Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Visually Impaired Riders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Visually Impaired Riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 02:18 AM
ThatOtherGuyAus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I know this is a grave dig, but the forum is the only place that came up in my search that had useful information about vision impaired riders. I am after some advice or tips about riding with a vision impaired rider. I have recently volunteered to chaperone a vision impaired ride for a fun ride, he will be riding a tricycle, I will be riding my own bike. The rider has a glaucoma issue so limited sight in terms of being able to see shapes, light, and dark. My question is basically what recommendations would you make in helping him ride. I want this to be a joyful experience for him without me being a mother hen to him. I want him to have the freedom that comes with riding without being fearful, or having an accident. We haven't met yet, this Saturday is our first practice ride together, but I thought if I could pick the brains of others to get some ideas and tips it might help us to formulate a strategy.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-23, 02:29 PM
RavenMLS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Legally blind/visually impaired

Originally Posted by Taz
I am interested in hearing from riders who have low vision and are considered legally blind.

I would like to know a little about your visual impairment and how you ride with your impairment?
hello! I have been riding solo for over a year and I am visually impaired in 1 eye and legally blind in the other. Here in FL you must have at least 20/40vision in your best eye in order to be able to ride/drive. I barely make it and have to go for testing since a year in order to keep driving/riding. Other folks here comment on how they ride but cannot drive? I imagine it must be allowed for riders to not need a DL, here in FL it is not possible....unless you're doing it on the sly...haha. 20/200 with the best aid you use (glasses, contacts, etc) is what the government considers legally blind, or at least that's the best info I have from official channels. I m more confident riding than driving. I used to ride in 2 when I had both eyes, now I ride on 3 but I don't mind too awful much. You get used to it, and it is quite enjoyable. Safe travels!
Old 12-05-23, 09:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
My vision is dreadful, used to cheat on all the vision tests in school (didn’t understand that it was for me, just wanted to do good on the test) so I wasn’t flagged as needing glasses. Got glasses as an adult but the contrast between being with and without is too much for me so I keep them in a drawer if I need to measure things. I get by just fine on the road, most things are huge and having them blurry doesn’t matter. I can still see potholes and cracks luckily but I’m used to looking for them so that helps.

I have superb hearing and use it a lot when making turns or going into traffic. I rely on it a lot and think headphones, even those bone ones or whatever, are super dangerous

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 12-05-23 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-08-23, 11:07 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Had DMV on the phone once for almost 15 minutes asking if the driver's test was given in Brail (It was really slow in the winter), I also rode blind folded around Prospect Park, one of the scariest things I've ever done.
Old 12-08-23, 02:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by RavenMLS
Here in FL you must have at least 20/40vision in your best eye in order to be able to ride....
This is interesting and unusual, though I've been unable to confirm. Maybe you'll share a link?
Old 12-08-23, 10:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Erstwhile LBS owner: https://www.cycleworks.bike/about
Old 12-08-23, 11:50 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
I believe the definitions of "legally" blind varies somewhat. The causes of sight degradation are many and varied, as are the problems that result. I have heard it is possible in some jurisdictions, to have a driving license while legally blind....
That would be scary!
Thankfully, you heard wrong, at least in US one must have a 20/40 vision and 70 degrees field of view to get a driver’s license.
Old 03-26-24, 04:49 AM
windycityretina

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm curious to hear from riders with low vision or who are legally blind. If you're comfortable sharing, I'd love to know more about your visual impairment and how you navigate riding with it.

Looking forward to your insights!

Best regards,
Ankit Desai