Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hydration as we get older

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hydration as we get older

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-23, 12:01 PM
vuduchyld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm lurking on this thread. Just saying hello!

I'm 55 and I've noticed this year more than ever before that I can't really use my propensity to sweat as a gauge to how much I should be drinking. It hasn't really been hot in Kansas yet, so even on longer rides, I don't sweat through my shirt. On hot, hot days, I'm sure I will, but so far this year on my rides, it seems like the sweat is drying off me in the wind. I'll ride for an hour, not notice a drop of sweat on me, and realize, wow, I am thirsty and need to drink!
Old 05-24-23, 03:56 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When my enlarged prostrate was impinging on my ability to empty my bladder I was cautious as to how much water I would drink. After Greenlight laser surgery I can fully empty my bladder and find myself drinking a great deal more water throughout the day. I gave blood a few weeks ago and the tech said my blood as flowing very well and he ascribed that to my being well hydrated.

A key problem with being dehydrated is that your blood thickens and is less effective in supporting your organs. Waiting to be thirsty before drinking more water is ill advised. I drink 10 oz of water before I start a ride so I have enough fluids to be able to sweat.