Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tinnitus sufferers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tinnitus sufferers

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 06:52 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugspit
Long time sufferer of tinnitus, which I fail to understand since I’ve always been an avid earplug wearer but 30 yrs of manufacturing I guess that’s the consequence.
More likely simply genetics and general decline with age. I'm guessing you've carried that pesky Y chromosome around since conception?

Too it's commonplace for damage to occur from prolonged high ambient noise simply through bone conduction. What we perceive as sound is the effect of pressure waves on our bodies. What gets translated as sound in our brains comes largely from our ears yet a significant amount of damage can take place in our ear structures even with hearing protection in place because those waves are impacting the bones in our heads. Those pressure waves are insidious, doing damage while we believe we're protecting our hearing all the while.

(Know anyone who's a pistol or rifle shooter? You find that they're more likely to hear what you're telling them when you're on their 'good ear's' side?)

What’s more frustrating is even with wearing custom earplugs AND earmuffs when using loud equipment, mower, blower, skilsaw whatever, the ringing gets louder.
Now THAT'S interesting, I've never encountered someone telling me that.

For decades I've been able to 'hear' my pulse rate underneath the ever-present tinnitus. When ambient noise is fairly high both tend to get masked when I''m not wearing hearing protection. With my hearing aids in my pulse is obvious yet the tinnitus diminishes markedly, lends credence to the theory it's your brain trying to make up for the loss of 'signal' from your ears' 'receivers' that've suffered damage or simply decline from age.

Oh, and if anyone is thinking of trying mustard oil or any other natural oil mix they didn’t work for me.
Like snake oil maybe?

I've yet to encounter anyone who's attempted such so-called 'treatments' tell me that they've had any success. Click-bait has many forms you know....

Last edited by spclark; 11-27-23 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-27-23, 08:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
FWIW, pieces of cotton balls in the ears really reduces wind noise for me. I collect more out of pill bottles than I use.

On a side note, I was on a VTC last week and one of the participants was complaining about an intermittent, high pitched whine on the line. After a couple others confirmed it, I put in a plug FOR tinnitus -- I couldn't hear a thing!
Old 11-27-23, 09:11 AM
Bugspit
NoElectricAssist

Bikes: 2018 ICE SprintX w/Schlumpf 2.5 speed drive. 2020 Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
More likely simply genetics and general decline with age.

Im pretty sure my loss and ringing is from early hunting years, motorcycling and manufacturing environment, even though I was a loyal earplug wearer. Even at music concerts I’m wearing earplugs. Weird.

(Know anyone who's a pistol or rifle shooter? You find that they're more likely to hear what you're telling them when you're on their 'good ear's' side?)

I definitely have a one good ear and I need to see your lips move to fully understand what’s being said. The covid mask mandate debacle was/is very frustrating.

Now THAT'S interesting, I've never encountered someone telling me that.

My Audiologist was baffled too. I quit riding motorcycles because of it, even with a helmet, windscreen and earplugs the ringing increased.
It sucks.
Old 11-29-23, 12:15 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the Cat Ears off Amazon last week. Got them today, already on my helmet. I guess I'll find out and report the results after Ironman 70.3 on Sunday.

Back to the subject at hand, in a way, it's nice to know I'm not alone with my symptoms. My hearing is actually pretty good when it comes to one-on-one conversations. But put me in a room with a lot of background conversation or ambient noise, and I can't understand <poop>. And I don't know if this is related or something totally different, but my echolocation is garbage now too. Once again, especially when there is background noise. I can hear noises but have absolutely no idea from which direction they're coming.
Old 11-29-23, 06:07 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I went ahead and ordered the Cat Ears off Amazon last week.
I put a pair on my list to Santa; too dang cold to ride here but they'll be on my straps come spring!

My hearing is actually pretty good when it comes to one-on-one conversations.
You're lucky!

Mixed company too? Typically our loss is concentrated in a range of frequencies centered around that of most female humans' speech. There's a colloquial term for it, my audiologist chuckled when I first raised the issue: marital deafness.

But put me in a room with a lot of background conversation or ambient noise, and I can't understand <poop>. And I don't know if this is related...
It is, trust me.

