Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Collection Reduction Support/Encouragement/Accountability thread!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Collection Reduction Support/Encouragement/Accountability thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 03:05 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Did the triage. Made the decisions. Severed the "connections". Accepted the market realities, wasn't ever wanting/expecting profit.

That was the easy part . . . getting rid of my early purchases/mistakes without them ending up in the landfill/scrap yard, has turned out to be more difficult. I don't throw things away, I bring things home others did. I re-use/re-purpose to the point of absurdity, but I am starting to wonder if I am past that point? If no one wants them and I can't honestly recommend taking them, what am I saving?
  • Local bike shop (does vintage) - Not interested (asked me to help with their beaters)
  • Goodwill - Not interested (too scrappy/incomplete)
  • Neighbor's/Friends - Not interested - Can't blame them, my honest advice would be get something else (in this buyers market)
  • Co-op - don't have a "local" and from what I have found and others are reporting, likely not interested. Also don't have a way to transport, so unless the have a "guy with a mini-van" who makes pick-ups? I am out of luck
  • I have also done Free and very cheap ads on Craigslist - No Interest - over a few months
  • Multiple posts here on BF - Theoretically the perfect target audience?

Posts with free bikes:
https://www.bikeforums.net/23183484-post6471.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/23178769-post1602.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/23178778-post1603.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/23176839-post1596.html

C&V Beginner?
Art Project?
Welding practice?
Painting practice?

In honor of @AdventureManCO I am thinking I might add my "Jungle Junker" to the mix to sweeten the pot, but based on his experience trying to get rid of much nicer bikes, I can't see where it would make a difference?

If anyone in the LA area would like a pile of stuff FREE, come on down, I have additional parts I can dig up, I might give away or sell for a song, if you need them. Work or volunteer at a co-op, that would want these? Send me a message, maybe I can figure out a way to get them there?
I have started working my way into the porta-shed and begun to clean and build some more giveaway bikes. It takes some doing to build up as Frankenbikes that look okay but anything that clears stuff out is a good thing.

I give them to students who are always flabbergasted they are free. It also helps me to clear component overages.

Latest

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-20-24, 05:10 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Guys, you are all doing great work! Keep it up!

One of the biggest hurdles for me was something a few of you had mentioned. Namely, the mental barrier of sending something to the scrapper that we still see value in. That value is strictly in the hardlined utilitarian sense of a bicycle - something you can ride, a means of transportation, a form of healthy exercise. All good things!

But some of these are projects that are not rideable as-is, and while they could be, we (as in: you) are probably the only one in the entire world that may have an interest in doing so. And if you have had the project for a long time and haven't yet completed it, then there is little chance that someone else will.

Now obviously this applies mainly to low-tier and some mid-tier vintage bicycles. High-tier gets a strong 'pass' as there is usually always someone interested in a 'paddling upstream' type of project, because the ends are worth the means.

I'm still curious enough about the Gitane, that I think I want to keep it around, but I'm getting comfortable w/ the idea of getting rid of my other French bikes.

The 'fire drill' routine is a a great mental exercise to try for yourself. It goes like this:

A fire is coming through and you need to get out fast. However, the family is already out, the pets are out, and your wife grabbed the photo album and the important documents. You estimate you've got enough time to quickly toss 4-5 bikes out of the basement/garage/living room (ha!) before the fire engulfs everything. Which do you grab? My list goes something like...Huffente, green Trek, the Midget, the 990, the 750...okay okay, and maybe a couple of frames

I come out of that exercise more surprised by the bikes that my brain didn't automatically choose, moreso than the ones it did.

In other 'bike reduction' news, I'm setting up the Midget for my son, since he has expressed a bit of an interest in riding some of my road bikes as of late, and I really want to respond to that interest! The Midget is the smallest 'true' road bike I have (around 49cm), and fighting the urge to keep the bike for myself rather than set it up for him tells me that he should love it - it is a really, really good bike. It rides so well, and feels way faster than it should, for its weight. So I can't think of a better experience to get him hooked on biking.

