Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Gravel on Road Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 12:10 AM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
Gravel on Road Wheels

I'm running about 208 as we enter "gravel season" in Northeast Oklahoma, and I've done a pretty complete rebuild of my 2018 Specialized Diverge with an aluminum frame. I used to use this bike as both road and gravel with two separate wheelsets, but I've since gone back to real road bike, so I found myself considering two wheelsets to use for gravel this year.

1. The stock "Axis Elite Disc" wheels have always felt sluggish to me.
2. The road wheels that came with the bike aren't exactly delicate, they're DT Swiss R24s.

Here is the bike as built last weekend, taken on a shakedown ride on Sunday:

So, I have two questions about using these wheels for gravel:
1. Are they strong enough to manage pretty diverse gravel rides? They have 24 bladed spokes.
2. Are they wide enough for these tires? The internal width of the rims is 18mm, and the tires pictured are 37mm WTB Riddlers that measure about 37 on the rims.

And, yes, that is a Sensah SRX groupset on there. I couldn't help but try it at the price. I quickly realized I don't like 1x11 on the road (running 42 x 11-42) because the jumps are just too big. On gravel, though (running 42 x 11-46), I was really pleased. We'll see how it holds up, though.
Old 09-25-23, 05:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhouston
I'm running about 208 as we enter "gravel season" in Northeast Oklahoma, ...

1. Are they strong enough to manage pretty diverse gravel rides? They have 24 bladed spokes.
2. Are they wide enough for these tires? The internal width of the rims is 18mm, and the tires pictured are 37mm WTB Riddlers that measure about 37 on the rims.
At 208 lbs., the answer to question #1 should be yes, unless you are attempting to land jumps best left to MTBs.

As for question #2, also yes. See Tire & Rim Fit Chart – WTB.

Those are some long valve stems; do they double as Bluetooth antennas?
Old 09-28-23, 08:44 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Thanks for the feedback. They have felt great so far with this setup.
And, yeah, the stems are so long it's awkward to use them. But they were what was in stock at the nearest LBS the day I needed them.
Old 09-28-23, 09:17 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhouston

And, yes, that is a Sensah SRX groupset on there. I couldn't help but try it at the price. I quickly realized I don't like 1x11 on the road (running 42 x 11-42) because the jumps are just too big. On gravel, though (running 42 x 11-46), I was really pleased. We'll see how it holds up, though.
1. I wouldn't go with 24 spoke on a gravel bike though I'm sure there's plenty who do. A 28 or 32 spoke will offer more strength and compliance over the same terrain.
2. Sure, its less than the modern view of ideal and your tire will take on a slight lightbulb shape but it will work fine. Considering old mtb rims were 18mm internal with 50mm equivalent tires (1.95), there shouldn't be a problem with 37mm.

I've been considering a sensah group to toss on a frameset just to have a spare bike to ride. Nothing wrong if it works.
Old 09-28-23, 09:39 PM
dbhouston 

[QUOTE=Russ Roth;23028895. I've been considering a sensah group to toss on a frameset just to have a spare bike to ride. Nothing wrong if it works.[/QUOTE]

I've got a couple good gravel events in the coming weeks and will report back on the wheels and the Sensah.
Old 10-08-23, 04:07 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I have a set similar on a Trek 920 that has seen thousands of off road miles although I use a different tire (that is slightly too wide). As far as your title of gravel on road wheels I don't shy away even on my pure road bikes. Being said the one in the picture only will see well traveled gravel roads and nothing harsher. I am around 230-235# these days.