Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upright and recumbent tandem?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 02:16 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

https://www.hasebikes.com/150-1-tandem-pino-tour.html

Anyone ever see or ride one of these?

Looks like a rear captain.
Old 06-01-09, 02:20 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More in this flash presentation.
https://www.hasebikes.com/56-1-pino-fast-flash.html

This really looks cool.
Old 06-01-09, 02:38 PM
bikinggrrrl

Bikes: old Merlin, Santana Beyond, & a mommy bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen one around where I live. Looks like a great way to compromise between two very different riders who want to share the same passion and spend time together.
I haven't had a good long look at it, though. Always flying in other direction it seems.
Old 06-02-09, 08:16 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
I have the less expensive Taiwanese version:

My wife and I put about 500 miles on it annually.
Old 06-02-09, 09:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The first bikes of that design I'd seen were called "Counterpoint". I think that the company went out of business and sold the design rights.

The original was interesting in that the stoker, who was the front rider, had their own derailleur and freewheel. Consequently they could choose their own cadence or even coast independantly of the captain.
Old 06-02-09, 09:48 AM
swc7916

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The first bikes of that design I'd seen were called "Counterpoint". I think that the company went out of business and sold the design rights.

The original was interesting in that the stoker, who was the front rider, had their own derailleur and freewheel. Consequently they could choose their own cadence or even coast independantly of the captain.
The Counterpoint is now the Bilenky Viewpoint: https://bilenky.com/viewpoint_main_page.html
Old 06-02-09, 01:23 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Did some test riding on a Counterpoint 20+ years ago. Rode it both as stoker and as pilot.
Stoker (up front) had an uninterrupted view of what's up ahead, a nice 'lounge type' position and her own shifting for independent cadence. Stoker's riding position allowed for some hard pushing on pedals by leaning back into the seatback. Tandem was easily used to do some shopping (minus the stoker) and just putting the stuff on the recumbent seat and tie it down with a bungee cord. Stoker also acted a a 'bug windshield' compared to standard stoker position.
Pilot sat upright, like on a mt. bike, and could whisper 'sweet nothings' into stoker's ear very easily. Rear rider had own freewheel/cassette and controilled the triple chainring shifting.
Bike was a bit on the hefty side and ran some typically long/convoluted chains.
The Hase Pino was made from of titanium that weighed around 30 lbs and price was in the $9,000+ range.
Have never ridden/seen the Taiwanese version.
Just our input.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pino tandem.jpg (50.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-02-09, 01:52 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

The Hase Pino and Bilenky Viewpoint are both upward of $4-5000, I test rode each prior to purchasing the Taiwanese version. They are both great bikes, independent pedaling action between the stoker and captn is nice feature, but at significant weight/price penalty. The Bilenky Viewpoint not only heavier, but also seems to be longer overall, more difficult to transport.
The Taiwanese version of semi-recumbent tandem cost about 1/3 of the money and shipped directly to my driveway. It is not meant for long distance, self-supported/heavy load/extended touring, but for cherity rides (60 miles) it's up to the task even without the independent pedaling action.

This is where I bought my tandem:

https://www.performer.com.tw/2009/pro...products_id=46
Old 06-02-09, 03:39 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The stoker is recumbent and the captain is upright. There is something about the looks of this. It reminds me of a guy with a bicycle delivery cart, but in this instance his wares are the recumbent stoker with her feet flying up in the air.

Amsterdam is famous for using bicycles for everything, right? I hope their establishments with windows don't learn of this, and go mobile.
Old 06-02-09, 05:49 PM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Years ago on TRIRI, a week long touring ride, a father-daughter team rode a Counterpoint. The daughter in the front recumbent position would read a book as they rode along. It was funny to see her reading as they rode.
Old 06-02-09, 09:57 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
No pedals for this stoker. Actually a Dutch tandem called the 'bakfiets' (bicycle with box).
Attached Images
bakfiets.jpg (27.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-04-09, 09:46 AM
sula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a Pino, tour with it with my wife and now two daughter (one 18 months one 11 weeks). Last year we rode across Germany, Austria, Slovenia and down to Budapest in Hungery. Bloody great machine. I have toured on DF tandems which is good but these are more stable, handel better, easier to ride as a stoker, carry a load well, etc. Just a great family touring machine. We are off next week on our fisrt tour with four not three of us. Starting with a three day loop through the Scotish Boarders.

Only down side of the machine is that the Pilot is quite up right position. Fine for the sort of family touring we do (100 - 120 KM Max days) but if you want to really kick it it might be a bit limiting.

Go bye one.
Old 06-04-09, 10:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've seen quite a few of this type tandem. I don't know - as captain they'd make me nervous. Precious cargo and all that. It we hit something, I want to hit it first. Probably a stupid reaction. Other than that, they seem very slow, but like most recumbents, it may just be that the people who choose them aren't interested in speed.
Old 06-04-09, 07:04 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

How fast any homan powered vehicle can travel is mostly depended on the rider or riders.

Aerodynamically, a semi-recumbent tandem will travel faster than a regular tandem.

Safety wise both captn and stoker have full field of vision on a semi-recumebent tandem, less likely to have two riders miss road hazzard than one rider alone able to see traffic ahead.

