Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

campy shift cable too short???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 12:34 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts

I'm installing Campy Veloce on a CAAD8 frame. I put jagwire inline adjusters in both shift cables, the front is fine. The rear cable is at least 6" too short.

This is a set of ultra low friction cables and housing. I didn't cut much off the housing from the right ergo to the cable stop on the headtube, and I didn't cut anything off the short housing from the stop on the chainstay to the rear derailleur.

This is not a large frame (52cm) and once running along the frame, through the cable guide to the rear cable stop there aren't too many places to go wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Additional info: The rear shift cable has the factory end; it hasn't been cut.

Last edited by speedevil; 05-27-12 at 01:01 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-27-12, 01:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Two,

Find someplace to trim 6" from the housing.
Buy a longer inner wire.

Most original inner wires are 2000mm which is long enough for most situations. But those with larger frames, or long housing runs at the HB end, may find that too short.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-27-12, 05:28 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Something is wrong, with that small a frame. Maybe they cut a cable too short. That said, there should have been a fair amount cut off the housings from the ergos to the stop on the frame. They are made long enough to use on much larger frames and you increased the length by adding adjusters. I ride a 51cm frame with a 125mm head tube and always have plenty of housing and cable length.
Old 05-27-12, 06:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Stupid question (maybe)

Years ago, Campagnolo supplied two inner wires of different lengths. I don't know if they still do, or if whatever kit you used did likewise. But just in case, is it possible you used the rear wire up front, leaving you the too short (front) wire for the rear?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-27-12, 06:36 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you mean the cable is too short or the housing is too short?
Old 05-27-12, 06:44 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Stupid question (maybe)

Years ago, Campagnolo supplied two inner wires of different lengths. I don't know if they still do, or if whatever kit you used did likewise. But just in case, is it possible you used the rear wire up front, leaving you the too short (front) wire for the rear?
Yeah, at least through 2006 Campy (and Shiimano IIRC) supplied shorter front derailleur and brake cables and longer rear cables. If you mix them up, the front cables will be way too long and the rear cables too short.
Old 05-27-12, 08:23 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Yeah, at least through 2006 Campy (and Shiimano IIRC) supplied shorter front derailleur and brake cables and longer rear cables. If you mix them up, the front cables will be way too long and the rear cables too short.
Jagwire still does. I mistakenly used the rear cable from my cable kit on the front and when it came time to install the rear, I was left with a too-short cable. I had already cut the front cable (stupid mistake) and so I had to go and get a new cable for the rear
Old 05-27-12, 08:34 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm always annoyed at how short campy makes their shifter cables.

It's even more annoying trying to get one in a tandem length.
Old 05-27-12, 08:43 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

I compared the shift cables and used the shorter one on the front derailleur. I cut about an inch and a half from the housing at the chainstay to the derailleur, and cut an inch from the housing from the ergo to the frame cable stop. It is long enough now.

It just seemed odd that the cable would be too short using the delivered housing lengths on a small frame. I measured the rear cable and it was 200cm just as the directions indicated.

All OK now. I just need to get the initial tension on the cables and then do the fine tuning.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Old 05-28-12, 07:55 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
I cut about an inch and a half from the housing at the chainstay to the derailleur, and cut an inch from the housing from the ergo to the frame cable stop. It is long enough now.
I size the shifter housing from the brifters to the frame cable stops just long enough to allow the bars to be turned fully in each direction. That gives the shortest housing you can safely use.
Old 05-29-12, 05:35 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Originally Posted by HillRider
I size the shifter housing from the brifters to the frame cable stops just long enough to allow the bars to be turned fully in each direction. That gives the shortest housing you can safely use.
I pulled the cables out and removed a little over an inch from the front derailleur housing (brifter to the headset cable stop) and almost 2 inches from the rear derailleur housing. The rear derailleur cable is plenty long now, and I've been working on the adjustments. It would have been helpful to have a photo of the housings as they were originally done, but I got the frame as a frame/fork set, not as an assembled bike. Oh, well, at least I learned a few things with this build.

Photos on the CAAD thread soon.
Old 05-29-12, 09:53 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
I ride a 56, and just built up a new frame with Centaur. I had about 12" leftover on both front & rear shifters, so they seemed fine to me.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-29-12, 10:36 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Then I must still have the shift housings way too long, because on my 52cm frame I've only got an inch or so cable remaining from the clamp on the derailleur.

I obviously need to look at another road bike (that's properly set up) and compare cable routing and lengths.