Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

All wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 01:27 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I put a set of swept bars on my GT Outpost. It's not a light bike, but with the stock straight bar, and with the bullmoose bars I put on afterward, you were leaning a bit and could really beat on the thing. When I put the cruiser bars on it, the thing is actually a chore to ride because of the rider geometry. It feels about 60 lbs, and rides like a truck. It'll be going back to the bullmoose bars but will keep its road tires and fenders - they've got enough grip to deal with all but the muddy muck stuff.
Old 02-25-13, 01:45 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
This was a fun bike.. but it was out to kill me.

The bolt actually broke while riding and the crank came off.. had to step backwards off the bike and let it ride ahead to where you see it in the pic, the crank was a ways back.

There was a few other incidents with this same bike, but the one that really stands out was when the stem wedge gave way, while I was doing a bunny hop of course, the bike came down but the bars didn't.. I got very very very lucky as when I slammed down the bars the stem went back in place and I was able to safely stop the bike.
Old 02-25-13, 06:07 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
I made some changes this afternoon - replaced the brake housings with quality stuff, and tried a longer stem with no rise. That made a big difference, and after I raised the saddle an inch and a half or so and moved it forward a bit, it improved significantly. The longer stem was the key, my weight is positioned more forward with more of it on the front wheel as bradtx pointed out (thanks bradtx!) The saddle height is now level with the grips (I took the photos before the saddle adjustments,) and it handles predictably. Thanks to all for the input!

Great job and much thanks for giving a finished result and info on the feedback given here more often then not there are no results info so. It is nice to see the advice worked and a finishied bike to prove it.