Lower frequencies get absorbed by surroundings, it's the higher range that gets reflected. Think about how bats use it as an example.
Old 11-29-23, 09:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Just wondering who else has tinnitus and does riding aggravate it.
yes
not that I can tell
Old 11-29-23, 09:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
And I don't know if this is related or something totally different, but my echolocation is garbage now too.
Batgirl, is that you?
Old 11-29-23, 12:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Old 11-29-23, 07:01 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I've had tinnitus for about 15 years now and wind noise definitely makes mine worse. Unfortunately, I've read that ear plugs or in-ear headphones both contribute to causing tinnitus. I've tried the Cat ears and they made a very minor improvement for me. They used to make a triangular shaped cover that went over your ears for winter use and I found that was much better in reducing wind noise but too hot if it's not below 60 or so.
Old 12-03-23, 03:46 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I've had tinnitus forever; I hear a chorus of electronic tones in the key of C. It doesn't go away, so it's actually pretty easy for me to tune out. I haven't noticed wind noise making it worse, but it is irritating so I crocheted some ear warmers. I've played with the pattern over the years and can make them in a variety of yarns, my favorite being a thin cotton/acrylic blend that breathes pretty well. What I love is that they block 80% of wind noise while still being able to hear what's going on around me.

I use buttons now instead of ties.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-04-23, 07:32 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Korina, those are clever. Wondering if wool yard will better protect against the inevitable stink from sweat, or perhaps that is not an issue.
Old 12-05-23, 12:29 AM
VegasJen

Korina, those are pretty nice solution! I like a lot.

Update for others. I did buy the Cat Ears and use them on my helmet for yesterday's 70.3 in Indian Wells. Have to be honest, I really didn't notice a huge difference. I would say the wind noise was quieter, but not significantly. I won't take them off or say they don't work. It just didn't cut out as much as I hoped.
Old 12-05-23, 02:27 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Korina, those are clever. Wondering if wool yard will better protect against the inevitable stink from sweat, or perhaps that is not an issue.
Wool, of course, is great. Two caveats; it will felt over time (unless you use superwash wool) and it's warm. It's supremely breathable, but definitely warm. I've made a couple pair with fingering/sock weight superwash, which is fairly fine, but it hasn't been cold enough yet to try them. FYI the cotton/acrylic can be thrown in the washer and dryer. I may not ride enough, but for me it takes awhile for the stank to show up. Fortunately for me I have all the spares.

Korina, those are pretty nice solution! I like a lot.
Thanks! Sorry your wind blockers didn't work.

Hey, if either of you want to try a pair, I have a bagful but not that much interest here. I'd be happy to send anyone a pair for $10 plus postage. PM me. If this is allowed.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-10-24, 06:40 PM
Eddy_G 

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Salsa Journeyman Apex

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I saw a review in which the reviewer states that the design of your helmet can have an affect on how effective the cat ears are.
Specifically, that some helmets hang the straps from further away from the side of your head, while others allow the straps to almost lay flat against the side of your head right below the helmet and in front of your ears.
The closer to the side of your head, the more effective cat ears will be.
Wearing your glasses on the outside of the helmet straps helps a lot.

I have no personal experience to judge this by. I have a set of cat ears arriving later this week.
Whenever the temperature rises back to my comfort zone here, I'll finally get to do my own test.
Elvis style.
Likes For Eddy_G:
Old 01-10-24, 11:53 PM
VegasJen

I can believe that about strap location. Seems all my helmets, the straps come away from the side of my head. But that's mostly because I have an odd shaped head. Sucks to be me.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 01-11-24, 12:34 AM
Ssj

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I always wear a thin headband that covers my ears. It’s from Gore and thin like jersey fabric.

I used cat ears and another version of it before. They work great, but looked horrible and collected too much sweat.
Old 01-11-24, 01:40 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
My brother is forever obsessed with tinnitus and doesn’t go to music shows without headphones. I learned my lesson a long time ago, and prefer to change tubes with ear protection on.

vegasjen is prob my favorite poster here, not that it matters.

