Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Oversized Pulley. Will it help?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Oversized Pulley. Will it help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 04:02 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Hey if you have a Cervelo P5X and Zipp 858 front wheel and Zipp disc rear then go for it.

But for the average cyclist.. it's great bagel store talk.
Great set of wheels to have no matter the bike they are on..
Old 06-03-18, 06:49 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
You'll be a hit at the coffee shop with the other dentists.
anti dentite
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 06-03-18, 09:10 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I've been told, on two separate and unrelated accounts, that these oversized pulleys are more fragile than regular pulleys, and are more likely to break under pressure (e.g. if you try to shift while already putting down lots of power uphill).
Old 06-03-18, 10:50 PM
igosolo

Bikes: '17 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod, '11 Cannondale Supersix, '13 Cannondale CAADX Disc, '13 Trek Superfly, '07 Cannondale System Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I went to their site and watched a video. Maybe if we all stop hitting our balls with a big sledge hammer we won't need these silly contraptions. If I had billions of dollars I would not buy this part.
Old 06-04-18, 12:04 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
the pulleys only save 2.4(claimed) watts
Compared to what? If its shimano 11sp, just get a pair of dura ace pulleys at 1/10 the price and achieve almost the same thing. The numbers from friction facts are out the if you care to see for your self.
Old 06-04-18, 12:10 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I have never seen anyone independent verify these claims and it would be so easy to do. Simply compare input to output, measured with pedal and rear hub power meters for a standard and a CS drive train. I highly doubt there is 10 watts friction to be saved at any reasonable power level, unless they compare to a rusty Turney drive train with no lube.
Old 06-04-18, 08:21 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
It looks like the pulley is a 1st. class lever. The larger the pulley, the less force needed to turn it. BUT...the chain will have to travel a farther distance. Think cassette cogs. What this means in the real world, i don't know.
Old 06-04-18, 08:50 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I liked the Ceramicspeed pulleys, but they were too expensive for my budget. Instead I use this. Spent less money and still save about 1.8 watts:

Old 06-04-18, 10:53 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
I've been told, on two separate and unrelated accounts, that these oversized pulleys are more fragile than regular pulleys, and are more likely to break under pressure (e.g. if you try to shift while already putting down lots of power uphill).
​​​​​​can you post a link? I'm not doubting you, but I would love to read more about it.
Old 06-05-18, 07:39 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I bought two 11t pulleys on Amazon. I think they were $6 each but it might have been $6 for the pair. They are quiet, don't hurt my shifting at all, and are gold.

I estimate that for a 5 hour gravel ride, I am now averaging up to a thousandth of a MPH faster.

And they're gold.
Old 06-05-18, 09:57 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by noodle soup
​​​​​​can you post a link? I'm not doubting you, but I would love to read more about it.
I didn't hear it from the Internet.

First case was along a popular climb, one rider's derailleur practically disintegrated. Another rider in my group who runs one of the local LBS helped the guy remove the broken derailleur and shorten the chain to turn the bike into a makeshift single-speed so that the guy could ride home. While repairing he told us that these oversized pulleys are fragile and cautioned us against shifting while climbing under pressure (i.e. ease up on the power while you shift).

Second case was a riding buddy of mine, we were talking about oversized pulleys when he mentioned he tried it once. Broke his brand new derailleur the next day while powering up a short section that we often ride during the weekend. He's gone back to regular derailleur after that.
Old 06-05-18, 10:03 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
That makes sense, but it's surprising that there's nothing written about it anywhere. Usually when an insanely priced item is having failures, it's not hard to find complaints and photos of those failures.
Old 06-05-18, 10:07 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

In retrospect, I should have taken a picture of that first case. It looked like the jockey wheel broke, jamming up the chain and, as the guy was powering up the climb, that force just ripped the rest of the derailleur part. He was lucky it didn't go into the spokes and cause even more damage.
Old 04-11-21, 03:17 AM
Janus60

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma K8S, Look 595 Ultra, Giant Cadex CFR2, CANNONDALE Super V Raven 4000 SX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Geat look, fascinating and motivating sound but not really value for money

I was both interested and doubtful about the real benefit of this device. Finally I went for the purchase of a 500€ (e.g. 600$) OSPW Ceramicspeed.

I tried to realize objective quantitative measures in order to assess the real power saving (measurement device : 9100P duraace power meter / Garmin 1030plus). Same route, approximately same weather conditions…

Also changed the chain with a brand new chain (KMC X10 SL DLC Super Light). Cassette and chain ring also recent (less than 1200 km)

So far no relevant advantage ! same average power need for same maximal average speed.

Would I buy it again ? Not for this price (definitively not value for money) But considering the fantastic look, the the facinating and discreet sound which pushed you to press harder on the pedals, I would be interested with a more realistic price about 200€ (~240 $)

I will publish power measurement details soon...
Old 04-11-21, 08:25 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
If I were buying expensive pulley wheels, I'd want them to have full ceramic bearings. Those are really durable and don't need as much lube or sealing. Afaik even ceramicspeed does not use full ceramic in their OSPW.

example: https://www.kogel.cc/products/the-no...tagram-pulleys

Just a thought.

