Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many BF posters have cracked a bike frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 10:07 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts

A few years ago, I had a Trek T50 tandem. My son and I would hammer that thing. Seriously laying down the watts as much as a father/son duo could all the way through his teen years. Uphill, downhill, stand and stomp sprints, switchbacks and windy roads were no match for our "mad skillz."

...Apparently, the bike wasn't either. The down tube cracked at a down tube water bottle boss. The stiffener tube is what held the bike together.

I also had a Scattante DX350. A Fuji built frame for Performance Bicycles house brand. It was built around some really weird "standards." One was a head tube meant for IS/ZS 42mm headset cups to be mated to a standard 1&1/8 straight steerer. Another was 130mm disc. But the frame was actually 131mm and the dropouts were true so I never paid it any mind and importantly, I didn't know any better. So I stuffed a 135mm disc wheel in it from around mile 1,000 to it's final demise at around mile 9,000 or so. The stress of 8,000 miles of a wider than appropriate wheel on the chain stay bridge of the aluminum frame while I enthusiastically rode aggressively, lost 40 pounds and got strong, was just too much. It too, cracked.

Nothing bad happened. It was just a hairline originating in the weld proceeding about half way around the tube. The bike began life as a budget CX, became a road bike. Then, as a gravel bike with mountain gears I broke 2 forks and occasionally shredded a tire. It died a 76 gear inch single-speed on Seattle hills. It really is a shame. It took a really long time to locate a 130mm disc hub once I realized the error of my ways. Too long, apparently. (I guess I finally identified that bottom bracket "knock," huh?)

Now, my Rodriguez global travel bike that I have been using for commuting duties is bent. I don't know what happened. The single-speed chain to the Rohloff hub was just a lot more slack today than it was yesterday and there is a 4mm discrepancy in how close the wheel is to each chainstay. Flipping the wheel around makes no difference. It is the frame that mysteriously taken a banana like tendency. I will be taking it to R&E for evaluation. (I was mad as hell and tried to chase down a negligent car driver the previous ride. Could that have done it? )

Now that I think about it...I've been through 3 bottom brackets in 8,000 miles and had Ruckus Composites repair a bubbling chainstay on my Cervelo, too.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a common denominator, here...

How many frames have you used until failure? Stories please...

Last edited by base2; 11-22-23 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-22-23, 10:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
My 87 Columbus tubed Bianchi cracked by the BB. Had it welded and the bike lives on and is put into service on wet rides. The crack was not due to the massive wattage I could not muster.

Last edited by rsbob; 11-22-23 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-22-23, 10:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My 87 Columbus tubed Bianchi cracked by the BB. Had it welded and the bike lives on and is put into service on wet rides. The crack was not due to the massive wattage I could not muster.
My 87 Columbus tubed Bianchi cracked near the front derailleur braze-on. Had it warrantied and the new frame has lasted 34 years.
Old 11-22-23, 10:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I was climbing a mountain in the Catskills and sheared the rear axle on a freewheel hub, bent the drive side stays and the non-drive drop out and ruined the frame, trek deemed it abuse. Was asked to test out a Vicious Cycles cross bike made with ritchey tubing, it didn't like the staircase ride and the fork bent back far enough that the tire went past the downtube and nearly made me crash. I'd say that was on the abusive side but I'd done similar rides on my 853 Havnoonian cross bike so I still think the frame/fork were sub-par. Had a Giant that had the drive side seat stay separate from the seat tube, kinda just popped off, not certain how it happened, just seemed to ride weird one day and a quick look showed the issue.
Old 11-22-23, 10:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I had a used late 90's Spec Rockhopper and it cracked about 2cm above the bottom bracket along with my ankle while I was doing something stupid according to my wife, but I did not think so.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-23-23, 12:22 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
2014 Ridley Helium(lightweight climbing bike.) After about 6 years of riding, it developed a small crack at the back of the drive side chain stay. It was almost invisible from the outside...the only thing that clued me into something being wrong, was a horrendous creaking noise that it developed. Saw a very faint crack in the paint, pulled the rear derailleur cable out and could see the crack well from the inside.

I think it was a perfect storm of factors leading to the crack. The lay-up of the carbon on the inside of that frame is not impressive. I also crashed that bike a couple years previously. ******y brag-time, but I do put out some pretty decent wattage(not a flyweight climber though.) I think a smaller rider may have never experienced the same issue, watching the bottom bracket area flex while pedaling was always a bit disconcerting.

