Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

My Rattan Challenger Shuts Down At Three Bars!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 11:50 AM
highbids

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Rattan Challenger shuts off when it's down to three bars.

Anyone else have this problem if you did how did you fix it.

The e-bikes like brand new, it hasn't been rode more than
an couple of hour's.

It is a previous version of the Challenger about three years old
36V 350W version the newer one is a 48V

I'm thinking it's the I-PAS technology, or a setting in LED speed controller on the left on the handle bar
Old 03-27-22, 05:07 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Is the battery 3 years old or it it new? It's not a 36V battery being run in a 48V bike is it?
Old 03-27-22, 09:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I am surprised a rattan bike would hold together that long though I guess it is possible with the right layering or maybe if you covered some tubes in rattan.

If the bike was actually new I would have returned it and found something without the problems.
Old 03-28-22, 12:10 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Sorry you bought one. The company is TOTALLY non respondent to customer problems.

Its most likely a bad battery. Either it sags enough to trigger the bms to shut it down or the BMS itself is faulty.

-SP
Old 03-28-22, 04:42 AM
highbids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting parts is a pain in the ass, anyone recomended a us mfg that has parts & pick up the phone
Old 03-28-22, 08:41 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
You didn't answer my question, but a three year old battery, rarely used, is going to be toast. If you kept it 100% charged, it killed itself. If you didn't charge and use it on a regular basis, the cells that run the battery circuits are drained, and unbalanced the battery.
Old 03-28-22, 10:51 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by highbids
Getting parts is a pain in the ass, anyone recomended a us mfg that has parts & pick up the phone
Pretty much anyone using Bosch or Shimano STePS will be easy to get parts for and support. If you cannot get help from the Manufacturer Bosch and Shimano are quite easy to get support for independently from most bike shops. Specialized is also a good brand to go for they use Brose and a Mahle motor but provide excellent support for warranty and parts. Brose is also fairly easy to get support for but some companies use just their motors as they don't have a specific system you are tied to like Bosch and Shimano so the OEM has a bit more freedom which means you might need more OEM support with Brose but for the motors they do provide excellent support and same with any other Brose parts. Maybe not quite as good as Bosch and Shimano but not far off.

Most of those online brands exist for one reason is price point, they aren't there to support their products or the products they have branded for them they are just in it for making money and hitting that price point. There are a few here and there that will help for a little bit and some that are improving but in the end they aren't in it for support you aren't paying for that so they aren't looking to really give it to you or in some cases they can't. I was dealing with a manufacturer recently and needed information about a part they were using and they kept regurgitating the basic info that was already there and wouldn't and couldn't provide me with what I needed even after explaining it, their tech team was just not prepared to deal with a common situation like what we had.
Old 03-29-22, 07:44 AM
highbids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It set in a garage for about three years he rode it maybe once a month, the the new Rattan Challenger are 48V
this came with a 36V battery