Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay cleat spring durability: new Wahoo vs old

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 05:04 PM
rozman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been using Speedplay X1 pedals for 20 yrs. My old cleats need replacement, so looks like I'll be buying the new Wahoo Speedplay pedals and cleats ☹
I see the spring design in the new cleat is very different from the old design (old = round spring; new = flat spring).
Does anyone have any experience on the durability of this new spring design vs the old?.
Any other durability issues to note?
thx!
Old 03-29-22, 05:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I don't think that I've had a Zero spring fail on me. While some people will take that as a sign to run the same cleats for years and years, they do wear and get more loose over time. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much people will be able to speak to durability with the new Wahoo versions - they just haven't been out that long.
Old 03-29-22, 05:20 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I do not have experience with any of the new Wahoo product, just the Speedplay X1 and Zero.

My experience with X1 and Zero cleats is that the X1 cleats are maybe 5x as long-lasting. The flat cleats have this breakage issue at the tip of that "C" shaped flat steel spring in my experience. I think if you lubricate them excessively with the recommended Teflon dry lube it helps a lot. Like once a week.
Old 03-30-22, 06:45 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Lubricate them where? I thought you were supposed to lubricate the smallish exposed surface of the flat spring and the pedal bowties but that was just to help not wear them out from a surface-wear perspective.
Old 03-30-22, 07:18 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Chandne
Lubricate them where? I thought you were supposed to lubricate the smallish exposed surface of the flat spring and the pedal bowties but that was just to help not wear them out from a surface-wear perspective.
When I lube, and I haven't found it necessary to be nearly as frequent or as excessive as the previous poster, I just try to get a couple drops to migrate under and on top of the spring clip and wiggle it about. At least in my conditions, I find that doing so helps to keep the clip-in and -out action/force smooth and easy.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-30-22, 11:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
On my X's -- I just use some aerosol Teflon on the cleat and allow to dry. It's worked for me.
Old 03-30-22, 05:33 PM
rozman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randallr
I do not have experience with any of the new Wahoo product, just the Speedplay X1 and Zero.

My experience with X1 and Zero cleats is that the X1 cleats are maybe 5x as long-lasting. The flat cleats have this breakage issue at the tip of that "C" shaped flat steel spring in my experience. I think if you lubricate them excessively with the recommended Teflon dry lube it helps a lot. Like once a week.
Thanks for the reply.
Is the spring in the new Wahoo pedals the same as the flat "C" spring in the pre-Wahoo Zero pedal?
Old 03-30-22, 06:56 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Looking at the Wahoo web site, it looks like the Wahoo Zero cleat has a different spring than my older Speedplay Zero cleats. Maybe they fixed it!
Old 03-31-22, 05:47 AM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've ridden 20,000 miles on pre-Wahoo Speedplay Zeros with no problems whatsoever. I recently bought a pair of the Wahoo Speedplay Zero Standard Tension cleats for a new pair of shoes. The spring in the Wahoo cleats is very similar to the pre-Wahoo cleats. The main difference is with the body of the cleat. The pre-Wahoo cleat was built with a plastic body in which the spring rested. That was covered with a rather thick steel cover plate. On the new cleat the cover plate is stamped steel. The old cleats had to be rugged enough to endure waking without damage. The new cleats have a plastic surround that makes them better for walking but also protects the stamped steel cover. I maintain the cleats periodically by wiping the interior with a rag and applying some dry lube to the circumference of the spring.
Old 03-31-22, 06:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Vince Canepa
The pre-Wahoo cleat was built with a plastic body in which the spring rested. That was covered with a rather thick steel cover plate. On the new cleat the cover plate is stamped steel. The old cleats had to be rugged enough to endure waking without damage. The new cleats have a plastic surround that makes them better for walking but also protects the stamped steel cover.
FWIW, the walkable Zero cleats have been around for several years, well before Wahoo got involved and have been the standard for a while... at least, I haven't seen the old cleats in shops in ages.
Old 03-31-22, 06:47 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

When Wahoo killed the Frogs (my fav MTB/gravel pedals) and stopped production of Light Actions etc...I eventually stocked up on a few pedals and cleat, Frogs too, though I had to overpay like crazy for those. So now, I am meticulous about maintenance. I grease them more often (as soon as I feel much lighter resistance when spinning the pedals with my fingers) and I lube the cleat springs and pedal bowties before almost every ride. They do seem to last a long time. I still wish that Wahoo had never bought Speedplay.
Old 03-31-22, 07:08 AM
WhyFi

Light Action Zeros? They're around, they're even standard with the Comp pedals.
Old 03-31-22, 09:54 PM
Johnny Rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
…The flat cleats have this breakage issue at the tip of that "C" shaped flat steel spring in my experience.
This has been my experience for years… both cleats, walkable and pre-walkable. It is what it is. I’m no faster with or without the broken tip(s). They still seem to work just fine, so I’ve stopped thinking too much about it… but, it’s not “right” for them to break.
Likes For Johnny Rad:
Old 04-01-22, 11:48 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
On my X's -- I just use some aerosol Teflon on the cleat and allow to dry. It's worked for me.
I use Pedros bike lust (silicone). My Nanos are now 6mo old and after a long break in I really like them better than the X. Walkable and I think the rectangular spring is more stable and will last longer, time will tell. I was replacing the X cleats once a year.
Old 04-03-22, 07:03 PM
Chandne

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Light Action Zeros? They're around, they're even standard with the Comp pedals.
Not sure I can use them since I use slightly longer spindles...not sure if they are compatible. Likely not. Fortunately, I have several pedals and the extended spindles so I should be good to go for a while. Those 20mm pedal extenders are too much. I need ~10mm-12MM longer spindles.
Old 04-10-22, 07:31 PM
rozman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pre and post Wahoo speedplay pedal/cleat compatability table

Found this on the Wahoo site:

Digested:
Pre Wahoo Zero pedals compatible with all new Wahoo cleats. And...
Pre Wahoo Zero cleats compatible with all new Wahoo pedals.
Hope this is actually true. Can anyone confirm these compatibilities?
thanks again!