Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Progress Report On My Barecci (with pics!)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 08:44 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Just thought I'd give an update on how my first frame build-up is progressing.

I picked-up this 1990' ish made-in-Spain, BH Fabio Barreci frame last month and have been slowly getting her all together. The frame has never been built-up, it's made of Columbus Aelle steel and has internal cabling. The paint is pretty wild and looks great besides a couple obligatory chips. It has been really tough to find out much about this frame, as I've only seen 2 other ones and only in Spain. This could be one of only a handful here in the States. And please, oh please, does anyone know who in the heck Fabio Barreci was/is? Great artisan, struggling frame-builder, a bum maybe? I cannot find a darn thing about him anywhere!!!

Anyway, I decided to go with an all-Campy gruppo, 9 speed, mostly Veloce/Centaur, but with a Record headset. Record bits in general were just to expensive to justify for this build though. The Campy bits really are beautiful to look at, and if they work as well as they look, it should make for quite a nice ride. The bars are a modern compact style by Cinelli and are attached to a really pretty Modolo X stem. Seat post is a Gipiemme with a made-in-Italy Brooks saddle. (Yeah, that one baffles me too!)

The wheels are Mavic Reflex with Veloce hubs. They weren't easy to find, but I wanted to stay with silver Campy hubs to match the other components. They arrived in filthy condition, and I was nervous they wouldn't clean-up, but as you can see, after alot of elbow grease, they look just about new again. I'll be mounting yellow wall tires on them to match the yellow frame accents, as well as yellow cables and bar tape to.

Thanks for looking - all comments and info welcome!

And here is the signature of the great master frame builder himself - Fabio Barreci!

Old 09-05-12, 02:33 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
I think I have seen a bike by the same builder,

I have also an unusial one,
mine is a masini migani, have seen only 2 other pics-yes its rare, but so is a painting by my daughter!
i think you should look very carefully at this thread!
https://www.cicloturismocordoba.com/senda.htm

here is something to feed you

https://www.anuncio.net/anuncio/bicic...bab8a4376.html

https://www.mpmarques.pt/produtos/bicicletas/

Last edited by puchfinnland; 09-05-12 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 02:33 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like she shines up nicely. Now put on some tires and get some miles on it!
Old 09-05-12, 02:47 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by puchfinnland
I think I have seen a bike by the same builder,

I have also an unusial one,
mine is a masini migani, have seen only 2 other pics-yes its rare, but so is a painting by my daughter!
Thanks for the thread save!

Yeah, it's a scarce one for sure, but I sure didn't mean to imply that this frame is so rare as to be of tremendous value. It's probably scarce because it just never caught on and neither did it's builder Fabio. Wish I knew something about that guy! One of the other two I saw had a SLX frame, which surprised me, and I have to say, this one does have some nice features on it and pretty cool paint, if loud is your thing!

Lets see some pics of that Masini Migani. Maybe we could start a new thread on "rare, but not valuable, bikes".

And yes tires are on the way Savagewolf!
Old 09-05-12, 02:54 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Thanks for the thread save!

Yeah, it's a scarce one for sure, but I sure didn't mean to imply that this frame is so rare as to be of tremendous value. It's probably scarce because it just never caught on and neither did it's builder Fabio. Wish I knew something about that guy! One of the other two I saw had a SLX frame, which surprised me, and I have to say, this one does have some nice features on it and pretty cool paint, if loud is your thing!

Lets see some pics of that Masini Migani. Maybe we could start a new thread on "rare, but not valuable, bikes".

And yes tires are on the way Savagewolf!
rare and not valuable!

wow we could fill several pages!
I posted another 2 links above-please check again.

my other rare worthless bike is a cardenelli,cardinalli-something like that
cheap frame headtube was one piece with fake lugs,lugged frame, stamped steel drops,campy valentino
it is and was my first bike when i was 13-30 years ago.

it was white with foil decals before i repainted it and upgraded all the components but the deraileurs
I would love to see any pictures of the same bike
Old 09-05-12, 03:04 PM
Giacomo 1 

rare and not valuable!

wow we could fill several pages!
I posted another 2 links above-please check again.
Yeah, those are the two bikes I mentioned having seen. A search of Barreci bikes always brings those two up, but that's pretty much all. None in America, just Spain. I do know through research, that Barreci was a BH Cycle line back in the 80's/90's. A search of "Fabio Barecci" also brings them up, and nothing of who the man himself is. Oh well, the research continues!

Cardinalli at least sounds high end and exotic!
Old 09-05-12, 03:14 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

no just italian-there is plenty of junk in italy also!

I sent a link about a cyclist who is riding one-he would be able to answer your question!

Old 09-05-12, 03:27 PM
Giacomo 1 

no just italian-there is plenty of junk in italy also!

I sent a link about a cyclist who is riding one-he would be able to answer your question!

Wow, that link is fantastic!

An identical Barecci in action on the road to Compastello no less! Thank you for that one. I'll have to go through that when I have more time! I owe you one for that puchfinnland!
Old 09-05-12, 03:48 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,141 Times in 558 Posts
Cool frame & nice progress on the build. Never heard of Barecci before. I enjoy learning about obscure builders, so thanks for sharing. Seems like a well-built frame. The internal routing, (engraved?) fork crown, and lug windows are nice touches. The paint job is nice, though perhaps too flashy for my tastes (though I do have a bike with neon pink fade & blue splatters ). Reminds me of some early 90s Colnagos. Do you have any additional close-ups of the frame details (head tube lugs, head badge, BB shell, dropouts, fork crown, brake bridge)?

Btw, the thread title has an incorrect spelling for Barecci. Maybe the vast throngs of Barecci owners are simply thrown off by your "Barreci" thread. Perhaps a moderator can fix it for you.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 09-05-12, 04:16 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Cool frame & nice progress on the build. Never heard of Barecci before. I enjoy learning about obscure builders, so thanks for sharing. Seems like a well-built frame. The internal routing, (engraved?) fork crown, and lug windows are nice touches. The paint job is nice, though perhaps too flashy for my tastes (though I do have a bike with neon pink fade & blue splatters ). Reminds me of some early 90s Colnagos. Do you have any additional close-ups of the frame details (head tube lugs, head badge, BB shell, dropouts, fork crown, brake bridge)?
Thanks. Yeah, the frame does appear well built to me also. It has some nice touches, as you mentioned, and it also has two braze-on's for the shifter cables on the head tube that I didn't get in the pictures. Yes, the paint is a bit loud, but it seems to work pretty well, and with the yellow walled tires, yellow tape and cables...well it will be an eyeful!

I'll try and get close-ups soon.

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Btw, the thread title has an incorrect spelling for Barecci. Maybe the vast throngs of Barecci owners are simply thrown off by your "Barreci" thread. Perhaps a moderator can fix it for you.
I cannot believe I did that! Doh! I've been looking at this frame nearly everyday for a month, you think I would get it right! Yes, mods if you can fix it, thanks!
Old 09-06-12, 02:19 PM
Giacomo 1 

Found this pic of my Barecci hanging with some good company at Mellow Johnny's in Austin before I bought it. The shop apparently came into a bunch of steel frames from a warehouse in Italy, and mine was among them. Nice shot -