I haven't checked mail for a while, but I'm thinking I could have a check in there that may cover the shipping for a few bikes, and that means a few more will be leaving!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-20-24, 07:08 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Last summer I gave away (not scrapped) my very much loved 1972 Mercedes Benz 220D. I had owned the car only a week or so shy of ten years. Driven it across the continent ocean to ocean and border to border numerous times. That was "the last car I was going to own." Salt on northeast roads turned her into a Flintstones mobile and she took up too much room in the garage, not moving for a year. I didn't have space and certainly don't have the electrical service to push a welder in this old 1924 row home. The car had been up for sale since 2018, first at $6000, then $3000, $2000, $600 and finally free. She languished for a while at the free mark, maybe 8 months, until a guy who works on these old Benzes came and hauled her away. That entire time I would not let her be scrapped and gave her away to a person who would use and utilize the extra parts I kicked in, instead of taking the $400 for scrap value. I digress. It's hard getting rid of these objects we often times bleed into.
Phil
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 03-20-24, 08:24 PM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Guys, you are all doing great work! Keep it up!
The 'fire drill' routine is a a great mental exercise to try for yourself. It goes like this:

A fire is coming through and you need to get out fast. However, the family is already out, the pets are out, and your wife grabbed the photo album and the important documents. You estimate you've got enough time to quickly toss 4-5 bikes out of the basement/garage/living room (ha!) before the fire engulfs everything. Which do you grab? My list goes something like...Huffente, green Trek, the Midget, the 990, the 750...okay okay, and maybe a couple of frames
Help, our house is on fire - quick - spray the bikes!!!

Ya got the right priorities, wrong approach...
Old 03-20-24, 08:46 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by NVFlinch
Help, our house is on fire - quick - spray the bikes!!!

Ya got the right priorities, wrong approach...
LOL good man. It was a test!

You passed

Old 03-21-24, 06:35 AM
kani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I too have realized I have too many bikes and too many frames (between 10 and 30 bikes depending on how complete it needs to be to be considered a bike), and I too have fallen for the temptation of opportunistic buying. I have started to try to get rid of the bikes that don’t excite me anymore and I only buy new bikes if they are cooler than what I already have, or if I can use their parts to complete some of my unfinished bikes. The advantage of always getting something better is that each bike increases the standard of the collection and suddenly some of the bikes you thought you could never get rid of don’t seem so unobtainable anymore. Good luck😊
Likes For kani:
Old 03-21-24, 09:31 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
This thread has been inspirational, well more of a reminder to get off my butt and sell some stuff.

Sold 1 1/2 bikes the past few weeks. Sold the New Albion Privateer in an hour after I listed it.I guess I asked too little.

Sold the Sram 7 speed IGH wheels and shifters off my Kabuki. The buyer only wanted the drivetrain because the bike was too big for. Luckily I kept the original parts and will built it up and sell it again.

This gets me down from 6 to 4 which I can live with, but the Mercian may eventually go if I can get a decent price for it.

Kinda fun simplifying.
Old 03-21-24, 12:22 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
For me, there's only one "fire drill bike": the first good bike I ever bought, an '87 Bianchi that since been Gugified. There are others that I like, but that's the one. Any other time in this mental exercise goes to grabbing camera equipment, slides, and hard drives.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 03-21-24, 09:31 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Kobe

Kinda fun simplifying.

This right here really hits home for me. I think this is the point. The point is to enjoy this hobby, yes? To have fun? To allow it to keep us in good physical and mental health? Yes!

When I have 4-6 projects all languishing, its really hard to do that. Number one, there is no way you can phyically benefit, because the bikes are in pieces, and second, there is a lot of mental disorganization in this. I'm a naturally disorganized person, so having multiple project is a bad thing. I do NOT want to be that guy that holds on to a project for 30 years, then never finishes it and then I die. Nope.

