old 12-29-15, 12:25 PM
kookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one a few weeks ago and while riding on an overcast day, another cyclist chased me down and asked what kind of light it was. He said he noticed how bright the light was almost a kilometer away. He was kinda shocked when I told him how much it costs.
Old 12-29-15, 12:57 PM
floridamtb

Originally Posted by kookie
I bought one a few weeks ago and while riding on an overcast day, another cyclist chased me down and asked what kind of light it was. He said he noticed how bright the light was almost a kilometer away. He was kinda shocked when I told him how much it costs.
I was reading the review on Facebook about it and one guy was complaining about the $60 price tag. Let's see $60 to avoid getting hit by a car and maybe spending $5K on medical bills IF you survive. Some people put a price on safety, I won't
Old 12-29-15, 02:17 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I recently bought one, much brighter than the old Cateye.
Old 12-29-15, 02:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
I was reading the review on Facebook about it and one guy was complaining about the $60 price tag. Let's see $60 to avoid getting hit by a car and maybe spending $5K on medical bills IF you survive. Some people put a price on safety, I won't
Medical bills from my accident a couple months ago were about $19,000 including the ride in the ambulance. Thank the gods for insurance. My hip hurts ever since getting hit by a car, though, like one minute I'm riding my bike up a hill and the next minute I'm an old person.
Old 12-29-15, 02:47 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Picked up one of these on Black Friday, used it for 4 commutes the next week; total 3.5hrs nighttime solid and 4 hours daytime flash with no problems. Loving the battery life
Old 12-29-15, 02:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
Careful... when i posted how my new helmet protected me during a crash, i was told that using safety equipment give a false sense and you are more likely to take risks.

I say bull *****.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 05-26-16 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code.
Old 12-29-15, 05:05 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I'm generally a Trek/Bontrager fan, but I don't understand why everyone's busting a nut over this light. The Knog Blinder Road R70 has been out for years, is 5 Lumens brighter (at 70 Lumens), has similar battery life, can mount on an aero post, and is the same price as the Flare R. I've had the light for over a year and routinely get asked by cyclists and drivers alike what kind of light it is.

The only real advantage I see of the Flare R is that it's 17g lighter. I'd rather have the extra 5 Lumens.
Old 12-29-15, 05:09 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I bought one because I saw it at my LBS, which is a Trek dealer. I inquired, read up on it, then went back and bought it to replace my few years old Flare.

I used it on my first metric century, which took about 6.5 hours of riding and it still had full lighting charge (hadn't gone into the low battery mode).
Old 12-29-15, 05:47 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I'm on my second one. Trek replaced the first one as it failed after/during a 70 mile ride in the rain. I don't know if it failed at mile 5 or mile 69.
Old 12-29-15, 06:23 PM
jdjones
-:-

Bikes: Moots Vamoots CR

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Knog Blinder here. I love it. Various models go from $30 to $60, maybe cheaper on eBay.
Old 12-29-15, 07:37 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I've got a Flare R as that is the best tail light that my LBS sells and these things are more visible than anything that I have ever seen in our area. That doesn't mean that there aren't better ones somewhere.

I've never pushed mine past 5.5 hours, but it is good to go up to that point for sure.

dave
Old 12-29-15, 08:29 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Got one for Xmas also and I am very pleased with it. My old Rad Bot 1000 was starting to turn off after hitting any major bumps. To be fair I ride about 200 rides a year in the dark and have had it 4 years. It died a noble death.
Old 12-30-15, 05:31 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Looks nice. I use a Light in Motion that puts out a reported 100 lumes. Nice unit and well built, BUT, like this Bontrager, it mounts with a rubber stretchy thing, which in my experience is a joke. It does not stay stable, ends up moving side ways after riding on rough roads. Why not use a plastic mount that closes with a screw that tightens, like a Niterider or even the budget Planet Bike units?
Old 12-30-15, 06:32 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm using it and love it.
Old 12-30-15, 07:51 AM
mjh365

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another fan here. I replaced the Hot Shot with the Flare R. Great light, easy to use and the charge lasts.
Old 12-30-15, 09:06 AM
Phlorida

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mine several months and really like it. I like that it remembers the mode that it was in when it was turned off. I do like the mount even though it does turn a bit on the seat post. The USB port cover is cheap and hard to close on mine.
Old 12-30-15, 10:07 AM
floridamtb

Originally Posted by RNAV
I'm generally a Trek/Bontrager fan, but I don't understand why everyone's busting a nut over this light. The Knog Blinder Road R70 has been out for years, is 5 Lumens brighter (at 70 Lumens), has similar battery life, can mount on an aero post, and is the same price as the Flare R. I've had the light for over a year and routinely get asked by cyclists and drivers alike what kind of light it is.

The only real advantage I see of the Flare R is that it's 17g lighter. I'd rather have the extra 5 Lumens.
Sounds like a great light as well, I've never seen one in stores or read reviews about if I had I probably would have got it instead of the Hot Shot at first
Old 12-30-15, 10:24 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Thanks for posting your review. I have a Hot Shot and was pretty impressed by its output. I may have to pick one of these up in the spring when the bike goes back onto the road.
Old 12-30-15, 11:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
The Flare is bright, but styling isn't great. How long does it take to recharge from empty?

Regarding the Knog Blinder R70, while it is more stylish, it is less versatile (no clip option), but more importantly, Knog products have been so unreliable for me, that I just won't spend on them again until I have good reason to believe their game has been upped. And I used to be a real Knog fan, too...

I've had more Knog products than I count, from a multitude of Beetles, two NERDs, two Blinder Road headlamps, four to six Boomer tailights, at least a couple Boomer headlamps and probably others. Anyway, nust about all of them failed in one way or another. Often electronics would go on the fritz, which was a big problem with Boomers, but the Road lights suffered strap failures, electronics failures, and one didn't work right out of the box. Speaking of box, I've got a box full of assorted Knog crap, most inop, if anyone is interested...

I've gone over to Lezyne lights, but I'm also loving the new Specialized Stix, which are very stylish, light, fast-recharging marker lights.
Old 05-07-16, 01:02 PM
maltess2

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought it today, what´s the order of the modes? how long it takes to charge? I dont see this info in the box. Weird thing is I plugged the charger for 2 hours and the light is green , if I disconnect and connect I get the red initial flash again, like if I was starting again ith the battery charge, is this normal?
Old 05-07-16, 03:45 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Great light, very bright and good for daylight use also! I had another brand previously and it was not comparable! However, during a community ride in the evening during early Fall, some riders complained that the Bontrager was too bright and that they could not see ahead. One rider indicated that she has seizures and asked me to turn it off. 8-)) I feel very secure knowing that I have the Flare R.
Old 05-07-16, 03:47 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
[QUOTE=maltess2;18748611]I bought it today, what´s the order of the modes? how long it takes to charge? I dont see this info in the box. Weird thing is I plugged the charger for 2 hours and the light is green , if I disconnect and connect I get the red initial flash again, like if I was starting again ith the battery charge, is this normal?[/QUO

It alternates between steady and flash. Day steady and day flash, night steady, and night flash. This is info on the back of the box.
Old 05-07-16, 04:00 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yashinon
It alternates between steady and flash. Day steady and day flash, night steady, and night flash. This is info on the back of the box.
Its actually Day Steady > Night Steady > Day Flash > Night Flash. At least that's how mine works
@maltess2 The battery, when it's full, will stay green solid. If you unplug and replug it, it'll show the flashing red for a minute or so, then go to solid green again. Mine takes 4 hours or so to charge from dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.