Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

World's smallest power meter attaches to valve stem and costs $129

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 12:23 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

Big if true

Introducing Arofly, ?the world?s smallest power meter? + video | road.cc

A pitot tube is a pressure measurement instrument that measures fluid flow velocity. As well as being used in aircraft (not just the F-117!), pitot tubes measure the water speed of boats, for example, and liquid, air and gas flow speeds in industrial applications.

The inventors say that once attached to the valve of the inner tube, the Arofly measures the tiny variances in air pressure to work out the power being applied by the rider. That's all we know right now. Sorry. We've asked for more info though.

The Arofly has an operating temperature of -30°C to 85°C – safely covering everything you’re likely to ride in – and it’s said to be both waterproof and dustproof.
Old 12-06-16, 12:35 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Skeptical it will be as accuarate as other PM's but for the adverage joe, might be a good bargain! This is the single reason I haven't dropped $$$ on a power meter yet, seems like every month they get cheaper and better ways to attach them to your bike..hubs -> cranks arms -> pedals -> almost shoes -> Valve stems? The technology is advancing to quick for me to shell out a grand or so, but I'm cheap as well 😆
Old 12-06-16, 12:48 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. Kind of like the iBike in that it doesn't actually measure power, but uses other data to estimate power output.

With the iBike being so expensive it's always made sense to me to just spend a little more and get real power numbers. Something in the $129 range might actually make me think twice. Assuming it's a good product, obviously.
Old 12-06-16, 12:51 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
That's wild, it claims to measure cadence as well. I wonder if your "cadence" is measured by pulses on the tire from your pedal strokes rather than a traditional revolution counter near the crank.

If it's reasonably accurate when compared to a traditional power meter, it could be a game changer for people who can't afford to pony up for traditional systems. I'd definitely consider it.

I'd really like to know more about how it estimates power.
Old 12-06-16, 12:56 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Interesting. Kind of like the iBike in that it doesn't actually measure power, but uses other data to estimate power output.

With the iBike being so expensive it's always made sense to me to just spend a little more and get real power numbers. Something in the $129 range might actually make me think twice. Assuming it's a good product, obviously.
There is no such a thing that measures your direct power output yet; all the power meters in the market use data from different measuring point to DERIVE your power output, e.g. crankarm based uses strain-gauge.
Old 12-06-16, 01:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4843 Post(s)
Liked 3,968 Times in 2,578 Posts
I need more info. A pitot tube measures the difference in air pressure between still air and moving air and detects speed from that. (On a valve stem, that speed is almost twice yours then it is at the top.) At the bottom, it is not moving. Now it can read static air pressure directly at the bottom so it could estimate you altitude change, ie climbing or descending. But it has no idea of your weight or aerodynamic characteristics. You could tell it that info but still it would hardly know if you were tucked in the drops or riding no-hands.

Tell me more. (Manufacturer/marketer)

Ben
Old 12-06-16, 01:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Hmmm...
Likely one could use a combination of centrifugal force + micro accelerations/deceleration to estimate speed and change of speed under ideal conditions. Elevation + rate of elevation change? GPS? Actual magnetic sensor?

As mentioned in some of the comments, one would also need to estimate wind direction and speed including drafting.

So, this is probably more accurate than simple GPS based power on Strava, but not as accurate as pedal, crank, or hub power meters.
Old 12-06-16, 01:09 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I could be very, very wrong, but it would seem to me that if we're talking about differential air speed, we also need to factor in frontal drag. That's too individual from person to person and hugely individual from sitting up vs. tucked into an aero position. I mean, maybe they have an assumed coefficient that is average enough to give close enough numbers for 129 bucks, but we'll see.

Isn't there a handlebar mounted power meter that does sort of the same thing with airspeed? Perhaps they happened upon a more accurate algorithm by placing it on the valve stem. Sort of a reverse brake dyno based on airspeed. Interested to hear more.
Old 12-06-16, 01:16 PM
CliffordK

I found the manufacturer's website.
arofly
https://www.arofly.com/

So, it can actually be purchased.

