Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Got this on eBay

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Got this on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 05:44 AM
jblackmd

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Supercourse TT, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper FS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Got this on eBay

$350 shipping included. It's a 1997 Specialized Rockhopper FS, so it's a lot newer than my other bike, but still what you would consider vintage I guess. I don't know anything about mountain bikes but it seemed like a decent deal.
Old 07-08-20, 06:11 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Looks to be in really nice condition. 23 year old suspension forks generally dont age well so test them when you get it. Not sure if that is a spring, oil or elastomer model.
Old 07-08-20, 06:55 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
I rebuilt one for a neighbor a couple years back and the part kit was not bad, less than $50 and easy to find IIRC.
Old 07-08-20, 06:59 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by Narhay
Looks to be in really nice condition. 23 year old suspension forks generally dont age well so test them when you get it. Not sure if that is a spring, oil or elastomer model.
It likely needs a bit of work, but that's fine. There was a buy it now price of 395, but I was kind of stalking it. There were no bids, and the starting price was 275. I waited until there was 45 seconds left on the auction, bid 275 and got it.
Old 07-08-20, 07:00 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I rebuilt one for a neighbor a couple years back and the part kit was not bad, less than $50 and easy to find IIRC.
Something like this? https://***********************/nib-nos...irtworks-otis/

I may be rebuilding some forks. Not a tough rebuild, I hope? Are special tools required?

Last edited by jblackmd; 07-08-20 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-08-20, 07:35 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I don't think you'll need anything too exotic in the way of tooling, but the parts can be difficult to find for some forks. If you elect to replace it with a rigid fork, there is probably a Surly fork that would be a good substitute, and that would give you lots of options for mounting racks and things.
Old 07-08-20, 07:43 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
I don't think you'll need anything too exotic in the way of tooling, but the parts can be difficult to find for some forks. If you elect to replace it with a rigid fork, there is probably a Surly fork that would be a good substitute, and that would give you lots of options for mounting racks and things.
I'd like to keep the suspension. I used to ride BMX back in the day, and briefly went on some trails about 30 years ago. It may sound compulsive, but I was on this beautiful trail the other day, and my bike just isn't made for them at this point. The last time I took it on a trail like that it had fatter tires on it. While bouncing around on this trail, I thought it would be nice to have suspension. I made the decision at that moment to get a mountain bike, just for that trail and trails like it. It seems like a pretty common model, so I bet I can find the parts if I look hard enough.
Old 07-08-20, 07:57 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
jblackmd I bought a Rockhopper in 1997 with a rigid fork. I believe the frame is the same for either fork. Found a used Marzzocchi LS in 2010 and can swap in 15 min. I call it my truck because it is heave and can haul me around.
Commute configuration
P1000342, on Flickr

Trail configuration. Well needed to change tires.
RockHopper_ Sprung_2012_018, on Flickr
Old 07-08-20, 08:13 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by SJX426
jblackmd I bought a Rockhopper in 1997 with a rigid fork. I believe the frame is the same for either fork. Found a used Marzzocchi LS in 2010 and can swap in 15 min. I call it my truck because it is heave and can haul me around.
Commute configuration
P1000342, on Flickr

Trail configuration. Well needed to change tires.
RockHopper_ Sprung_2012_018, on Flickr
Nice! You like it?
Old 07-08-20, 08:24 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
SJX426 makes a good suggestion, MTB forks have advanced over the years. I don't recall ever needing "special" tools for a MTB fork or this one which was a worn elastomer model but were I you I would not trust my 70 year old memory. I would search your specific fork on the Mechanics and Mountain Biking Forum and if come up empty post the question there and if needed look at other web MTB sites.
Old 07-08-20, 08:28 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by easyupbug
SJX426 makes a good suggestion, MTB forks have advanced over the years. I don't recall ever needing "special" tools for a MTB fork or this one which was a worn elastomer model but were I you I would not trust my 70 year old memory. I would search your specific fork on the Mechanics and Mountain Biking Forum and if come up empty post the question there and if needed look at other web MTB sites.
I'll definitely do that. Hey, they might not even need a rebuild. I'll see when I ride it.
Old 07-08-20, 02:09 PM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by Narhay
I just asked the seller, who said the forks work fine. We'll see how they are when I get it.