Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXXIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXXIII

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 07:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
Race was scheduled to be at 8 am, got there about 7 and assembled my bike, then waited in a long line for registration. Quick and easy process once you got up there. I had about 25 minutes to warm up, but I didn't have enough room to bring the trainer, so I rode some easy miles around the starting line.

The roads were not closed for the race, so we had to abide to the traffic laws. They strongly enforced the double yellow line, which means you can't pass that line for any reason, if you did your race was over. They had us start off the road, in a area that had tarps on dirt.

Once we started my plan was to try to stay near the front and not drift to the back. The pace at which we started surprised me, it was a slight downhill and if I was in the drops I didn't need to pedal. We did what felt like less than 100w for the first 8 miles. Once we hit a headwind, the pace got stepped up as I tried to stay behind someone. I got pushed out a couple of times, and it was very hard to get back into the draft once you were on the outside. I guess people don't like to open the draft for others, but I did a couple of times through the race.

There was a pretty good uphill section, about 6% for 6 tenths of a mile. On the first lap (of 2) they took a pretty good pace up it, about 310w according to strava, and held that for about 3 minutes. It was pretty easy so I was able to keep up. We finished on a slight down hill, on the first lap I was worried about running out of gears but I didn't then.
Second lap comes around and I still feel really good, I tried my best to stay in the draft but was still pushed out a couple of times. I had one close call once I slightly hit the wheel of the guy ahead of me. Nothing to cry about and we all moved along. I was planning on kicking really hard on the climb to try and get ahead for the downhill. So I did, I held 400w according to strava for a little of 2 minutes and nearly burned out, but I didn't. I was about 4th after that and everyone around me looked pretty exhausted.
I got into 3rd on the down hill, and drafted a big dude so I recovered a lot. We were going really fast as the finish was getting close, I looked at my gears as was already in my hardest legal, 50-14. I sprinted towards the finish line in sight and started to lead. I was in first about 100 yards away, but my gears were not hard enough. I hit 45mph according to strava, and my legs got toasted at 165 cadence or so. As I ran out of gears others passed me, and I kicked slightly too soon. Others got around me and I finished 8th about 2 seconds behind first. I was very happy with my performance, but I wonder what I would of placed with 50-11 gears. According to strava over the last mile, I held 497w for about 1 minutes 25 seconds.
This was on my phone, so try to ignore the errors if there are any.
If 310w for three minutes is "pretty easy", good for you!
Old 01-24-15, 07:51 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Race was scheduled to be at 8 am, got there about 7 and assembled my bike, then waited in a long line for registration. Quick and easy process once you got up there. I had about 25 minutes to warm up, but I didn't have enough room to bring the trainer, so I rode some easy miles around the starting line.

The roads were not closed for the race, so we had to abide to the traffic laws. They strongly enforced the double yellow line, which means you can't pass that line for any reason, if you did your race was over. They had us start off the road, in a area that had tarps on dirt.

Once we started my plan was to try to stay near the front and not drift to the back. The pace at which we started surprised me, it was a slight downhill and if I was in the drops I didn't need to pedal. We did what felt like less than 100w for the first 8 miles. Once we hit a headwind, the pace got stepped up as I tried to stay behind someone. I got pushed out a couple of times, and it was very hard to get back into the draft once you were on the outside. I guess people don't like to open the draft for others, but I did a couple of times through the race.

There was a pretty good uphill section, about 6% for 6 tenths of a mile. On the first lap (of 2) they took a pretty good pace up it, about 310w according to strava, and held that for about 3 minutes. It was pretty easy so I was able to keep up. We finished on a slight down hill, on the first lap I was worried about running out of gears but I didn't then.
Second lap comes around and I still feel really good, I tried my best to stay in the draft but was still pushed out a couple of times. I had one close call once I slightly hit the wheel of the guy ahead of me. Nothing to cry about and we all moved along. I was planning on kicking really hard on the climb to try and get ahead for the downhill. So I did, I held 400w according to strava for a little of 2 minutes and nearly burned out, but I didn't. I was about 4th after that and everyone around me looked pretty exhausted.
I got into 3rd on the down hill, and drafted a big dude so I recovered a lot. We were going really fast as the finish was getting close, I looked at my gears as was already in my hardest legal, 50-14. I sprinted towards the finish line in sight and started to lead. I was in first about 100 yards away, but my gears were not hard enough. I hit 45mph according to strava, and my legs got toasted at 165 cadence or so. As I ran out of gears others passed me, and I kicked slightly too soon. Others got around me and I finished 8th about 2 seconds behind first. I was very happy with my performance, but I wonder what I would of placed with 50-11 gears. According to strava over the last mile, I held 497w for about 1 minutes 25 seconds.
This was on my phone, so try to ignore the errors if there are any.

Way to go, Bunny!!! Three thumbs up.

Haha, you can't go by Strava for power. I'm sorry to say you need a power meter. Time to get a paper route, I guess.
Old 01-24-15, 08:20 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Way to go, Bunny!!! Three thumbs up.

