Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Clueless, stupid, selfish cyclists who (nearly?) ruin your day

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Clueless, stupid, selfish cyclists who (nearly?) ruin your day

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 10:00 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think some folks need to get their butts out on the road, where the bikes want to be so they can run free.
Getting upset in a MUP in a park, pointless., joggers dog walkers, kids, soccer games, etc etc. Don't ride fast, so slow in fact that you can take a ball to the head, or a frisbee, or a dog leash across the wheel etc.

Go hard with the cars instead.
Old 08-21-08, 10:16 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser
Yeah, but those empanadas sure taste good when I'm on the return leg of a weekend ride up to Nyack.
I dunno...I'd rather duck inland to Gray's Papaya.

Or come to think of it, just keep going off the bridge, and hang a right on Fort Washington. There's a Papaya Dog at 177th.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538

Last edited by noteon; 08-21-08 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 11:58 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think some of you are missing the point or I'm a bad storyteller. The ball went literally under my wheel, i.e. between my bike and the pavement. I would have hit asphalt, hard, if not for decent bike handling skills. I'm not sure how going fast or slow makes much of a difference (I had a pal break and arm in a 2mph crash) but FTR, I was going fairly slowly as I was cooling down for the last bit home and had slowed to initially avoid the ball.

As for taking it up with the soccer players... you must be kidding me. Maybe that works in some fantasy world but they're not gonna give a bleep in this world. These are the same people who let their toddlers run free in and across the path when cyclists whiz by on a regular basis.

One other thing I found amusing. Someone posted about "an athletic field". This isn't an athletic field we're talking about. It's a cracked, bumpy strip of asphalt alongside the MUP. The only grass there is what grows in the cracks.

Anyhow, somebody explain to me again what's wrong with getting PO'd about some careless moron almost taking me out on my ride? It's not like I went after the guy or insulted his mother. If you don't like the post, move on the next thread, put me on your ignore list, whatever works.
Old 08-21-08, 12:10 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
I think some of you are missing the point or I'm a bad storyteller.
Didn't you get the memo? It's your turn to get F'd with for starting a thread. Shirker.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-21-08, 12:17 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Didn't you get the memo? It's your turn to get F'd with for starting a thread. Shirker.
It's been so long I forgot how it feels.

(<-- faux cries)
Old 08-21-08, 12:18 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of you *******s are nastier and meaner than OG or the mindless dude that kicked a ball between his wheels. But oh yeah, this is the internet where you're all Chuck ****in' Norris PC safety nazis. Except for Chip and Bubbles. You guys actually are Chuck ****in' Norris. Yo Bubbles, let's go eat gyros next time I'm around your way.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 08-21-08, 12:34 PM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing I found amusing. Someone posted about "an athletic field". This isn't an athletic field we're talking about. It's a cracked, bumpy strip of asphalt alongside the MUP. The only grass there is what grows in the cracks.

Anyhow, somebody explain to me again what's wrong with getting PO'd about some careless moron almost taking me out on my ride? It's not like I went after the guy or insulted his mother. If you don't like the post, move on the next thread, put me on your ignore list, whatever works.
I think I see the disconnect here. What do you think the M and the U in MUP stand for? I'm guessing something other than the rest of us think they stand for.......

As far as "don't like the post, move on" LOL - what do you expect, only people who agree with you to post?
Old 08-21-08, 12:40 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is BF. No matter what you do someone is going to get their panties in a bunch and get all pissy over what you have done no matter how innocuous it was.
Old 08-21-08, 12:44 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Some of you *******s are nastier and meaner than OG or the mindless dude that kicked a ball between his wheels. But oh yeah, this is the internet where you're all Chuck ****in' Norris PC safety nazis. Except for Chip and Bubbles. You guys actually are Chuck ****in' Norris. Yo Bubbles, let's go eat gyros next time I'm around your way.
Chuck ****in' Norris is a wussy. Batman would kick his ass.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-21-08, 12:45 PM
red_hook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe that works in some fantasy world but they're not gonna give a bleep in this world. These are the same people who let their toddlers run free in and across the path when cyclists whiz by on a regular basis.
I don't think the guy you yelled at really gives a bleep either. He probably just thinks you're another loud-mouthed *****hole who thinks the world should get out of his way. Maybe I'm just putting myself in his shoes and he's actually sitting at home feeling really bad about the whole thing. Somehow I doubt it.