Besides, would you (captn on a regular tndem) rather have you head or someone's feet absorb the first impact when bad things happen?
Old 06-05-09, 11:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
<snip>
Aerodynamically, a semi-recumbent tandem will travel faster than a regular tandem.
<snip>
Maybe. I haven't seen any test data on this. If you know where there's some drag data on various tandem positions and arrangements, I know I'm interested. I think these tandems climb more slowly than regular tandems. And like I was trying to say, my observation is that for whatever reason, I've never seen one that I didn't go by on my single with a major difference in V. OTOH, it is kind of hilly where I ride.

But the only thing that really matters is "does it turn your crank?"
Old 06-05-09, 12:13 PM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Maybe. I haven't seen any test data on this. If you know where there's some drag data on various tandem positions and arrangements, I know I'm interested. I think these tandems climb more slowly than regular tandems. And like I was trying to say, my observation is that for whatever reason, I've never seen one that I didn't go by on my single with a major difference in V. OTOH, it is kind of hilly where I ride.

But the only thing that really matters is "does it turn your crank?"
I've never ridden one, but I'm told by folks that have them not to think of them as fast. However, these guys are no taller than 5 1/2 feet, while I'm 6 1/4 feet tall. I've got to believe that a recumbent would put me close to the same height as anyone else - levelling the playing field. Beyond that, it becomes a question of whether the drag coefficient is worse, and it may be that it is - at least without a fairing - since the body is in a very different position, and if you don't completely block the seat, it catches some wind too.
Old 06-09-09, 09:48 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'd be terrified of any non-standard framed tandem.

All those images of recumbent Vision tandems breaking in half still haunt me.
Old 06-11-09, 04:53 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Double Vision Recumbent tandem, hardly the same as a semi-recumbent tandem:

That single long tube is simple too weak to support two riders, when their weights add up.
Old 06-13-09, 06:11 PM
reoguy2005

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I test rode one a couple weeks ago, indoors on a 1/10 mile track. While I liked the overall feel, my wife felt very freaked out by it, made her feel like a battering ram. Since it's based on a SWB (short wheel based) recumbent, you have to lead the stoker around obstacles or corners, before you turn. I could tell really quickly that it wasn't the bike for us.

FYI, we have a Santana Sovereign right now, and are making the switch to a recumbent tandem soon.
Likes For reoguy2005:
Old 06-13-09, 06:15 PM
reoguy2005

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Forgot to mention, one of the other reasons I decided against this, is I am switching over to recumbent bikes instead of "wedgie" bikes.... depends on what you are planning to do on a tandem. My wife is not a serious biker, so our tandem rides are more "fun" rides that hardcore speed rides. I'm in process right now of ordering our new recumbent tandem, check out Longbikes Jetstream at www.Longbikes.com . Once you ride a recumbent, you will realize how much more comfortable and enjoyable your tandem ride can be!

BTW, my newest ride is a Greenspeed GTO trike; www.greenspeed.com.au .
Old 06-15-09, 04:48 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Check out what Wike is working on:

https://www.wicycle.com/

By the way Wike makes the best trailers going.

I've owned a Schwinn Joyrider, Burley D'Lite, and currently have a Chariot Cougar 2. If I had it to do over again I'd just get the Wike Softie.

Don't believe the hype, a Chariot is cheap junk, just like the Burley. Its amazing how much bike you get for around $1000 and how little trailer. The Chariot does'nt have adequate ventilation to be considered safe on anything but the coolest days.

Also if you don't have a Chariot with suspension or a Wike softie read this before riding with your kiddies (a Burley has suspension in theory only):

https://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm

It is staggering how much road vibration gets passed along, and how severe the bumps are. There is a reason its called 'Burley trailer syndrome' when children of parents that are cyclists present with symptoms that resemble 'shaken baby syndrome'.
Old 07-14-09, 12:23 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have a Counterpoint Opus II, like to ride it with my wife as stoker, and have toured with it with my daughter (10) and son (12) (not at the same time). The know the Counterpoint is a lot longer and heavier than Cat0020's Performer; we haven't had a chance to compare the two side-by-side. But the Counterpoint is a very comfortable bike, very stable, probably overbuilt. My son and I hit 46.5 mphon one nice downhill; I know, that's nothing to you tandem people, but we were pretty pleased. And my point is, the bike felt perfectly safe at that speed.

The advantage of this type of bike is (1) it allows a strong rider and a weak rider to ride together comfortably, each working (only) as hard as they wish; and (2) it is a lot of fun for the stoker and therefore fun for both (because: if Mama ain' happy, ain' nobody happy).

It works for me!
Old 07-20-09, 11:23 AM
antonyfhilliard

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My girlfriend and I are part-owners of a fire engine red Pino. It's a hell of a bike. We bought it sight unseen (the LBS wasn't going to stock one, ever) and have been totally happy with it.

You might want to read the Pino Forum (german, translated) for some more stories/tips/photos.
Old 07-20-09, 11:27 AM
antonyfhilliard

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Oh - you might also like the Globecyclers who are/were touring the world on a Pino. They made it from Germany -> Australia via Iran & Tibet, but have gone on hiatus due to pregnancy!
Attached Images
unserpino_04.jpg (84.1 KB, 60 views)
neu_umbau_lhasa_006.jpg (84.4 KB, 63 views)
2393751320_38a048509d.jpg (63.9 KB, 61 views)
pinopiste.jpg (31.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-01-10, 02:05 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Another semi-recumbent, two-wheel-drive model.

Last edited by cat0020; 07-01-10 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.