On that not, I got a yellow cable kit and chain in, which means I can FINALLY finish the Jungle Junker Allez. I just need to put it together. I save the yellow bar tape (its in OK shape), I found a decent set of 600 levers at the co-op to match the other 600 stuff on the bike, and in a weekend, it should be ready to rock!

Plus, I went for a bike ride today, and the son really wanted to try out another vintage bike with pedal cages. I think they really fascinate him. He loves trying new things and wants to practice something until he becomes proficient. So, I lowered the seatpost on the blue PXN-10, and let him go to town. I hopped on the Trek 600, and we both went riding. He got to also try out friction shifting for the first time. This is what it's all about. Since these smaller 52-53cm bikes seems to *barely* fit him, I'm going to not immediately get rid of them, but my hope is to build them up (the Gitane, the PXN-10 *which still needs drivetrain reburbing*, the Midget Miyata) and just sort of see what he likes. Right now, his main bike is a Specialized Crossroads, which honestly is a GREAT bike, and can really grow with him, but who am I to stop him new found love of ancient, crusty vintage road bikes??

So for now, I'm going to leave the 52-53cm stuff alone, and maybe just focus on the 'my size' stuff. The 60s PX-10...it's probably going to go. It is a GREAT riding bike, and one of the bikes that first got me into this hobby, but maybe someone else could enjoy it more. I'm going to build up the green 1979 Trek 930 w/ all Campy and test it out against the 1983 Trek 600 (a Clang find) and may the best bike win.

I also would like to get the Sport Racer built back up, but the Midget and the Allez are the priority right now. The Huffente is also going through a bit of a makeover right now, but that is more Area 51 type stuff to be revealed at a later time. Regarding the Allez and the Sport Racer, I'm pretty interested to see how the 55cm size stacks up against the other rides. Maybe it will be the goldilocks size for me.

Keep up the great work, everyone. You guys are doing great.

Old 03-23-24, 01:29 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Kinda fun simplifying.
It is. And I know the wallet likes it as well.

@AdventureManCO I am now thinking of aiming for two, if not one final bike now. Combining capability, comfort, and speed--a second pass at what I did during 2020 when I was furloughed, only even more betterer. This means I get to build and rebuild bikes again (finally!), which I've been dying to do. Yes, more bikes out means yet more leaning on the Portland+ market for tall bike buyers, but there might be some flexibility to meet others halfway. The Final Bike (Again) would be as I believe I wrote earlier, my '85 620. It is perfectly functional and very capable as is, but I have this Di2 groupset that I like a lot (and would like to keep using) and am thinking a Wolf Tooth Road Link coupled with a converted-to-long-cage Di2 rear derailleur and that HG800 11-34t 11-speed cassette that fits on a 8-10-speed freehub would keep it extremely capable while also mazing out on the crazy factor. From 620 to Super 620 to Superest 620, or something like that. 36-34 low combo, 53-11 high combo.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-23-24, 03:55 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel

@AdventureManCO I am now thinking of aiming for two, if not one final bike now. Combining capability, comfort, and speed--a second pass at what I did during 2020 when I was furloughed, only even more betterer. This means I get to build and rebuild bikes again (finally!), which I've been dying to do. Yes, more bikes out means yet more leaning on the Portland+ market for tall bike buyers, but there might be some flexibility to meet others halfway. The Final Bike (Again) would be as I believe I wrote earlier, my '85 620. It is perfectly functional and very capable as is, but I have this Di2 groupset that I like a lot (and would like to keep using) and am thinking a Wolf Tooth Road Link coupled with a converted-to-long-cage Di2 rear derailleur and that HG800 11-34t 11-speed cassette that fits on a 8-10-speed freehub would keep it extremely capable while also mazing out on the crazy factor. From 620 to Super 620 to Superest 620, or something like that. 36-34 low combo, 53-11 high combo.

You are a better man than I, especially after my next update to come!

Old 03-23-24, 04:08 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Well folks, I've had my first relapse.

