Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to ship my bike to Korea

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 07:26 PM
SurlyLaika

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need to get my bike in the Seoul area, cheaply. Help.

I just got a job teaching English in Suwon, South Korea...near Seoul. I've already paid out my nose for all my documents, my certification course, and I have to front the cost for my air fare which I will be reimbursed. Right now, though, I'm plainly out of cash and I'l probably need to borrow money to ship my bike to Korea. I'm considering flying United Airlines International because it's the most affordable. I'm only taking one checked bag, which will definitely come in at under 50 lbs, and a carry on. That means I have one checked bag I am not using. I could substitute my bike for my second check baggage item as long as it weighs less than 50 lbs and the box is less than 62 linear inches. Otherwise, I have to pay an oversize fee. My bike will weigh less than 50 lbs, but the box is 94.5 inches....so definitely oversize. The oversize fee is 230,000 Korean won or $204.(I am aware that conversion rates fluctuate) Is this about as cheap as I can expect to get my bike over there?I'd appreciate if anyone can give me any tips on shipping my bike for less.

I figure I can make up the cost by bicycle commuting instead of relying on public transit. Also, at about $400, it's going to cost me about $66 if I stay for only 6 months of my year long contract or $33/month if I stay for the full year.

Last edited by SurlyLaika; 02-20-12 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 08:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Before you decide on your airline, read this:
https://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

Especially scroll down to where it tells you the shipping charges for bicycles.

You'll discover that US airlines charge a lot for bicycles, but other airlines are inexpensive or free. Can you fly Korean Air ($50 for bicycles), Thai Airways (free for bicycles), Qantas (free for bicycles), Air New Zealand (free for bicycles) ....

Just one disclaimer ... be absolutely sure to look up the BICYCLE baggage information for each of the airlines you check. Bicycle information is different from sporting goods, and different from oversized luggage. And all baggage information changes minute to minute so check now, check again a couple weeks before you go, check again a few days before you go, check again a couple hours before you drive to the airport .....

Oh, BTW - unless your bicycle is a folding bicycle, or you have S&S couplings, or you are very, very small .... your bicycle will not be less than 62 linear inches. That's another reason to look up the bicycle information rather than the oversized luggage information. Your bicycle will be oversized. They set it up that way so that you have to check your bicycle as a bicycle.

Last edited by Machka; 02-20-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 08:22 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Cheapest way is going to be to fly with it. Cheaper might be on container ship but it will probably get there when you are ready to come home.

For $400 RT you could probably buy a bike for less then that, then sell it before you leave. If you find someone you trust they can sell it for you. Or maybe arange with the shop to sell it back to them as a purchase condition.

DO you speak Korean? Sounds like a cool job, maybe when I retire but the only language I speak is English and a little Italian but not enough to be conversant.
Old 02-21-12, 01:56 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Cheapest way is to fly with it.
Old 02-21-12, 03:40 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One hint for you, if you havent been working in ROK before, learn the Korean alphabet before you go.

It is easy, only 24 letters, and the way words are said hasnt diverged much from the spelling, so if you can say the alphabet, you can say the words.

Korean uses many English words, written in Korean, thinks like Elebator (elevator, no v in Korean) signs are everywhere.

z
Old 02-21-12, 08:33 AM
pandi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, just saw your post.

I am currently living in Korea. I actually just purchased my Surly as I am preparing for my bike tour for when my contract ends. I wish you luck on your flight over here. When you arrive and are finally settled in, look up the Han River Riders on facebook. It is a very active cycling community in Seoul.

Hope to be riding with you soon!
Old 02-22-12, 01:44 AM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pandi
Hey, just saw your post.

I am currently living in Korea. I actually just purchased my Surly as I am preparing for my bike tour for when my contract ends. I wish you luck on your flight over here. When you arrive and are finally settled in, look up the Han River Riders on facebook. It is a very active cycling community in Seoul.

Hope to be riding with you soon!
Thanks for the tip, azesty. I'll do that.

I've actually heard if the famous Han river riders from another BF member garethzbarker. I'll definitely look you guys up. I'll want to keep up on group rides and I have a strong attachment to my cross check. It took me from up and down the length of California. It's my day to day commuter and I'd hate to leave it behind so it's coming with me. I'll just have to swallow the cost to get it there.
Old 02-22-12, 02:01 AM
pandi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Gareth is good people. I was introduced to the group by him. I am actually riding with him along the Han this saturday! There is then going to be a meetup of alot of the guys at a bar near Itaewon.
Old 02-22-12, 04:28 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when does your contract end? where are you planning on touring?
Old 02-22-12, 09:54 PM
pandi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My contract ends at the end of June. I will be doing my tour during July/August.