Anyway, I ended up on a brand new Canyon and never looked back. While I've only ridden the Canyon for 3.5 years, I've put considerably more miles on it than I did in the 6 on the Ridley. No issues so far and it has re-affirmed my faith in carbon not assploding.
Old 11-23-23, 12:33 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Lost count of how many bmx bike frames I have cracked as a kid. We did a lot stupid stuff back then.

I know I have way more hours and miles on each of my bikes that I have bought since 2020 ( gravel, road, mtb 6+ bikes ). No cracks yet.

small crack at the back of the drive side chain stay
Same place on my xgf bike. She is under 100 lbs cracked her 2015 specialized aluminum road bike. Not sure how she didn't ride it much and when she did it was just on the road. dunno
Old 11-23-23, 12:34 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I had a used late 90's Spec Rockhopper and it cracked about 2cm above the bottom bracket along with my ankle while I was doing something stupid according to my wife, but I did not think so.
ha-ha

that's why she become the wife. she knows you.
Old 11-23-23, 01:56 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
cracked a 2001 coppi ksc plane aluminum frame on a chain stay but had help getting hit from behind at a decent speed in december 2018. rip that coppi frame. loved loved it.
Old 11-23-23, 07:10 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Have cracked a frame twice. My first bike was an 18" wheel BSA. Great bike but after a few years the top tube broke just in front of the seat tube. My father found someone who was able to braze it back together and it lasted long enough that my brother and young cousin were both able to ride it. The other was my Commencal Super 4 which cracked at the junction between the top tube and seat tube. This was a common failure for the early versions of this frame along with the chain stay which I also broke
Old 11-23-23, 07:34 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
ha-ha

that's why she become the wife. she knows you.
very true.

Old 11-23-23, 07:44 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
I had a Trek FX model crack at one of the rear dropouts where it meets the seat stay. The rest of the parts were still servicable (some were upgrades), so I bought a touring frame off the old Nashbar website and built up a new bicycle using those parts (and a few newbies like a new crank and BB). I still have it and its in the ride rotation.
Old 11-23-23, 08:08 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Well, let's see...

Trek 460 (BB - seat tube)
Cinelli (Head tube)
Alan CX (Head tube)
Gianni Motta (BB - seat tube)
Nishiki Team (down tube)
Nishiki Comp III (left rear dropout)
Eisentraut (head tube)
Eisentraut (seat stay)
Specialized Roubaix Pro (BB Shell)

Might be a couple more over the last 40+ years.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 11-23-23 at 08:14 AM.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-23-23, 08:20 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
As a kid I tried everything I could to crack my Schwann Phantom Scrambler BMX bike. I wanted a new ride.

I used an engraver to draw in hairline cracks into the welds… turned that bike into a decked out Skyway TA.

Never broke a road or MTB frame.

I did explode a set of CF aero bars- that was bad.
Old 11-23-23, 10:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Well, let's see...

Trek 460 (BB - seat tube)
Cinelli (Head tube)
Alan CX (Head tube)
Gianni Motta (BB - seat tube)
Nishiki Team (down tube)
Nishiki Comp III (left rear dropout)
Eisentraut (head tube)
Eisentraut (seat stay)
Specialized Roubaix Pro (BB Shell)

Might be a couple more over the last 40+ years.
I think you win.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-23-23, 10:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I had an "English" 3 speed as a kid. Was jumping off a dirt mound to show off and the head tube broke and I went over the bars, Kid in the neighborhood had a pile of bike crap and I bought a frame from him and transferred all the parts.

Had a lovely Nishiki rigid steel mtb. Heard a funny noise and found the rear axle bent. Put a new axle in and the noise was still there. Closer inspection revealed the chainstay had snapped in front of the left dropout.

Bought a Trek 660 new in 1988? I think. After about 15K miles it cracked radially around the bottom bracket. Trek warrantied it but they didn't make 660s anymore so they gave me store credit and I got a Landshark built up with my parts for $150.

I rode a K2 mountain bike for 10 years. I was climbing a hill near home getting ready to descend the other side and heard a noise which sounded like the chain was slapping around. Got off and looked at the chain and didn't see anything. Finishing the climb the noise was still there and took a longer look before descending and picked up the bike by the saddle and the rear wheel stayed on the ground. Seat stay broke and the suspension was pivoting the whole thing. Walked home that day.
Old 11-23-23, 11:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Four. Two steel and two aluminum.