I was browsing around (fun to do), and lo and behold, a Trek 970 pops up and I see the ad literally 1 minute after it is posted. It is the price of a few Starbucks drinks and tips - I would be an absolute DUMMY for not picking it up. I even announced to the wife "Yeah I'm picking up a bike!". She just sort of chuckled, but she knows I've gotten rid of a lot, so its all good.

Owner was cool, we chatted bikes and bike carriers for a while. I actually gave him a bit more than he was asking, since it is tough to find great people to deal with, and I want to really appreciate those transactions.

I have a '96 Trek 990, which was the highest end Trek steel mtb in the catalog, and I've always wondered how one of the lugged versions would compare. For a while, I had a (I think?) 1992 Trek 990 in a large (23"?) size that I sold for a non-profit, but seeing as how the fit was so big, I never got a really great feel for the bike (although I did get a feel for the stock suspension fork, back when suspension was sort of new - it was a pogo stick!) and didn't keep it that long - the day I posted it for sale, I got over 20 emails!

Anyway, what is cool about this one is it is also a 16.5" frame, exactly like my 990, but even cooler - it is a '93, which is the best year for these lugged Treks, as they have a slightly wider spaced headtube (which I didn't realize), and came with a threadless fork.

The thing is almost cherry, and even came w/ a pair of Ringle Holey ti-Stix, so technically the bike should be more than free by the time we're done.

I know. I know. I have taken a step backward. But. I'm also going to be moving two bikes this weekend, and if those *officially* leave my possession, I'll still be down -1 bike this weekend. However, in the interest of transparancy, and to my slight embarassment (not really, no shame!), here is where I stand:

Bikes: 17
Frames: 3
Most recent purchase: 3/23/24

Annnnnnnnd...here she is in all her glory:

You can see I'm continuing my cherished tradition of buying 'too small' bikes
Old 03-23-24, 05:27 PM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
LOL, great thread, and one I too can relate to. I picked up a weird Saronni off a guy in a neighbouring city a couple years ago, and he said he had some 'other stuff' I might like, but never heard from him until I saw an ad for an interesting South African Alpina in my size, same guy selling. I called my 'facilitator' and bought, then he said he had a weird mystery bike that he's also selling, so of course I had to see it, and wound up grabbing it as well. Then a week later he messages me that he's moving out of town and has one more bike, plus a Campy Touring groupset for sale. You can guess what happened: the other bike turned out to be a super cool Colner in my size, so now my buddy's living room is full of my new stuff. Then my 'chief facilitator', who lives closer to me, picks up everything, and for a joke sends me a photo of them heaving my stuff in to a dumpster. Just about had a heart attack. Now I've got to downsize, since this is the scene in the 'bike bunker'......
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 03-24-24, 06:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
@Mr. Spadoni, I clamped my Super Course frame in the vise that way to spread the dropouts. Then my BB didn't thread in, and I had to have the threads chased. I'm not predicting anything with your frame. Maybe I did something wrong.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-24-24, 06:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Has this thread helped anyone control their collecting impulses?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-24-24, 06:12 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Originally Posted by noglider
Actually, yes and no...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-24-24, 09:29 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
It has me, a bike I had tried to buy a couple years ago was just relisted at only $5 more than what I had originally offered him, he had listed it as "make offer". I made what I thought was a fair offer based on what the bike was and it's condition which he rather rudely turned without making a counter offer. He later relisted it with a totally absurd price, about 4 months ago he dropped the price to 25% of his asking price and last night he dropped that price by another 40%. It's well worth the current price just in parts but... parts I have, room I don't.

Another bike I had been looking for just popped up locally in my size. Priced too high but I'm confident it will sit on Marketplace quite a while until the seller comes to his senses and knocks it down to a reasonable price. Then somebody will snag it but that somebody will not be yours truly.

