Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me understand chainline and crankset compatibility

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 02:00 AM
polygon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hoping someone can clarify something for me. Assuming the chainring and single-speed freewheel are both 1/8" or 3/32", is the compatibility for a singlespeed build or conversion simply a matter of making sure the chainlines for the crankset and the freewheel are identical? Let's say I have a wheel with one of the Surly flip-flop hubs with a chainline of 53.5mm – can I just use any crankset that has a similar chainline?
Old 02-16-24, 10:38 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by polygon1
Hoping someone can clarify something for me. Assuming the chainring and single-speed freewheel are both 1/8" or 3/32", is the compatibility for a singlespeed build or conversion simply a matter of making sure the chainlines for the crankset and the freewheel are identical? Let's say I have a wheel with one of the Surly flip-flop hubs with a chainline of 53.5mm – can I just use any crankset that has a similar chainline?
That's all there is to it!

Keep in mind it doesn't have to be exactly the same. I've run 3/32" drivetrains with 4-5mm of mismatch in chainline and never had any issues. 1/8" or dedicated singlespeed 3/32" chains are going to be a little less tolerant since they don't flex as much laterally but I've only ever used regular 3/32" multispeed chains with no issues. You can have a pretty large mismatch - just think about how much chain deflection modern mountain bike drivetrains have to deal with, but the straighter the chain the better. Straight chains make a quiet drivetrain
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-17-24, 03:08 PM
polygon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! Appreciate it.