Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

RIPOON Q100 tail light / camera

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 05:32 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts

I just picked up one of these, not because I needed it (I have a Varia RTC715) but because I wanted to see if it really worked as advertised for the $170 price tag.
Here is the description of the unit per the seller. Oddly enough, they advertise it as a "dash cam" but it really is a rearward facing tail light and camera. It mounts on your seatpost. "Mount the black Q100 1080p Bicycle Dash Cam from Ripoon on your bicycle to record the road ahead. This unit uses a 1/2.8" Sony CMOS sensor to capture 1080p resolution video at 60 fps from 140° field of view. A Sony DSP enables the dash cam to capture video in low-light conditions. Additionally, a 100-lumen LED light provides increased visibility on the road to ensure that you're seen by other motorists. This dash cam picks up audio thanks to a built-in microphone. In the event of a collision or an accident, a built-in G-sensor will trigger emergency recording with write protection.

A built-in 2600mAh rechargeable battery ensures uninterrupted power to the camera for up to 9 hours of recording. A memory card slot supports microSD cards up to 128GB (available separately). The dash cam is housed in an IPX7-rated enclosure for protection from water."

I installed a 128GB micro SD card and am currently charging the camera up with the included (albeit short) USB A-C cable. I'm going to mount it on my friends' bike with the banded mount, go for a ride, and then check the quality of the video. Hopefully, we won't be testing any emergency recordings. Camera comes in black, yellow (the color I purchased) and pink. I'll do my best to give a review after the ride.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-09-23, 05:26 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Before riding with the camera, I read the instructions and found that various parameters can be set by choosing settings in a "Settings" file.
First off, the date and time are set. File Format can be set to either TS video (default) or MP4. I selected MP4. Video resolution can be set to 1080P/60fps (default) or 1080P/30fps. Video timestamp can be turned On or Off, and the recording loop time can be set to 1, 3, 5 (default) or 10 minutes. I set it up for a 10 minute loop.
Pressing the POWER button turns the unit on, and it vibrates to verify power on status. Once on, the light modes are selected as Camera/Flashing light with brake light (have to check that out)/SOS light. Run time is advertised as 8.5 hours. The second mode is similar, but the light is on constant instead of flashing, and run time is 7.5 hours. Third mode turns the light off (camera, SOS, and brake light still function) and run time is 9 to 11 hours. Press and hold the POWER button for 3 seconds to turn off (it vibrates again.)
There is an indicator light (referred to as the Status Light in the parts identification diagram) showing state of charge, and if there is no SD card installed, or if the card is not recognized. One other thing pointed out is a reset button to be used "if the camera freezes". Hmmm.
There is NO image stabilization in the sample video I took hand-holding the unit, which is to be expected at this price point, but the video is clear enough. I don't know how useful it would be off road, other than to induce motion sickness. Haven't had the chance to try out the 'brake light' feature yet, as my friend was out all day.
Old 11-07-23, 03:06 PM
TheDudeUhBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any update on video quality comparison or other items of note?

Thanks for posting!
Old 11-07-23, 03:13 PM
TheDudeUhBikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, could you describe the mounting? It appears they are about to release a front light/camera combo as well with a handlebar mount bracket and a white light instead. all else looks the same. I was curious if I could use GoPro type mounts with it or DJI or OutboundLighting mounts.

cheers
Old 03-17-24, 05:38 PM
keithwalker88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the front and rear cameras. The front one so far is working (2 short rides), but the rear twice has lost charge in < 2 weeks. It was sitting untouched like the front camera. So I don't have confidence in the rear one. I'd like to return it but can't even find a Ripoon website.
Old 03-17-24, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by keithwalker88
I just got the front and rear cameras. The front one so far is working (2 short rides), but the rear twice has lost charge in < 2 weeks. It was sitting untouched like the front camera. So I don't have confidence in the rear one. I'd like to return it but can't even find a Ripoon website.
Ask the billionaire Jeff Bezos, he usually sells this sort of "stuff". It is highly unlikely they would need a website they are probably one of many made up brands that sells on places like Amazon or Alibaba and his 40 thieves.
Old 03-18-24, 08:17 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You can see the mounting part in the pictures at the Amazon site but that is not the place to buy one if you just want the rear camera, B&H Camera sells it for $100, far below the $170 on Amazon (not a surprise to me!). There aren't any reviews on Amazon, just two promos on YouTube. The same comment above about the rear camera failure is in the review column at B&H where it also has a better picture of the mount. At some point B&H was selling it for $70 Look at the customer reviews for pictures of the camera mounted on the seatppost.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bike_dash.html