Why am I looking you ask? To see what the local market is doing for my own inventory reduction attempts. In the past week there have suddenly been truckloads of parts/project bikes and parts listed. Some are for insane prices and some at scrap prices or outright free and there were a couple others that would have had me already in the car to pick them up just a few weeks ago. Now all I see is competition for getting rid of some of mine.

I'm going to check a few of mine today to see if they can take 700 X 32, 35 or 38 tires. If they can't they are OUTTA here!

Tried selling my "knee recovery" bike for a couple weeks and it didn't even get any looks at the ad, probably because people just saw another old Traveler not what had been done to it and being a "belly button" bike there are lots of these on marketplace for MUCH less. Of course all those need a hundred dollars minumum to make them functional again and mine was ready to roll with upgrades but non-bike people don't see that. It's a sweet ride and the paint is really nice but I no longer need it and I have better uses for the 700c wheels and 35mm Kenda Kwests so it will either get downgraded or parted out and the frame given away, the latter being the most likely scenario.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-24-24 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-24-24, 10:18 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I think downsizing is more complicated than one thinks because there are good deals that you can't pass up.I have given back then two months ago bikes , one that was a gitane prologue equipped with105sc and dura ace to a neighbour because he helped me and a luis ocana made of vitus 972 tubing equipped with 105sc and weinmann brakes to my bike tech because it occupied space in my garage and because he often offers me fair prices on my bike assembly projects. He gave it to one of his customers who is delighted to ride with it. I might add another columbus genius frame if it isn't sold .
Old 03-24-24, 10:25 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Next project is to build and sell two Cannondales at reasonable prices. One is a mint/near mint mint green SR 400 (1987) with everything intact. The other is maybe a 1992 SR 600 with alloy fork. Some underside scrapes. Going to market both as slight retromod and freshly refurbished Tribike potentials.

Then build the AD SLE up and see what interest that generates locally since nobody wants it here...maybe even with the bronze 600ex parts I have posted here. Might be cool. I guess if someone wanted the parts I could send along the frame.

Also need to find a good home for the lovely 54 cm Tri A. Multi Track might be a build and giveaway to a friend or something.

Last edited by jdawginsc; 03-24-24 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-24-24, 03:11 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Actually, yes and no...

Accurate!

Old 03-24-24, 03:31 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Silly, it is just to free up space for some higher end stuff obviously.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 03-25-24, 08:24 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel

@AdventureManCO. This means I get to build and rebuild bikes again (finally!), which I've been dying to do. Yes, more bikes out means yet more leaning on the Portland+ market for tall bike buyers, but there might be some flexibility to meet others halfway.
I am so glad I am on the other coast. I am your size and seeing some of your builds listed(yes, I still look) would make me relapse.
Old 03-25-24, 10:43 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
@Mr. Spadoni, I clamped my Super Course frame in the vise that way to spread the dropouts. Then my BB didn't thread in, and I had to have the threads chased. I'm not predicting anything with your frame. Maybe I did something wrong.
Oh, if you’d just left me out of this. My next task is to get paint off a shifter boss before I can’t mount a lever. Probably wouldn’t have been a problem but then my name was mentioned and the jinx was in.
Old 03-25-24, 12:22 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I am so glad I am on the other coast. I am your size and seeing some of your builds listed(yes, I still look) would make me relapse.
Well thank you! I just floated a down-to-one-bike theory that will be "at best" two bikes as of now. Gotta keep the big black 620 as is, which means the Di2 is going on a different Trek now, thanks to a minor component swap for testing purposes that went very well. It will basically look like a Big Boy CX bike. It'll be pretty wild, but also...aesthetically coherent, which will still surprise me. I'm excited.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 03-25-24 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-25-24, 05:30 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
One of the biggest hurdles for me was (is)......... the mental barrier of sending something to the scrapper that we still see value in.
Yep, that's it in a nut shell. That's how I was raised, my parents both went through the Great Depression and they didn't throw things away when they got broken or were wearing out they fixed them until they just couldn't be fixed any more, only then were they replaced. It's hard living in a "disposable society" when you've been brought up that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.