Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Building disc brake wheels - tips?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 12:23 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts

I've built quite a few wheels for me and friends, and they turned out good. However, those were always traditional road or MTB wheels, and now a friend asks me to build disc brake wheels for his new 29". Is there any difference, tips, etc. to building traditional wheels? I mean leading/trailing spokes on the inside or outside, things like that. Hubs are Sram X9 and rims All Mountain, lacing 32 x3.
Old 06-02-12, 01:58 PM
wmodavis
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I've built quite a few wheels for me and friends, and they turned out good. However, those were always traditional road or MTB wheels, and now a friend asks me to build disc brake wheels for his new 29". Is there any difference, tips, etc. to building traditional wheels? I mean leading/trailing spokes on the inside or outside, things like that. Hubs are Sram X9 and rims All Mountain, lacing 32 x3.
Not too much different. Front rotor side higher tension to maintain dish. Can use either disk or non-disk rims but hub has to be disk ready. Otherwise pretty much the same. Happy building.
Old 06-02-12, 02:25 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you might get around L 100:90 R tension due to the dishing, but that's about it.
Old 06-02-12, 05:16 PM
reddog3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A wheelbuilder friend of mine who works at SRAM R&D says, the main reason to build wheels, sticking to the conventional wisdom of leading-trailing-inside-outside spoke placement, is to avoid unnecessary comments from the peanut gallery. Other than that it doesn't make a difference.