I thought I was clear when I said I didn't think you'd mouth off to the Dominicans even though they're the actual and more constant hazard. I must live in a fantasy world where people get sarcasm.

Anyhow, somebody explain to me again what's wrong with getting PO'd about some careless moron almost taking me out on my ride?
I'm not above getting annoyed at the dozens of people I need to avoid colliding with everyday while I'm on the same bike path, I just don't start shouting obscenities at them. Its called road rage… maybe you could do a search for it.

If you don't like the post, move on the next thread, put me on your ignore list, whatever works.
I've got nothing against the post… I just don't like your attitude. I suppose I could restrict my responses to people I agree with (you go OG, you tell 'im) but when I think someone is out of line I don't mind telling them so, especially when all of those nice people standing around watching are going to associate me with you. Think of it as a friendly gesture on my part.
Old 08-21-08, 12:45 PM
megarot
this side up

Bikes: Nothing.. last bike stolen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikesdca
Stop being such a whiny prick. An honest mistake. I`m sure the guy didn`t set out that morning to cause you to fall. Some people will find anything to complain about. Grow up. Get off the MUP.
Hahaha +1

Thank God for those skills of yours! The only reason I've continued to read this thread (and not put you on ignore) is how much enjoyment I've got from reading comments like mikes.
Old 08-21-08, 12:51 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jyossarian with a red star no less. Yea man Gyros next time, but we'll have it hit up a different Greek place next time. Lock in the garage here at work or we'll simply ride. Too bad I didn't work from home I found a killer place up the hill from the house. When you in town next?
Old 08-21-08, 01:11 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Anyhow, somebody explain to me again what's wrong with getting PO'd about some careless moron almost taking me out on my ride?
It's not Christlike.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 08-21-08, 01:14 PM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
BroadSTPhilly,

You should read some threads about the MUPS in the Philly area in the other subforums, there are probably people talking about you in very non-flattering terms... Philly area MUPS are notorious for fast riders making it a miserable place for casual riders to ride. Fast riders belong on the roads. That's where I ride when I want to ride fast (fast for me anyway).
I don't see how I make it miserable for casual riders. I whip past them but I generally give them at least three or four feet and I pretty much always brake if there is somebody coming the other direction. So I would say that they make my life more miserable than I make theirs.
Old 08-21-08, 01:18 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
jyossarian with a red star no less. Yea man Gyros next time, but we'll have it hit up a different Greek place next time. Lock in the garage here at work or we'll simply ride. Too bad I didn't work from home I found a killer place up the hill from the house. When you in town next?
Next week probably. I'll holla at you when I get up there.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 08-21-08, 01:40 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MUPs and fast don't mix for me, no matter what the hour there's always someone out there.
Woot, holla! I'll PM you the office number.
Old 08-21-08, 02:57 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
It's not Christlike.
Nonsense. I turned the other cheek. Butt cheek, that is, as I rode away instead of at him.

Originally Posted by red_hook
I don't think the guy you yelled at really gives a bleep either. He probably just thinks you're another loud-mouthed *****hole who thinks the world should get out of his way. Maybe I'm just putting myself in his shoes and he's actually sitting at home feeling really bad about the whole thing. Somehow I doubt it.

I thought I was clear when I said I didn't think you'd mouth off to the Dominicans even though they're the actual and more constant hazard. I must live in a fantasy world where people get sarcasm.
It's hard to see sarcasm through all the rancor.

I'm not above getting annoyed at the dozens of people I need to avoid colliding with everyday while I'm on the same bike path, I just don't start shouting obscenities at them. Its called road rage… maybe you could do a search for it.
You can call it what you wish. I have to wonder how you'd react if someone nearly took you down for no reason. Blow him a kiss?