Haha, you can't go by Strava for power. I'm sorry to say you need a power meter. Time to get a paper route, I guess.
Yes I know it's not right, but it is always relative since it uses the same formula. I know 200w according to strava is cruising for me, 300w might be climbing power for less than 10 minutes, and above is over threshold. But thanks for the support

Originally Posted by LAJ
Great report, @Bunyanderman. Have fun? Learn anything?
Thanks! Yes to both, learned a lot and enjoyed every bit of it. Most of the other cyclist were pretty smug, quite different group than I expected. Maybe because teams have rivalries, I don't really know. I learned that people love to cuss out the guys who cross the double yellow haha.
Old 01-24-15, 08:31 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Yes I know it's not right, but it is always relative since it uses the same formula. I know 200w according to strava is cruising for me, 300w might be climbing power for less than 10 minutes, and above is over threshold. But thanks for the support

Thanks! Yes to both, learned a lot and enjoyed every bit of it. Most of the other cyclist were pretty smug, quite different group than I expected. Maybe because teams have rivalries, I don't really know. I learned that people love to cuss out the guys who cross the double yellow haha.

Well, like I said, three thumbs up. You have to be very happy with it.
Old 01-24-15, 09:17 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26455 Post(s)
Liked 10,411 Times in 7,229 Posts
Well, like I said, three thumbs up. You have to be very happy with it.
...do people ever make fun of your third thumb ?
Old 01-24-15, 09:26 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
I deploy my third thumb on only very rare & special occasions such a people placing well in their first ever bicycle race. To my knowledge, none of my thumbs have ever been mocked. But sometimes I don't notice things like that quite honestly. Who the F cares what other people think of your thumbs of all things?
Old 01-24-15, 09:35 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The Les Paul through the Carvin Nomad is the Grail. Best tone of any electric guitar I've played or owned over 30 years. Played it for 4 hours today. Couldn't put it down.

Old 01-24-15, 09:44 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12829 Post(s)
Liked 7,756 Times in 4,114 Posts
Thanks! Yes to both, learned a lot and enjoyed every bit of it. Most of the other cyclist were pretty smug, quite different group than I expected.
Arrogant roadies.
Old 01-24-15, 09:50 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13730 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
I deploy my third thumb on only very rare & special occasions such a people placing well in their first ever bicycle race. To my knowledge, none of my thumbs have ever been mocked. But sometimes I don't notice things like that quite honestly. Who the F cares what other people think of your thumbs of all things?
I only use my third thumb for emergencies.
Old 01-24-15, 09:52 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13730 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The Les Paul through the Carvin Nomad is the Grail. Best tone of any electric guitar I've played or owned over 30 years. Played it for 4 hours today. Couldn't put it down.

What's in the tote bag?
Old 01-24-15, 09:54 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11415 Post(s)
Liked 4,788 Times in 2,781 Posts
The bench looks better with a bike in front of, though the guitar is nice.
Old 01-24-15, 10:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by rjones28
What's in the tote bag?
Color chart for something. Fingernail polish? Jelly Bellies?
Old 01-24-15, 10:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Maybe Pcad's gonna give one of his bikes a proper paint job!

Old 01-24-15, 10:16 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree!!! Thumbs up Buny.
Old 01-24-15, 11:46 PM
3alarmer

Who the F cares what other people think of your thumbs of all things?
...I guess I'm still wounded by my old man telling me I was all thumbs in the early days of fixing stuff. Not that he was all that good at it. #thumbs_survivor
Old 01-24-15, 11:47 PM
3alarmer

...pretty good for your first ever race, kid. Maybe you're a contender.
Old 01-25-15, 07:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22629 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad

Do you sit on "The Bench" when you play?
Old 01-25-15, 07:36 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
woah..bunny was writing about his first race?

hey, old racers! what's it like to work your ass off and still not beat a young talent?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-25-15, 07:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10979 Post(s)
Liked 4,645 Times in 2,133 Posts
Bunny, racers can be some of the biggest dicks around. I know that I was. Stay a nice kid and don't become an a-hole. It's hard to learn the right amount of aggression to win without becoming a monster.

Again, congrats on the race. You done good.

Old 01-25-15, 07:40 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Bunny, racers can be some of the biggest dicks around. I know that I was. Stay a nice kid and don't become an a-hole. It's hard to learn the right amount of aggression to win without becoming a monster.

Again, congrats on the race. You done good.
ignore this. nice guys never win. get mean.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-25-15, 07:44 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Ok, all caught up. Mercy, please. There is a place in France on the Mediterranean Sea called Cape D'Ange that is a completely nude town, beach, where people are nude on the beach, in the market, on the street, in the cars, at the restaurants, in the clubs. Too cool.
ewwwwwwww......

I go to the hot spring spas here and it is full of wrinkly old men, tackle out. But I like it.

Old 01-25-15, 07:45 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11415 Post(s)
Liked 4,788 Times in 2,781 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
woah..bunny was writing about his first race?

hey, old racers! what's it like to work your ass off and still not beat a young talent?
Going out and giving it a go is far better than sitting on the balcony and getting fat, whilst lobbing ****balls from afar!
Old 01-25-15, 07:45 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd be smug also if I were 6'3" 135..
Old 01-25-15, 07:47 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Going out and giving it a go is far better than sitting on the balcony and getting fat, whilst lobbing ****balls from afar!
damn the word censor. what balls?

Old 01-25-15, 07:48 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LAJ
I resemble that comment....

Along with Pcuddles, BillyD....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.