Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Bicycle Company: A Review

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amsterdam Bicycle Company: A Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 06:03 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I’m lucky that I can walk to a LBS and get a dutch bike.

From your story, it sounds like bridges were burned. (Passive voice, not judging who held the matches.)

Anyhow, there are a few US LBS’s that import Workcycles.

You probably can ride an FR8, but if you want a still stronger bike there is the FR8 Clydesdale.

If you have your heart absolutely set on a pastoorfiet, there’s the FR8 Cross, which is basically a pastoorfiet. (Only a single pair of seat stays, but you can get a skirt/robe guard.)

It’s easy to get to Chicago (Workcycle’s closest LBS to you) from Las Vegas. But do call ahead.

P.S. Sometimes a nervous buyer comes across as a PITA in email. Face to face, often not so much.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-05-22 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 04-04-22, 06:06 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratspeed
Interestingly enough, Azor's website has no warranty information. I'm going to have to ask them about that now that I think of it.
I am reminded of the great Screamin' Jay Hawkins and his classic tune, I Put a Spell on You, in which he sings,

I don't care if you don't want me, I'm YOURS!

Last edited by BCDrums; 04-04-22 at 06:14 AM.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 04-04-22, 06:19 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
P.S. Sometimes a nervous buyer comes across as a PITA in email. Face to face, often not so much.
It's not just a "nervous buyer".

He's currently too heavy (his planned future weight isn't really relevant), he's talking about the possibility of breaking it, he keeps changing what he wants, he's asking too many questions (which take time/money to answer) in a language the seller might be less familiar with (which adds confusion), he's seems way too picky, he thinks people are making way more from the sale than they actually would.

It's not a recipe for success.

It seems he might be someone who believes "the customer is always right" (the rally cry of unreasonable customers).

A lot of his problems would be solved by buying a bike that is available for sale in the US in a normal way (ideally, face-to-face).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-05-22 at 03:59 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-04-22, 06:24 AM
mr_bill

Another p.s.

And, highly recommend Rev Laura Everett’s short book “Holy Spokes.”

I guess by definition, whatever she rides is a pastoorfiet.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 04-04-22, 06:31 AM
njkayaker

As for me, as I explained, I am rapidly losing weight. At the time I approached Amsterdam Bicycle Company, I was 358lbs. His website states the bike will take 8-10 weeks to arrive. In the last two weeks I have managed to drop 15 pounds. At this rate, assuming I were to make an order today, I would be down 60 lbs by the time the bike arrives—well below the max weight capacity for an Azor kruisframe.
This is irrelevant complication to the discussion/sale.

Absolutely no one is going to agree to a contract (what a warranty is) to a party in a foreign country based on weight they plan to lose.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-04-22 at 06:40 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-04-22, 06:40 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Another p.s.
That's deranged.

The person filming was able to keep up (which suggests the others weren't working as hard as the could have).

You may spend too much time on YouTube.
Old 04-04-22, 07:50 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Whilst I doubt you'll agree but he has a point. You're asking a lot of really irrelevant questions (like design origins), arguing with his recommended sizing, arguing about the weight limits (I get that you are likely to have lost the weight by delivery, but are you accounting for cargo like he mentioned) and then arguing about how repairable the bike is going to be.

To him you sound like you're almost certainly going to break it and be a nuisance afterwards. His offer to sell you it without any support or warranty is pretty fair, because from his perspective you'll have voided the warranty by being too heavy anyway.

So if you want the bike, agree to his terms and buy it. If you don't, just find another Dutch bike and get on with your life. He's not going to come around.

From my experience of the trade, customers that act like that are always going to be more hassle than they are worth, they'll eat up the profit margin and will give back feedback publicly over everything (case in point this thread). It may be a $4000 bike, but his cut is probably only going to be $400 before time, costs, etc.
Old 04-04-22, 08:51 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Since you seem to be all into the traditional artisan angle, how about a Worksman bicycle hand-built in the good ole US of A by a company that's been building trade bicycles since 1898?

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 04-04-22 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-04-22, 11:36 AM
Ratspeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Last edited by Ratspeed; 04-04-22 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Dogpiling
Old 04-04-22, 11:55 AM
Ratspeed

Old 04-04-22, 11:56 AM
Ratspeed

Last edited by Ratspeed; 04-04-22 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Dogpiling
Likes For Ratspeed:
Old 04-04-22, 12:00 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Since you seem to be all into the traditional artisan angle, how about a Worksman bicycle hand-built in the good ole US of A by a company that's been building trade bicycles since 1898?
I was going to suggest the same.
Old 04-04-22, 05:00 PM
Ratspeed

Old 04-04-22, 06:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
You know.... It just occurred to me that Workcycles Fr8 ebikes use a Bafang mid-frame motor that attaches to the frame, instead of depending on a custom pocket like the Shimanos do... ... Azor doesn't even offer that.... I wonder if WC would be willing to attach one to their Pastoorfiets.... that would solve everything! I would not be opposed to that. It would allow the bike to retain a vintage 1920's look, with the option of removing the motor entirely if ever necessary ... and maybe they could weld a couple bars to attach their battery to the downtube! That would be better than fitting it above the rear wheel!
You should send them a super-long, detailed email with these questions!
Old 04-04-22, 06:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Now your taking issue with the company not offering a motor? *smh* Sorry, but you’re not the sun.