Last edited by smashndash; 04-11-21 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 11:22 AM
Janus60

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma K8S, Look 595 Ultra, Giant Cadex CFR2, CANNONDALE Super V Raven 4000 SX

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
ceramicspeed OSPW benchmarking - power time zones breakdown

brief benchmarking data Ceramicspeed OSPW vs. DuraAce regular cage and pulley

ceramicspeed OSPW vs. regular DuraAce cage benchmarking - power time zones breakdown

Last edited by Janus60; 04-11-21 at 11:45 AM. Reason: adding more benchmarking data
Old 04-11-21, 12:37 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My opinion:

From a performance perspective, the two absolutely worst ways to waste money on your bike are oversized pulleys and ceramic bearings. This product neatly combines both of these "features". They also work as a handy sign on your bike, blaring "I am a complete poseur".

Again, just one man's opinion.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-11-21 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-11-21, 02:04 PM
Janus60

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
@Hiro11 : I don’t share your opinion about ceramic bearing. As i’ve did with the ospw, I run the same benchmarking with replacing the original traditional stainless bearing of my Mavic CXR ultimate wheels with ceramic hybrid bearing (coated ceramic + ceramic balls) and in this case the upgrade definitively worth it. i will next publish the results and datas
however, it’s just one isolated experiment, further experience should confirm or not my analysis

Anyway we should be careful with too radical thinking shortcuts without further experiment. I made often wrong decision with some preconceived opinions, that’s one of the reasons I’ve decided to go systematically for experiments and measurement.

one point I agree with is the about the intangible criteria and your funny anecdote about bicycle « poseur » ;-)
Old 04-11-21, 02:15 PM
Janus60

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
atwl77 that’s my next investigation : how resilient are ceramicspeed ospw. Actually with a far bigger lever arm distance, the torque effort on the cage are significantly higher. The coming season will be very interesting to compare the reliability of this device compared to the fail-proof original dura ace cage. Wait and see...
Old 04-11-21, 04:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
My opinion:

From a performance perspective, the two absolutely worst ways to waste money on your bike are oversized pulleys and ceramic bearings. This product neatly combines both of these "features". They also work as a handy sign on your bike, blaring "I am a complete poseur".

Again, just one man's opinion.
Originally Posted by Janus60
@Hiro11 : I don’t share your opinion about ceramic bearing. As i’ve did with the ospw, I run the same benchmarking with replacing the original traditional stainless bearing of my Mavic CXR ultimate wheels with ceramic hybrid bearing (coated ceramic + ceramic balls) and in this case the upgrade definitively worth it. i will next publish the results and datas
however, it’s just one isolated experiment, further experience should confirm or not my analysis

Anyway we should be careful with too radical thinking shortcuts without further experiment. I made often wrong decision with some preconceived opinions, that’s one of the reasons I’ve decided to go systematically for experiments and measurement.

one point I agree with is the about the intangible criteria and your funny anecdote about bicycle « poseur » ;-)
The internet, bringing people together one judgmental post at a time.
Old 04-11-21, 07:35 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

First case was along a popular climb, one rider's derailleur practically disintegrated. Another rider in my group who runs one of the local LBS helped the guy remove the broken derailleur and shorten the chain to turn the bike into a makeshift single-speed so that the guy could ride home. While repairing he told us that these oversized pulleys are fragile and cautioned us against shifting while climbing under pressure (i.e. ease up on the power while you shift).

Second case was a riding buddy of mine, we were talking about oversized pulleys when he mentioned he tried it once. Broke his brand new derailleur the next day while powering up a short section that we often ride during the weekend. He's gone back to regular derailleur after that.
I know this an old post but it's entirely incorrect. The amount of power the rider is producing has absolutely ZERO affect on the what happens below the cog the chain is on. ALL of the power goes into that cog...none is felt by the cage or pulleys. It's a very simple concept to understand, go look at your bike.

Originally Posted by Janus60

I'm sure you'll probably come up w/ some numbers proving that you're saving XX watts...but you're not. If there is any difference it's in the (lack of) proper lubricant and sketchy seals.
Old 04-12-21, 01:42 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I know this an old post but it's entirely incorrect. The amount of power the rider is producing has absolutely ZERO affect on the what happens below the cog the chain is on. ALL of the power goes into that cog...none is felt by the cage or pulleys. It's a very simple concept to understand, go look at your bike.
Wheels flex under load.
That gap that was between the derailleur and spokes when the bike is on the repair stand? Not so big when climbing.
Though it's hard to look at your bike while you're doing it.
Likes For znomit:
Old 04-12-21, 05:28 AM
Janus60

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
sorry if I could offend by my last message. That was definitively not my intention. My foreign English may be responsible for this lack of subtlety. In fact I only wanted to suggest that only objective tests and measurements can help to compare. And that even the test that I conducted is an isolated experiment far from sufficient to conclude but should engourage further and lot of additional real-condition experiences
Likes For Janus60:
Old 04-12-21, 06:45 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
1. Person posts thread asking for opinions on oversized pulleys.
2. I post my opinion, caveated not once but twice that it's an opinion, not fact. Something I also disclose permanently in my "Bikes" field to the left because of the hyper-sensitivity to even solicited opinions on this forum.

If you solicit opinions and get an opinion back, it a bit hard to complain that the person responding is being judgmental. Regardless, you neatly prove another opinion I have: whenever you utter a declarative sentence of any sort on the internet, you're going to offend someone.
Old 04-12-21, 07:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
For newer Shimano "R" rear derailleurs you can run a 12/14 on the factory cage.

I file this one under "really really marginal". If really really marginal applies to you, sure. With TT it's really disingenuous to argue "train more" when most folks already optimize their training budgets. Therefore, marginal gains. Waxed chains, big front rings and larger rear cogs, TT tires, aero, etc....

If it's just for group rides and fondos, if you've got the money I guess. I won't judge. If money is tight though, I wouldn't do it unless it matters with how you compete.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.