Vegas I bet you will wreck the other friathalons in the long run, they won’t last but you will.
Old 01-11-24, 07:13 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ssj

I used cat ears and another version of it before. They work great, but looked horrible
I like the "Elvis Impersonator" look.
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 01-13-24, 04:32 AM
Sapper69
Brisvegas roadie

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9 (SRAM Red-22), 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0 (SRAM Red 10-speed mix), 2013 Pinarello FP Uno (Campagnolo Athena 11-speed), 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro (Shimano 105 10-speed), 2009 Colnago EPS (dream build, under construction!)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I have had persistent tinnitus since I went through chemo some 13 years ago. Chemo, along with Vancomycin, which I have also had, are known ototoxins. One thing I've noticed is that wind noise tends to be an aggravating factor. I know it's frowned upon, but I often ride with ear buds and an MP3 player. I use it as much to dampen the wind noise while riding as for the music. Rode this morning, but even as I sit here tonight typing out this post, both my ears are ringing with a near deafening tone.

The irony is that, even though the ringing never fully goes away, when the nerves are calm and the ringing is at a minimum, I have surprisingly good hearing.

Just wondering who else has tinnitus and does riding aggravate it.
I have pretty severe tinnitus but I find the opposite. Something about being out in the fresh air, the rhythms of pedalling and tyres on the road surface, other natural sounds around me, physical exercise etc, totally distract me from the tinnitus, so it's actually a good form of relief. For me, tinnitus is at its worst when I'm in a totally quiet environment with no other distractions.
Likes For Sapper69:
Old 01-13-24, 08:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapper69
I have pretty severe tinnitus but I find the opposite. Something about being out in the fresh air, the rhythms of pedalling and tyres on the road surface, other natural sounds around me, physical exercise etc, totally distract me from the tinnitus, so it's actually a good form of relief. For me, tinnitus is at its worst when I'm in a totally quiet environment with no other distractions.
Same for me, I could not have said it better.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-14-24, 12:36 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
My brother is forever obsessed with tinnitus and doesn’t go to music shows without headphones. I learned my lesson a long time ago, and prefer to change tubes with ear protection on.

vegasjen is prob my favorite poster here, not that it matters.

Vegas I bet you will wreck the other friathalons in the long run, they won’t last but you will.
Thank you for that. I'm flattered and have no idea what I have done to deserve such recognition. I'm really not here that much anyway.
Originally Posted by Sapper69
It is interesting how each of us experience it differently. I have yet to figure out all of the various triggers for me, but certainly a few. Sadly, I have found the only relief seems to be a good night sleep to allow the nerves to "reset".
Old 01-14-24, 05:37 AM
Sapper69
Brisvegas roadie

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9 (SRAM Red-22), 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0 (SRAM Red 10-speed mix), 2013 Pinarello FP Uno (Campagnolo Athena 11-speed), 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro (Shimano 105 10-speed), 2009 Colnago EPS (dream build, under construction!)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Thank you for that. I'm flattered and have no idea what I have done to deserve such recognition. I'm really not here that much anyway.

It is interesting how each of us experience it differently. I have yet to figure out all of the various triggers for me, but certainly a few. Sadly, I have found the only relief seems to be a good night sleep to allow the nerves to "reset".
I can definitely relate to your comments about tinnitus at its worst when your nervous system is firing. I have a CNS injury, accounting for my tinnitus, chronic insomnia etc. Thinking more about wind noise, perhaps subconsciously for me the wind noise while I'm riding is possibly just the right frequency white noise to cancel out my tinnitus. In any case, being out on the road is where I hardly notice my tinnitus at all.
Old 01-15-24, 11:27 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
same for me, i could not have said it better.
+1
Old 01-15-24, 04:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
I can believe that about strap location. Seems all my helmets, the straps come away from the side of my head. But that's mostly because I have an odd shaped head. Sucks to be me.
Give it another try adjusting at least the front straps to be as tight to your face as you can get. That is the only way Cat ears or a similar product will be effective. My wife also has tinnitus and uses Cat ears and says that the reduction in wind noise is about 50% which is substantial. She also tightened her straps way down. Good luck

Old 01-15-24, 04:49 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by rsbob
Give it another try adjusting at least the front straps to be as tight to your face as you can get. That is the only way Cat ears or a similar product will be effective. My wife also has tinnitus and uses Cat ears and says that the reduction in wind noise is about 50% which is substantial. She also tightened her straps way down. Good luck
Ya, I probably should spend more time with stuff like that. I'm pretty bad about getting certain things "close enough".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.