Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What are the chances?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What are the chances?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 04:43 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
What are the chances?

So…..I recently cleaned greased upgraded my 1975 Motobecane Grand Record. As part of the ‘upgrading’ I scored an amazing condition set of wheels on ebay…..Campagnolo Nuovo Record large flange hubs dating to 1973 with double butted spokes and with Mavic Super Champion Criterium alloy rims. Tires were Challenge Criterium Seta Extra 22mm sew-ups with essentially no wear but a bit dry rotted. When the bike refurbishing was completed I pumped up the tires to 110psi and went for a spin. Lovely, absolutely lovely ride quality! I am the original owner of the bike and so I was pretty much used to the feel of the bike on the road. It felt different, and better, I am guessing because of the wheels and silk cased tires. I had always ridden the bike with cotton cased sew-ups. I actually did not know the tires were silk cased (so much for my ignorance of the Italian language and the word ‘Seta’ that is plainly visible on the tire sidewalls) until after the front tire lost air after the third ride and I was looking for a replacement. So imagine my pleasant surprise finding an NOS Challenge Criterium Seta Extra 22mm tire on ebay!!! Out of curiosity I asked the seller if he knew the date of manufacture…..he did not. Oh well, I purchased the tire anyway. Lo and behold the new tire was manufactured on the same day as the old tire, 04 April 2008!!!!! (yes it’s a little hard to see in the pic) Looking forward to that silky smooth ride again once I get the new tire glued on….