Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Check your nuts and bolts, a public service announcement. !

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 11:52 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

My wife came home the other day and handed me a 4-ish inch long bolt. "What's that?" I inquired. It was the bolt that holds on the wheel saddle. It had backed all the way out. And luck would have it she noticed it while he was loading her bike so it didn't get lost. This prompted me to go get a new tube of lock-tite, and put some on before I put it back together. Then I decided to check the rest of the nuts and bolts. While none where 'finger' loose, about half required very little effort to remove them with a wrench. Those also got a drop of lock-tite.

My advice, check yours before you lose a bike, or worse!
Likes For leob1:
Old 06-14-21, 11:56 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,973 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
My wife came home the other day and handed me a 4-ish inch long bolt. "What's that?" I inquired. It was the bolt that holds on the wheel saddle. It had backed all the way out. And luck would have it she noticed it while he was loading her bike so it didn't get lost. This prompted me to go get a new tube of lock-tite, and put some on before I put it back together. Then I decided to check the rest of the nuts and bolts. While none where 'finger' loose, about half required very little effort to remove them with a wrench. Those also got a drop of lock-tite.

oh boy, that'll trigger some opinions.

Good catch & luck too!
Old 06-14-21, 12:04 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What is a "wheel saddle?"
Old 06-14-21, 02:18 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1

The what?
And Loctite should not be used everywhere, in fact very few places. Grease. Grease. Grease...and proper torque.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-14-21, 02:46 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
What is a "wheel saddle?"
I think he's describing the part of a hitch rack that the bike's wheels sit in when its being carried.
Old 06-14-21, 03:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I really haven’t had an issue with any bolts coming loose that are in one of our bikes.

I would agree with checking a bike rack. I imagine that people check their bike racks with much less frequency than their bikes; which in some cases might be a number of years.

John
Old 06-14-21, 03:38 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The what?
And Loctite should not be used everywhere, in fact very few places. Grease. Grease. Grease...and proper torque.
^^This is wise.^^ I have 18 bikes of my own and 6 for the kids/grandkids when they visit and just don't have a problem with grease and torquing. If you do use Locktite use the blue-242, it will come apart with common hand tools, if a very small hex head you might want to touch it with a soldering iron to heat to be sure it releases w/o stripping the hex.
Old 06-14-21, 03:58 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
We may be missing the point. There's a good chance the OP is talking about his bike carrying rig and not the bike itself. That way, "wheel saddle" makes sense
Old 06-14-21, 04:17 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yes, anything that has fasteners on a bicycle should be checked periodically for proper torque. The torque requirements vary quite a bit, for example maybe 5 or 6nm for some handlebar clamps, to 35 or 45nm for some crank arm bolts. Torque values can be found printed on many parts that are of better quality but such parts are rarely found on lower priced bikes. Checking the torque on all critical fasteners and components of a bicycle should be performed during a routine annual tune-up. Few fasteners require Loc-tite but some do and others require lubrication. If one is unsure of proper torque or what type of lubricant to use (or how much of it) a tune-up is best left to an experienced bicycle mechanic.
Old 06-14-21, 04:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
thanks for the reminder, tho I've already been told I have a screw loose somewhere. sorry, couldn't resist
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-14-21, 04:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
I watched one guy recommending super glue instead of locktite.
Old 06-14-21, 07:45 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
We may be missing the point. There's a good chance the OP is talking about his bike carrying rig and not the bike itself. That way, "wheel saddle" makes sense
Ya, now I get it. I never occured to me to put bikes on a rack and transport them.... I get on and ride right from home. Yakima calls it a "wheel tray" ...
Thule calls it a "wheel holder"... so my question... what is a "wheel saddle"
I am not a mind reader.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-14-21, 09:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Proper torque and grease or anti-seize does wonders. I don't really get a lot of loose bolts and I rarely use thread locking compounds. Not to say they don't have their usage but using instead of a place most people and companies would recommend grease or anti seize and proper torque is kind of silly.
Old 06-14-21, 10:48 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
so my question... what is a "wheel saddle"
I am not a mind reader.
Just guessing here, but maybe something like a short section of channel. Hope the OP jumps in here
Old 06-15-21, 06:51 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Just guessing here, but maybe something like a short section of channel. Hope the OP jumps in here
I wouldn't waste any more time trying to figure it out. The OP seems to have ditched this thread already.
Old 06-15-21, 08:42 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear it on the bike rack, a Kuat Sherpa.
Kuat calls it a cradle, you manufacturer name may vary.