I've got nothing against the post… I just don't like your attitude. I suppose I could restrict my responses to people I agree with (you go OG, you tell 'im) but when I think someone is out of line I don't mind telling them so, especially when all of those nice people standing around watching are going to associate me with you. Think of it as a friendly gesture on my part.
Huh?
Old 08-21-08, 10:39 PM
wgaynor

Bikes: Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have y'all who are saying it's "just an accident" ever crashed because of "just an accident"? Seriously, I don't want another sprained elbow that still hurts three years later because of "just an accident". I don't want to not be able to hold my 3 month old son because of a broken collarbone. Need I go on? Sorry folks, the ****** on the bike going the other way put me in harm's way because of some clueless, stupid, selfish behavior so my rant is perfectly acceptable.
Maybe I'm out of line, but I do work for a non profit organization that rehabilitates the developmentally disabled and really don't appreciate the thoughtless manner in which you use the term ******. No intentions of flaming intended, just hoping that in this instance, we can show some compassion for people with that disability and refrain from using that word so flippantly. Just call the idiots for who they are...idiots
Old 08-21-08, 11:28 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think if the soccer ball hits you then you legally get to keep the ball. This includes all ball sports: baseball, bowling, football, footie, rugby, tennis, golf, volley, four square, tether, dodge, etc. It's derived from old English common law where if an apple falls off your tree and lands in a neighbor's yard he is considered the legal owner of that apple, even though the tree is in your yard.
Old 08-21-08, 11:40 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and also... I hope you weren't running Kenda Kwests on you bike oboeguy, cause if you ever hit a soccer ball dead center on those things, it'll schread your tires. We try to avoid them around here. Christ, I once had to take a short cut through one of those McDonalds playlands... dam, it was like taking a bath with piranhas. Usually that's not a problem is you get the set up right. Anyways, after that I always carry a styptic pen in my repair kit.
Old 08-22-08, 02:17 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An example from yesterday's ride home... I'm tooling along the Hudson Greenway, starting to cool down as I'm less than a mile and a half from home. There's a soccer game going on at 2 o'clock so I slow down a bit to avoid an errant soccer ball (beat-up indoor model, judging by the size). The ball crosses my path at a pretty steep angle, say, from five o'clock or so as I'm passing the game. No problem, right? Happens all the time.

Today was different. Some stupid MFer riding the other way, obviously very pleased with himself given the @#$%-eating grin on his face, slows/stops him own bike enough to trap and kick back the ball which has nearly stopped rolling. Problem is, he somehow doesn't realize I'm there... and kicks the ball directly under my front wheel as I'm now directly between the ball and the game. I don't know how I didn't go down, but a profanity-laced tirade from me receive a meek "sorry" in return and, the @#$%ers, giggles from the soccer players.

<sigh>

Your stories?
And that is an excellent example of the single biggest safety issue cyclists face; people not paying attention to what is going on in their immediate surroundings.
Old 08-22-08, 06:19 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
And that is an excellent example of the single biggest safety issue cyclists face; people not paying attention to what is going on in their immediate surroundings.
I think you have it in a nutshell
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-22-08, 07:39 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgaynor
Maybe I'm out of line, but I do work for a non profit organization that rehabilitates the developmentally disabled and really don't appreciate the thoughtless manner in which you use the term ******. No intentions of flaming intended, just hoping that in this instance, we can show some compassion for people with that disability and refrain from using that word so flippantly. Just call the idiots for who they are...idiots
Ah, fine, if you prefer. "Idiot", "moron" etc used to have similar connotations so it's really a pointless semantic exercise, IMO. You're right, though: I shouldn't imply that someone who's been given a disability in this life is the same as a jerk who doesn't pay attention. I'll edit my post.
Old 08-22-08, 09:57 AM
HammeredAgain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry, I was TRYING to kick it the other way!
Old 08-22-08, 08:27 PM
urban rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This evening while pulling a trailer of dirty clothes I became aware that someone on a bike was riding behind me. I pulled over at a parking lot to allow the other person to ride in front of me. I figured I was a slower rider and I did not want to slow him down. For some strange reason this fool turns around and goes back where he came from. Anyway I continue to the laundrymat. I see a person walking in front of me I announce myself and I slow down. The cycling fool comes up behind me and turns his bike suddenly running over parking blocks nearly harming himself. What was he thinking?