Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Much New is Too Much for You?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How Much New is Too Much for You?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 05:26 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Is this what happens when you get old? I know a few old guys who actually look forward to the future and embrace new technology. They have an open-mind and I find it quite inspirational - unlike this kind of talk ^
I never said all new technology is bad...DID I? I guess the education in today's youth has overlooked reading comprehension.
Old 05-02-22, 07:42 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I don't know if anything is (or ever will be) settled, but upon learning about wireless dropper posts from a guy at the shop, I immediately saw the advantages and made plans to get one.
Yeah, I think I'll get that Rockshox Reverb AXS XPLOR or whatever it is. It comes in 27.2.
Old 05-02-22, 08:57 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Yeah, I think I'll get that Rockshox Reverb AXS XPLOR or whatever it is. It comes in 27.2.
I saw that, but I'll wait until I pull the trigger on a full AXS group. Maybe next year...
Old 05-03-22, 12:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I never said all new technology is bad...DID I? I guess the education in today's youth has overlooked reading comprehension.
It was more the negative vibe than the detail. To be honest your post was a bit TLDR so I didn't study it fully.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-03-22, 12:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It was more the negative vibe than the detail. To be honest your post was a bit TLDR so I didn't study it fully.
Yeah, you can stop reading as soon as you come to a sentence like this:
... back in the analog clock days all we did was reach for the stem knob on the clock, pull the stem and change the time ...

Back in my day, all we did was occasionally rotate the sundial on its base.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-03-22, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yeah, you can stop reading as soon as you come to a sentence like this:

Back in my day, all we did was occasionally rotate the sundial on its base.

Of all the things in the world to wax nostalgic on, My memory of analog clocks is mostly what a pain it was to take like a minute each to reset them every time DST started or ended. That could take a while, because there were a lot of clocks. Also, you had to call the number on the phone to get the correct time.
Old 05-03-22, 02:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I will use what works and makes a significant difference from what I have. For instance, I have nothing against disc brakes or electronic shifting per se. But, do I need either? Not really. If a bike I like comes with either/both I'd take it. OTOH, I just bought a 2016 GURU Photon that has Dura Ace 11sp mechanical and rim brakes and I absolutely love it.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-03-22, 03:21 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by bruce19
I will use what works and makes a significant difference from what I have. For instance, I have nothing against disc brakes or electronic shifting per se. But, do I need either? Not really. If a bike I like comes with either/both I'd take it. OTOH, I just bought a 2016 GURU Photon that has Dura Ace 11sp mechanical and rim brakes and I absolutely love it.

Yeah, I've had very few "dealbreaker" requirements or limitations. A few years ago I bought a tubed, rim brake gravel bike that continues to deliver tons of enjoyment. A more recent purchase has hydro discs, a dropper post, and tubeless tires, and I love it. Got my first thru-axle bike last summer, and I totally see the advantages. Two of my other bikes are rim brake singlespeeds; one of them even has 26" wheels.

All of my bikes are steel. All of them work well, and all of them are fun.

But going forward, I can only see buying contemporary components, as long as they are reasonably well-proven and not extravagantly expensive. Thru-axles, tubeless tires, hydraulic disc brakes, and dropper posts fit this description. It looks like they are all becoming standard issue anyway; I welcome the benefits and look forward to future refinements.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-03-22, 10:50 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I drive a rear wheel drive pick up here in Canada and never been stuck yet...Also no bluetooth and no power windows and no infotainment system to distract me.... I LOL at people who purchase 4x4 trucks with off road package and who never ever go off road..
And you know they never use the capability, ever, how? It must be nice to know what every other person needs in a vehicle and it is exactly what you need.
Old 05-03-22, 10:55 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by jackb
People who design products need something to do all day, so they work on new designs whether or not those designs are needed or not. As a result, our daily lives have become ever more complicated. My car has so many features that I don't even know what they all are. I see buttons to press whose purpose I've never bothered to look up in the manual. I have all kinds of messages popping up on various screens that take a long time to figure out how to turn off. Changing the time on the clock requires paging through the manual or getting on line. On my bikes, I never had any trouble figuring out how to fix or maintain things. Now I have to watch a number of videos to learn how to bleed hydraulic brakes. For me, as an older person, simpler is better in almost everything. All the innovations in bicycle development are truly unnecessary however advantageous they may be. Personally, I'd love to be able to easily buy a new bike with rim brakes, a quill stem, and components made of material that didn't require a torque wrench to adjust. Modern bikes are overall better than older bikes, but better is not always better.
And you know that nobody needs or wants these featues, how? You are convinced that because you don't want or need something that nobody does? Unfortunately for you (and me, I'm closer to your attitude than you think), the market is offering a bunch of features that people want that you and I do not. In manufacturing and product design, the market drives the features, and we "simpler-is-better" folks just don't command the market share to justfiy making stuff for us.

Fortunately, for example, most things with complicated features can also be operated at the most basic simple level. OTOH, it really is a shame if high quality rim brake bikes fade away. I've used hydraulic discs and they don't do enough for me to justify the hassle. But I still use them.
Old 05-03-22, 11:02 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Of all the things in the world to wax nostalgic on, My memory of analog clocks is mostly what a pain it was to take like a minute each to reset them every time DST started or ended. That could take a while, because there were a lot of clocks. Also, you had to call the number on the phone to get the correct time.
Anyone remember when you had to get some sort of "atomic clock" little program on your desktop computer to update the time accurately?
Old 05-04-22, 08:17 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
And you know that nobody needs or wants these featues, how? You are convinced that because you don't want or need something that nobody does? Unfortunately for you (and me, I'm closer to your attitude than you think), the market is offering a bunch of features that people want that you and I do not. In manufacturing and product design, the market drives the features, and we "simpler-is-better" folks just don't command the market share to justfiy making stuff for us.

