Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Time to break out the Platinum Card

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Time to break out the Platinum Card

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 10:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked 7,566 Times in 4,221 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Blah blah blah
I respond to another poster with some justification, based on observation, for why a thread might not be moved out of General.
You claim I am complaining.
I clarify that I didn't complain, the other poster seemed to complain, and that I was simply providing some justification to the discussion.
You respond with 'blah blah blah'.

Again, I don't mind having threads in General that could/should be categorized elsewhere. If nobody visits the mtb forum, it's pretty worthless to start a thread there so I can understand why it is posted in General. And since General is the first forum listed in an otherwise alphabetically categorized list, I can see why it gets a lot of threads that bleed into the topic of other forums.
I am not complaining here, only observing.

Best of luck on your Google search to understand the difference.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-14-24, 11:47 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Many people forget that that 25-km (short) time trial was largely downhill, with a tailwind along much of the course. And, more importantly, that Lemond was using Scott aero bars (and was the first to use aero bars in the Tour).

For Lemond skeptics, here's a pretty good refutation of the claim that Lemond had to have been using dope to win that time trial.

Thanks for your post, by the way. Without it, I might never have found that GCN video.
I also believe that Fignon was suffering a significant saddle sore towards the end of that Tour
This article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...on-greg-lemond

Last edited by alcjphil; 04-14-24 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-14-24, 12:31 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I wonder how much faster these guys would go if only they ran tubulars & paid attention to grams instead like true professional racers.
  1. Flat race with a 60k breakaway at the end, so unlike 90%+ of world tour races: aero really matters.
  2. Hard tailwind.
  3. The race was intense fast right from the start.
  4. MVP: a generational talent.
Anyone here looking for validation for your new bike purchase? Check out the manufacturer websites and promotional material, and the fawning (bought and paid for) mainstream bike media.
Old 04-14-24, 03:20 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Anyone here looking for validation for your new bike purchase? Check out the manufacturer websites and promotional material, and the fawning (bought and paid for) mainstream bike media.
Accusatory question?
Ok, I'll bite.

No validation on a new bike purchase needed. You do understand I am a weight-weenie from the word: "Go," right? Even my 8 year old Cervelo is under 14lbs. It's the only carbon bike I own. The competing custom steel bike is currently 16lbs, 3 oz with fresh sealant.

But, here's the thing, weight doesn't matter. This thing with the IGH is 35lbs. Wide tubeless high quality tires still let me do 50 miles at 16.9 average today with stellar ride quality. The Cervelo at ⅖ the weight is unlikely to be any different, even if I applied myself or borrowed from tomorrow's stamina reserves. 180 Watts is 180 watts no matter how you slice it.

None of my bikes (aside from the Cervelo) are even acknowledged by the "mainstream bike media"...Whatever that is.

Maybe the Pros are on to something, Dave?

Last edited by base2; 04-14-24 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 04:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked 4,952 Times in 3,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Flat race with a 60k breakaway at the end, so unlike 90%+ of world tour races: aero really matters.
You should take note of his tyre choice for this race. 32c Vittoria Corsa Pro tubeless at 52 psi. If only he had your experience he could have been so much quicker on high pressure tubulars.