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
That's wild, it claims to measure cadence as well. I wonder if your "cadence" is measured by pulses on the tire from your pedal strokes rather than a traditional revolution counter near the crank.
I saw the cadence too which surprised me a bit.. But, as you pedal, 3:00 & 9:00... you get a micro acceleration. 6:00 & 12:00, you essentially coast and get a micro deceleration. Even if you are pretty uniform with your crank stroke, those accelerations and decelerations will be there.

It doesn't matter where one is in the wheel rotation. If you can accurately detect those micro accelerations, you can calculate cadence.
Old 12-06-16, 01:22 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I could be very, very wrong, but it would seem to me that if we're talking about differential air speed, we also need to factor in frontal drag. That's too individual from person to person and hugely individual from sitting up vs. tucked into an aero position. I mean, maybe they have an assumed coefficient that is average enough to give close enough numbers for 129 bucks, but we'll see.

Isn't there a handlebar mounted power meter that does sort of the same thing with airspeed? Perhaps they happened upon a more accurate algorithm by placing it on the valve stem. Sort of a reverse brake dyno based on airspeed. Interested to hear more.
How about this...
Whenever a person coasts, one should be able to calculate the drag.

So, if one assumes the power hits 100% at 3:00 & 9:00, and 0% at 6:00 and 12:00, then one is effectively coasting briefly on every pedal stroke. From which one should be able to get a good drag calculation.

Of course, the calculations are messed up if the power at the bottom of the stroke is significantly non-zero.
Old 12-06-16, 01:32 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
It is essentially an iBike. Read up on iBike. Then move on.

Old 12-06-16, 01:32 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I found the manufacturer's website.
arofly
https://www.arofly.com/

So, it can actually be purchased.

I saw the cadence too which surprised me a bit.. But, as you pedal, 3:00 & 9:00... you get a micro acceleration. 6:00 & 12:00, you essentially coast and get a micro deceleration. Even if you are pretty uniform with your crank stroke, those accelerations and decelerations will be there.

It doesn't matter where one is in the wheel rotation. If you can accurately detect those micro accelerations, you can calculate cadence.
From what I can gather, it's not measuring air speed around the wheel, it's actually measuring pressure inside the tube. I guess there's a pulsing of air in the valve stem as the wheel rotates, and presumably there are smaller pulses associated with pedal strokes.

But you'd also get a lot of false readings due to bumps, pebbles, out of saddle efforts, ect. I'm dubious that it could distinguish between all those tiny variations in pressure and give you an accurate reading on cadence, power, or speed.
Old 12-06-16, 01:49 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
"Pedaling on a bike creates energy." (from manufacturers website)
Old 12-06-16, 01:56 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by 69chevy
"Pedaling on a bike creates energy." (from manufacturers website)

ORLY?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just a poor translation.
Old 12-06-16, 02:03 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
It is essentially an iBike. Read up on iBike. Then move on.
iBike and this ---> PowerPod Powermeter | ProBikeKit.com
Old 12-06-16, 02:03 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo

Bought one of those (well, the Powerpod) for $200 a week or two ago.
Old 12-06-16, 02:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Detecting changes in tube pressure could get cadence, easy. If it's measuring apparent wind speed also, getting the bike speed is easy (a wheel rotation is the cycle minima).

When we thrust on the pedals, that's bound to alter the pressure inside the tire. How much surely depends on the power applied, and that would be regardless of grade. Personally I'll have to think on it more, but it seems to me that (if I have it right what it's detecting) it has everything it needs to derive power.

I can't help but think that properties of the tire will affect pressure changes and throw it off. But if it's been tested with different tires and found to work accurately, or even calibrated for tires (if indeed necessary) I don't think I will have any problem accepting that it works.
Old 12-06-16, 02:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
From what I can gather, it's not measuring air speed around the wheel, it's actually measuring pressure inside the tube. I guess there's a pulsing of air in the valve stem as the wheel rotates, and presumably there are smaller pulses associated with pedal strokes.