Fortunately, for example, most things with complicated features can also be operated at the most basic simple level. OTOH, it really is a shame if high quality rim brake bikes fade away. I've used hydraulic discs and they don't do enough for me to justify the hassle. But I still use them.
I just reviewed my post and did not see anything in it that suggested that I believed that "nobody needs or wants these features." Nor did I see anything that would lead to you to state: "You are convinced that because you don't want or need something that nobody does."
Old 05-04-22, 09:56 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Anyone remember when you had to get some sort of "atomic clock" little program on your desktop computer to update the time accurately?
Or WWV and WWVH. 😊

Otto
Old 05-04-22, 11:28 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
No need to argue, persuade, or ridicule, btw -- we can all respect each other's preferences, right?
Yeah, but Bike Forums wouldn't be Bike Forum if we didn't argue, persuade, or ridicule.. And the website wouldn't even need to exist at all if we respected each other's preferences, now, would it?

Anyway, to answer your question.. This is what I see in front of me when I'm out driving:

I used to own a Peugeot 505 along with this 504 and that, with its electronic ignition and power steering and pushbutton-actuated climate control - not to mention the vast expanses of plastic everywhere - was just too modern for me, and that's why I never really took a liking to it and, when I eventually had to choose which one to keep, I kept the 504: ignition points, unassisted steering, and hang-on air conditioner (who remembers those?) And it used to run its factory four-speed manual transmission before I had it "upgraded," swapping in one of those new-fangled, ultramodern, bleeding-edge five-speeds that today's kids swear by (what's that all about, anyway? And have you heard about this new kind of transmission that can shift all by itself?) 😳

Thing is, I've always been a late adopter. Way back in the age of innocence in 2012, I found myself fighting tooth and nail for an excuse to not get me my first smartphone. 4G? 5G? GPS? Who needs those? I'm still using a Dell Latitude from 2011 that runs 1st-gen i7 with 512Mb nVidia graphics and a "fancy" back-lit keyboard.

When it comes to bike technology, I've only just taken delivery of my first Hollowtech II crankset and bottom bracket, and I ordered a cheap one off of Aliexpress as an exercise in toe dipping - and haven't even found the enthusiasm to install it yet!

With that said, I am all for innovation and cutting-edge technology that works. When I bought my Dahon Hemingway - my first and only bike with disk brakes - I did so not because I needed a new bike, but because it was being heavily discounted at the local sporting goods store and I saw that as an opportunity to dip my toes into this whole disk brake thing. I was so disappointed with the BB5, single-piston mechanicals that I actually briefly put the bike up for sale. Then I decided to go down the upgrade route and dip my toe (see a pattern yet?) in hydraulic disk brakes. A couple of hundred bucks and two Shimano four-piston calipers later, I'm perfectly happy. Twelve-speed is all the rage nowadays and there's some buzz about 13-speed becoming the new norm at the higher end in the foreseeable future, but I've only just started experimenting with 11-speed.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 05-04-22 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 11:37 PM
Rolla

I don't know sh¡t about cars.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-04-22, 11:43 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Easy - imagine a pair of bikes welded together side by side. Now imagine that somewhere in there there's a motor (not unlike that of a motorcycle - that's a bicycle with a motor) that goes buzzzzzzzz and the whole contraption - on all four wheels - starts moving along on its own, just nice.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 05-06-22 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 05-05-22, 12:27 AM
Rolla

Derp derpy derp derp
Old 05-05-22, 01:50 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Derp derpy derp derp
No, that would be a flying pod out of Futurama.

Going back to your pre-edit copy, though... It would've been easier to teach you 30 or 40 years ago, when most automakers didn't belong to some "group" and each automobile had its own, distinct appearance, character, personality. Now, though, with CAFE and NHTSA rules and "synergy"... Every street, every road, every highway is a river of sameness where even I, who used to be a dyed-in-the-wool car enthusiast and a once full-time auto mechanic, not only could no longer tell them apart, but lost interest altogether. All hope is lost for you, I'm afraid, my friend... 😟

Last edited by sjanzeir; 05-05-22 at 06:00 AM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 05-05-22, 05:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I'm still trying to find the dashboard clock on my bike.

I always find it funny and frustrating how many bf threads get diverted into extended car discussions.
Old 05-05-22, 06:45 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
A lot of bike people have some interesting cars.
Tim
Old 05-05-22, 10:45 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Thessalos
I like the full internal cable routing and disc brakes on a bicycle...
I like also the top tube to have a little sloping geometry but not to much as the mountain bikes... There is no reason for the last one, just for aesthetic reasons!
There's actually quite a significant benefit in a sloping top tube on road bikes. The frame tubes are shorter = stiffer and more durable. Also there's more seatpost exposed = more suspension effect. Add a flexy seatpost and you'll increase the comfort of a bike compared to a non sloping quite massively. And add traction to the rear tire when cornering.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 05-05-22, 11:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tkamd73
A lot of bike people have some interesting cars.
Tim

As far as I'm concerned, "interesting car" is an oxymoron. It's a bike forum, not forum about stuff lots of bike people have.
Old 05-05-22, 11:55 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by elcruxio
There's actually quite a significant benefit in a sloping top tube on road bikes. The frame tubes are shorter = stiffer and more durable. Also there's more seatpost exposed = more suspension effect. Add a flexy seatpost and you'll increase the comfort of a bike compared to a non sloping quite massively. And add traction to the rear tire when cornering.
And more clearance for your balls.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 05-06-22, 09:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
You should learn the basics, because if you dont you are going to get over charged at car repair stores.
Old 05-06-22, 12:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
How does a sloping top tube change the traction of a rear wheel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.