Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 06:19 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
yup a cager got me when I was riding on the sidewalk about a year ago. I knew he didn't see me (didn't even look in my direction) and saw my line closing, so I decided to send it rather than wait. Was a poor choice. If I was riding in the road he would have been more likely to see me.
You got hit by a basketball player?
Old 04-21-22, 06:34 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Folks like absolutes--never ride on sidewalk, never run stop sign, always take the lane, yada yada yada

Geez! I don't usually ride on sidewalks if I can avoid it. But there is one section on my commute during a two week period in the month of May when the sun is right into the drivers' eyes. I mean, if you're driving into it in the morning you are literally blinded. I'll hope hop on the adjacent sidewalk going against traffic to avoid any contact with cars going eastbound. Or, in the winter when the sidewalk on some of the major roads is better plowed, that's also a wise option. But of course I slow right down and yield to pedestrians if there are any, which there rarely are. These are arterial roads and not residential or downtown streets with pedestrian traffic.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 04-21-22, 06:35 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
They are called side "walk" for a reason.
Old 04-21-22, 07:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
I rode on a sidewalk this morning. Got to pet a cute puppy named Daisy.
Old 04-21-22, 07:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Folks like absolutes--never ride on sidewalk, never run stop sign, always take the lane, yada yada yada.
I think it is more a matter of some folks liking to push peoples’ buttons. They just say those things in hopes of getting a rise out of someone. I think there is a term for that.
Old 04-21-22, 07:24 AM
northernjeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
On one of my routes to get into the city there is a MUP that for a short distance end in a regular sidewalk. The road beside it leads to a shopping mall and is always busy and really not a good place for a bicycle or in my case a trike. If I see a walker which these days is fairly rare I either stop or pull off on the grass to give them right of way. Although against the law to ride o the sidewalk here, I',ve never had any issues.
Old 04-21-22, 07:45 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
They are called side "walk" for a reason.
... and yet we drive on parkways and park in driveways...
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-21-22, 07:55 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I avoid sidewalks as much as possible but sometimes the rush hour traffic can be so tight here in KQ, you can't even squeeze a narrow road bike between cars. The only option to keep moving is the sidewalk.

As soon as I got to the sidewalk, I keep my speeds slow, under jogging speed and will exit as soon as I spot a clearing between the cars. Where I live, the sidewalks have trees growing on the sidewalk that are equally spaced. I love trees but in the sidewalk, their roots, crack the sidewalk pavement and sometimes their roots come out of the pavement. This makes our sidewalks a pinch flat hazard for anything but MTBs and fatbikes. They are also a major tripping hazard for anyone simply walking.
Old 04-21-22, 08:22 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So by that logic, the car's dangerous pass was de facto legal. Ride as a large peloton in a place where you shouldn't, you're on your own. Your pretending to signal for the group wouldn't matter because legally the group isn't a thing.
don’t know why you keep on saying that the large groups are illegal. Even if they are illegal by the book, they continue to happen and will continue to happen indefinitely. There are 11 rides that I know about every week, all easily above 30 riders and maxing out over 100.
Old 04-21-22, 08:31 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
That's true, but what's being argued here is that by constantly passing each other, bicyclists can expand that "not wide enough" exception and then declare themselves to be the "traffic" whose speed defines the road. That's a ridiculous reading of the statute because that changes that exception to one car plus two or more bikes which is clearly contrary to the plain wording. If all that's happening is groups are taking the lane an individual rider could legally take, then there's really no legal question. What I'm objecting to here is to say that the size of the group can be used as an excuse to take the lane because the cyclists can't safely ride together without doing so.
is that what’s being argued here?!? that’s … creative!