Time to bounce.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-04-22, 06:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
You should send them a super-long, detailed email with these questions!
And then blast them if the answer is no.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-04-22, 09:58 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Keep in mind, sales people want nothing more than to make a sale. It’s what they do. It’s how they keep themselves fed, clothed, and housed. Many of them are quite passionate about their work and the product(s) they sell.

How much of a PITA does one have to be to be turned away by a salesperson? And now it appears you’re gonna start in with the fine folks over at Workcycles. I feel like I should forward someone in sales a link to this thread just so they can understand what they’re dealing with.

Wow. Just… wow.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-05-22, 04:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Thank you to all those who tried their best to offer positive and productive ideas and/or criticism for the situation. But I'm sorry, the amount of dogpiling happening in this thread is turning quite toxic to allow it to continue.
If anything was toxic here, it was your attempt to extract some sort of petty revenge on a specific, very identifiable person for his refusal to allow you to waste more of his time.
Your OP was an attempt at a public shaming and it backfired. Every one reading that OP could see that Steven did what he did because you were completely unreasonable. Now you have the gall to complain about dogpiling as if you're some kind of victim? You came here to use the forum as a weapon against someone who didn't deserve your wrath,, and I hope this thread stays up as an object lesson to other people who want to try that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-05-22, 05:07 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Bow wow.
Woof woof.
Old 04-05-22, 01:00 PM
mr_bill

So, one advantage of workcycles is they have a pretty damn good ENGLISH LANGUAGE web presence at workcycles.com.

There you will find detailed information about the various models.
Plus WONDERFUL FAQs - scroll to the bottom of the home page.

You'll find that the pastoorfiets would NOT be a recommendation for you. (Max load capacity 145kg/319lbs - that's rider PLUS whatever you carry in the carrier(s).)

But the Fr8 Clydesdale absolutely would be. (Max load capacity 200kg/440lbs.)

BTW, the difference in the Clydesdale, from the FAQ: "For the very tall or very heavy rider we build a special ‘Clydesdale’ spec Fr8. A Clydesdale Fr8 comes outfitted with heavy duty rims, SR Torx saddle, reinforced seat post, double seat post clamp and stronger bottom bracket axle." And from the description of the Fr8: "Nobody has yet bent or broken a Fr8 frame or fork and we see fairly few problems with the rest of the components as well."

As for the Fr8 Cross XL, that has a max load capacity of 250kg/551lbs! Can you get the "Clydesdale" spec heavy duty rims, saddle, reinforced seat post, double seat post clamp and stronger bottom bracket axel? No idea, put that in infrequently asked questions.

Electric options are also covered in the FAQ, including how to order an upgrade friendly bike. To mount a battery on the downtube, you'd want the Fr8 3.0 frame, or, by eye, the Cross XL, otherwise, put the battery on the rack. NOTE - they will not ship the battery to you, you'll need to source that locally. (Air freight safety restrictions.)

Spend some quality time browsing the website, and most of your questions will be answered.

For the few that aren't. The US
dealer information (yes, Chicago is the closest US dealer to you, sorry) is at the bottom of the home page.

Finally, there's a subforum here Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) that you might find more welcoming. At the very least, I hope you find a more welcoming community than you found here.

And yes, in your zeal to over document your experiences, those who don't face discrimination may not have understood your frustration.

The overall gist of your story is - do any larger people ever have troubles with LBS, importers, etc? Hell yes. So too do women. (And I am neither large nor female, but I've witnessed discrimination first hand. If the LBS is unwilling to address *THEIR* problem with large customers or female customers (or both), then they'll not wonder where this customer has gone.)

And finally, Workcycles ARE "available for sale in the US in a normal way."

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-05-22 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-05-22, 01:35 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
A pity the OP deleted all his posts. That opening post must've been a real humdinger!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-05-22, 02:40 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Thank you to all those who tried their best to offer positive and productive ideas and/or criticism for the situation. But I'm sorry, the amount of dogpiling happening in this thread is turning quite toxic to allow it to continue.
It's not dogpiling on you just to bully you. It's your unreasonable approach to the situation and the fact you won't take ownership of it. Take the criticism or don't.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 04-05-22, 02:48 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
A pity the OP deleted all his posts. That opening post must've been a real humdinger!
It was. It was also 8 million words long. From the responses you can sort of get the gist.
Likes For indyfabz: