Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Needed The Fun - But Needed A Bigger Bike

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 11:56 AM
MarkInMilwaukee

Bikes: Bianchi Siena, Framed Twenty9er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm mostly a 1x7 city bike rider, but when I found out about the larger 29" BMX bikes I knew I was going to be out some cash. Picked up a Framed Twenty9er and for an older guy who has never owned a BMX bike, it was an amazing experience. I'm a large fellow, so riding a smaller model was not going to work but this bike is a great fit. It's currently upside down getting fitted with a new larger front sprocket and I'll also be custom fitting a rear derailleur so I can install a 3 sprocket freewheel, but I need to find the right short cage model so it's a trim fit. Having a blast on this bike!
Likes For MarkInMilwaukee:
Old 11-27-23, 05:40 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
When you get to 10 posts upload a few pics.... I can't wait to see the end result. ENJOY!!!
Old 11-27-23, 07:44 PM
MarkInMilwaukee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
When you get to 10 posts upload a few pics.... I can't wait to see the end result. ENJOY!!!
Thanks! I had no idea I'd enjoy it so much and Milwaukee is rich with bicycle access. Won't be long before I get 10 posts done and I'll certainly upload pics. Another thing I like about this is the ease of working on it because it's pretty straightforward. I did have to do some research to understand the BB on this one, though. If the bearing cups are tightened like a road bike, the spindle stops flat so that explains why they use a lock ring on the non-drive side. Hopefully there'll be a few more mild days so I can get some more riding in before the proper Wisconsin winter makes its appearance.
Old 11-30-23, 12:12 PM
MarkInMilwaukee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow, that was a difficult freewheel to remove. When I finally removed it sure enough, dry as a bone on the threads. Believe I'll put some anti-seize on the new one. One thing I really like about the Park FR-6 is that it's pretty wide and there was room to install the axle nut over the tool to keep in it place while putting pressure on with a 1" socket. Otherwise, it was like trying to wrestle a greased pig. It took a considerable amount of torque to remove, including leaning up against the wall, pressing the tire down into the carpet and using my foot to rotate the 1/2" drive ratchet. I'm guessing it was about 100 ft/lb to coax it off. So here's the tool with the axle nut keeping it in place which made the job much easier. I guess I should add the axle nut should only be used to just break the freewheel loose, then remove the axle nut to continue the process:

And because no living room or kitchen should be left without a project underway, LOL...

I also went to work on the Avid manual disc brake, because it was always squawking. Turns out it needed some spacing to move the entire assembly inboard. Now I can finally adjust the caliper and get better braking... but this is my first disc brake experience and I have to say that this one is pretty weak. It came without a front brake so I installed an old school C brake on the front. It's definitely light-duty but it greatly shortened braking distances.

This is my first time encountering rims with a groove in the middle, so it might not be legit to use a friction brake on them. I'm sure others with more experience could let me know. The 3-speed freewheel and rear short cage derailleur will be showing up soon and I'll share a few pictures as I get that installed.