Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Forced wheels upgrade

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Forced wheels upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 03:20 PM
hubbla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forced wheels upgrade

Hello,

Unfortunately due to a minor accident, I am forced to replace the wheel set on my bicycle. I am currently riding Fuji Sportif 1.3 with disc brakes, which was not really upgraded. As the OM wheels can only go to trash I would like to get something that will make my time in the saddle better. I usually go on rides ~4 times per week for 2 hours on average.

I have very limited knowledge of wheels, and what makes one better than the other so I would love to hear advice from more experienced cyclists. Here are some wheels that I found available in my region, that fit my budget (i am not sure if i want tubeless, never used them). Please let me know if they are any good, what is better, or maybe you have some other recommendations (cannot post links yet).
  • campagnolo zonda c17 350e
  • campagnolo scirocco c17 280e
  • DT Swiss E1800 32 300e
  • DT Swiss P1800 23 269
If I am not clear with anything, please let me know I will try to be more specific.

Hubert
Old 07-10-23, 04:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
What is your budget?

From what I see online for the Fuji Sportif 1.3, it has a Shimano drivetrain. Because of that, you will want to stay with a Shimano-compatible freehub. This would eliminate your Campagnolo options, which use a different freehub spline pattern, and are not compatible with the Shimano cassette on your current wheels.
Old 07-10-23, 04:06 PM
hubbla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
350 euros, give or take
Old 07-10-23, 05:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
IMO, Zonda's cannot be beat for the price. I have 2 sets that have quite a few miles on them, never needed truing or serviced. It appears your are in Europe, you can get them at a decent price from numerous sources. I bought both of mine from Pro Bike Kit, but it looks like they do not have them now. I think they are just unloading whatever stock they can, and will wind up shutting down operations. Try Wiggle and Merlin Cycles. Just make sure you get the Shimano compatible free hub, may be a bit more dollars.
Old 07-10-23, 06:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by hubbla
... Here are some wheels that I found available in my region, that fit my budget (i am not sure if i want tubeless, never used them). Please let me know if they are any good, what is better, or maybe you have some other recommendations (cannot post links yet).
  • campagnolo zonda c17 350e
  • campagnolo scirocco c17 280e
  • DT Swiss E1800 32 300e
  • DT Swiss P1800 23 269
None of the above, because they are too narrow. The Campagnolo wheels have an internal width of 17 mm, and the DT Swiss wheels have an internal width of 18 mm.

350 euros, give or take
Buy a wider (19 mm) wheelset for improved comfort, handling, and rolling resistance, e.g.:

Mavic Ksyrium S Center Lock Disc Wheelset - bike-components
Old 07-10-23, 10:08 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What is your budget?

From what I see online for the Fuji Sportif 1.3, it has a Shimano drivetrain. Because of that, you will want to stay with a Shimano-compatible freehub. This would eliminate your Campagnolo options, which use a different freehub spline pattern, and are not compatible with the Shimano cassette on your current wheels.
This is untrue. Campagnolo wheels are available with Shimano compatible free hubs.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-10-23, 10:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
This is untrue. Campagnolo wheels are available with Shimano compatible free hubs.
Really? I’ve never seen that. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-11-23, 12:06 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Don't sweat the internal width if you find a quality wheelset in your price range. Yes, all thing equal, get a wider one, but it's a very minor difference.
Old 07-11-23, 12:06 AM
hubbla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Mavic Ksyrium S Center Lock Disc Wheelset - bike-components
I see these use tubeless tires and appreciate clinched tires' low maintenance.
Old 07-11-23, 12:54 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I see these use tubeless tires and appreciate clinched tires' low maintenance.
These are tubeless compatible wheels on which can mount both regular clincher tires (with tubes) and tubeless tires. Click on the link in my post above and you can see the following:

Specifications:
Tyre Type: clincher tyre
Technical Information - Rim:
Rim Flange: with hook

Another advantage of Mavic wheels with Fore drilling is that there are no holes in the rim bed and thus no need for rim tape.