1984 Miyata Ridge Runner. Broken four times (arrows below show breaks). First one one the fork steer tube which a Miyata rep told me that they were suggesting people replace the forks because they break but they wouldn’t cover it under warranty. Cracked at the bottom bracket bridge but they wouldn’t cover it under warranty because I actually rode the bike as a mountain bike! Had it repaired…and discovered how hard repairing steel really is. Then it broke at the rear dropout when an axle broke which I also had repaired. Then it broke at the bottom bracket bridge again. Disposed of it after that.

1989 Specialized Rock Combo. Steel. Broke at the dropout.

1998 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro. M2 metal matrix frame. It cracked at the brake bridge which was a very common problem for the frame. Great frame but the metal matrix was brittle.

1998 Nashbar Flashback. Not this one but the black frame version. I bought too small a size and was attempting to get the seat back further using a Titec Hellbent seatpost. Cracked the seat mast but had it repaired without any issues. Gave it away but it was still in use last I knew.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-23-23, 11:33 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Four frames, if my memory serves me right. All were low grade steel and all of them were abused quite heavily. The first two were kids' bike frames with 24" wheels, both cracked at the chainstays near BB. Another one was a touring bike frame, bent both top tube and downtube after a frontal crash; I bent the frame back into shape, but soon enough the damage was repeated and resulted in cracked frame. The fourth one was an entry level rigid Peugeot MTB. It didn't like jumps at sub- freezing temperatures; both seatstays seperated from the seat tube.

Aside from that I have broken cranks, a crank spindle and a stem.

Last edited by subgrade; 11-23-23 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-23-23, 11:41 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
None. I did have a Deda aluminum road bar develop a crack. And a Dura-Ace crank arm, but I blame me for putting it on a standard JIS spindle (not low-profile) and riding it single speed. And that was after forty years or so.

Otto
Old 11-23-23, 12:32 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Does my 70s era Western Flyer Buzz Bike Eliminator count? Broke at the headtube after rough jump. Fixed by dad. Steel is real.
Old 11-23-23, 01:25 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Just one, an '80s steel racing frame. A previous owner ran it into a hay bale. Fork was realigned by the builder. I rode it for four years until the down tube finally cracked. "No regerts."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-23-23, 02:26 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Just one, an '80s steel racing frame. A previous owner ran it into a hay bale. Fork was realigned by the builder. I rode it for four years until the down tube finally cracked. "No regerts."
All of my broken frames except one were in the ‘80s during my racing years and all were crashed at one time or another.

Old 11-23-23, 02:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Weird crack on the side of the downtube of a 2000 Lemond Victorie titanium road frame. Maybe 1/2 long, right next to the cable stop. Trek would not honor a warranty as I had had the frame painted locally, after 2 occasions of the OEM paint flacking off, the 2nd Trek paint job sucked as much as the first. F Trek, 8 will never buy a bike from them, they were dicks about this.
Old 11-23-23, 04:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have neither the strength nor the crash probability to break a frame. Yes crash could happen, but I avoid them at all costs. So I've never damaged a bike frame in over 60 years of riding.

I did bend the front wheel of my first bike when I let my older brother ride it to school when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade with me on the front handlebars (remember that?) My foot went into the wheel and it got bent. My dad, as punishment (we weren't supposed to do that), made me ride the bike with the bent wheel for as long as I remember.

I think I might have broken a trike when I was 5. I remember my dad taking it with us to my grandparents' house one weekend and my grandpa brazing something to fix it. I put out a lot of wattage on that trike! Or, more likely, playing "bumper tag" with my brother on his trike.
Old 11-23-23, 10:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I have neither the strength nor the crash probability to break a frame. Yes crash could happen, but I avoid them at all costs. So I've never damaged a bike frame in over 60 years of riding.

I did bend the front wheel of my first bike when I let my older brother ride it to school when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade with me on the front handlebars (remember that?) My foot went into the wheel and it got bent. My dad, as punishment (we weren't supposed to do that), made me ride the bike with the bent wheel for as long as I remember.

I think I might have broken a trike when I was 5. I remember my dad taking it with us to my grandparents' house one weekend and my grandpa brazing something to fix it. I put out a lot of wattage on that trike! Or, more likely, playing "bumper tag" with my brother on his trike.
Crashes aren’t really a cause of frame breakage. I do have the crash probability as I crash with frightening regularity. I even crashed a bicycle into the side of a car long ago. That didn’t break the frame…bent the hell out of it but it didn’t break. I wouldn’t expect any bike to not be bent by running it into the side of a car but I really doubt that any frame would actually break during such an event.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.