But you'd also get a lot of false readings due to bumps, pebbles, out of saddle efforts, ect. I'm dubious that it could distinguish between all those tiny variations in pressure and give you an accurate reading on cadence, power, or speed.
I think you could use Fourier Transforms or similar to filter out the noise.
Old 12-06-16, 02:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
There is no such a thing that measures your direct power output yet; all the power meters in the market use data from different measuring point to DERIVE your power output, e.g. crankarm based uses strain-gauge.
A distinction without a difference. Direct force meters measure torque and rpms, from which power can be calculated with complete accuracy.
Old 12-06-16, 02:11 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
It is an all in one, state-of-the -art, hi-tech electronic device

and this is the bike they picture??

That, plus the way the copy is written, has me very skeptical. How does it get heart rate?

And I think the cadence might be a little simplistic: "Cadence is proportional to Speed. The more Cadence, higher the speed."

super skeptic goggles on....
Old 12-06-16, 02:12 PM
CliffordK

I'm not seeing anything that indicates tube pressure vs outside pressure (and using valve simply as a holder).

If one sits on a bike still, then the tube pressure will essentially equalize no matter where the valve position is. Riding is more dynamic, but it is hard to envision how it will work.

Here is a good description of flow meters.
Types of Fluid Flow Meters
The Pilot Tube (And Venturi) flow meters are all about pressure differential created by flow. A static pressure meter really wouldn't be described as a pilot tube.

So, I'm voting for a valve stem to hold it in place, but all measurements are from the outside.
Old 12-06-16, 02:14 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Direct force meters measure torque and rpms
Not really.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
from which power can be calculated with complete accuracy.
Even the fanciest power meters like SRM and such publish a margin of error, so 'complete accuracy' isn't, well, completely accurate either.
Old 12-06-16, 02:23 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by superdex
How does it get heart rate?

And I think the cadence might be a little simplistic: "Cadence is proportional to Speed. The more Cadence, higher the speed."

super skeptic goggles on....
Arofly says its 10-gram device can read power, speed, cadence and other factors | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

It will also offer heart rate if used with a chest strap.
So... for the HR, a 3rd party accessory. Simple enough.

As far as the cadence... it will be creating micro accelerations in the sensors which I presume they can detect. I assume a hub based power meter would be the same.
Old 12-06-16, 02:26 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

I'm not seeing anything that indicates tube pressure vs outside pressure (and using valve simply as a holder).

If one sits on a bike still, then the tube pressure will essentially equalize no matter where the valve position is. Riding is more dynamic, but it is hard to envision how it will work.

Here is a good description of flow meters.
Types of Fluid Flow Meters
The Pilot Tube (And Venturi) flow meters are all about pressure differential created by flow. A static pressure meter really wouldn't be described as a pilot tube.

So, I'm voting for a valve stem to hold it in place, but all measurements are from the outside.
This is what appears in the comments thread below that original article-

"Via the tyre valve the Arofly measures tiny tyre pressure variances. According to producer Taiwan’s TBS Group, “the bicycle tyre is the first to know your pedaling power effectiveness by its reaction force from the ground. Through core and patented algorithm and advanced calibration technology the precise pedaling power is registered and with that the cycling performance. The Arofly is a hi-tech, precision ‘Pressure Sensor’ that turns tiny air pressure variances into digital data.”

Arofly: World?s Smallest Power Meter - Bike Europe

Another post with more info:

Overall force on the ground (total front and rear) can't change due to pedaling, but there is a weight shift between front and rear. Push the pedal, weight comes off the front of the bike and onto the rear. Push the pedal harder, more weight comes off the front of the bike. The extreme case being where the front wheel lifts altogether and you do a wheely. So there is a direct relationship between the power you are hitting the pedal with, and the reduced pressure in the front tyre. Measure this on a cyclical basis, and its easy to filter out short term transients such as bumps, and long term changes such as temperature. I haven't done the maths, and currently have a few gaps such as whether it needs to know your overall bike plus rider weight. (I suspect that as it's only pressure difference you are looking at and weight is constant, that it cancels itself out in the maths, but that might be BS) Anyway, I think that's the gist of it.
Old 12-06-16, 02:31 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Arofly says its 10-gram device can read power, speed, cadence and other factors | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

So... for the HR, a 3rd party accessory. Simple enough.

As far as the cadence... it will be creating micro accelerations in the sensors which I presume they can detect. I assume a hub based power meter would be the same.

a hub-based powermeter reads cadence via separate sensor, btw...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.