we have quite a few streets here with “bicyclists allowed use of full lane” sign that site a CVC section, i’ll have to check the next time i pass one but i assume they’re referring to 21202(a) but it would be interesting if they specifically reference 21202(a)(3). many of these streets also have sharrows painted right in the middle.
Old 04-21-22, 08:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
So by that logic, the car's dangerous pass was de facto legal. Ride as a large peloton in a place where you shouldn't, you're on your own. Your pretending to signal for the group wouldn't matter because legally the group isn't a thing.
No, because it is always incumbent on the drive to only pass when it's safe.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-21-22, 08:44 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i’m glad you quoted that - but this “except” applies to a LOT of situations:

basically, if the lane isn’t wide enough for a bike and a car to safely ride side by side, you do NOT need to ride as close as practical to the right hand curb.
It's listed in the exceptions. But, yes, it applies to a lot of situations. It also wasn't anything the other person mentioned (and he misquoted the law). Note that most states have similar wording in their traffic laws.
Old 04-21-22, 09:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This sounds absolutely fantastical to me - this sounds less like a bike ride and more like a protest a la Critical Mass. There's a world of difference between this scenario and that of a group rightfully taking the lane to prevent a dangerous squeeze-though attempt by impatient drivers behind them.
Decided to look up our laws and found this:

Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast.  Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane.  Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway.  Persons may not ride more than two abreast unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.

Tx. Trans. Code 551.103
Old 04-21-22, 09:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Well this got off topic quick.
Old 04-21-22, 09:11 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Decided to look up our laws and found this:

Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast.  Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane.  Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway.  Persons may not ride more than two abreast unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.

Tx. Trans. Code 551.103
Yup, two abreast and within one lane is pretty typical.

edit: though this is also typical -

"(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:
(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:
(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane;  or

(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side."

Last edited by WhyFi; 04-21-22 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
No, because it is always incumbent on the drive to only pass when it's safe.

Larry's logic is that the non-enforcement of a law means that it is de facto the law that the requirement does not exist. That's a really stupid bit of logic for a cyclist to maintain as that safe passing law is virtually never enforced. By his logic then, it's de facto legal to do non-safe passes.
Old 04-21-22, 10:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I rode on a sidewalk this morning. Got to pet a cute puppy named Daisy.

Hopefully, she didn't detect the tarantula meat on your breath.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-21-22, 10:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Folks like absolutes--never ride on sidewalk, never run stop sign, always take the lane, yada yada yada
Exactly. Let's get rid of most laws and all lawyers.
Old 04-21-22, 10:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

genejockey can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I was being unfair in that synopsis.

I probably shouldn't do this, but I want to go on record as saying that even when I don't agree with genejockey , I think he's very civil and I enjoy talking the issues through with him. So if I am misunderstanding his argument, I apologize (I don't think I am, though).
Old 04-21-22, 10:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
That's true, but what's being argued here is that by constantly passing each other, bicyclists can expand that "not wide enough" exception and then declare themselves to be the "traffic" whose speed defines the road. That's a ridiculous reading of the statute because that changes that exception to one car plus two or more bikes which is clearly contrary to the plain wording. If all that's happening is groups are taking the lane an individual rider could legally take, then there's really no legal question. What I'm objecting to here is to say that the size of the group can be used as an excuse to take the lane because the cyclists can't safely ride together without doing so.
The common notion of passing is something that is done and over with in a short amount of time and done fairly rarely. He's arguing that the constant reordering that goes on in a peloton is this sort of passing. It's not.

we have quite a few streets here with “bicyclists allowed use of full lane” sign that site a CVC section, i’ll have to check the next time i pass one but i assume they’re referring to 21202(a) but it would be interesting if they specifically reference 21202(a)(3). many of these streets also have sharrows painted right in the middle.
He's arguing that the constant reordering that goes on in a peloton is the sort of passing that the traffic law talks about. It's not. It's "creative" (but not in the way you are describing).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-21-22 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 11:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

It's more that what I'm arguing is that under certain circumstances, there's no reason for a group of 50 cyclists to defer to a single car, because they ARE the traffic.

Generally the law requires that slow moving vehicles pull over, when it's safe, when the line behind them reaches 5 other vehicles. But, you know, I grew up in farm country where one is frequently stuck behind a tractor or a farm truck that is going much slower than the posted limit, and we just put up with it because that's how it is. It's not THAT inconvenient, and it's not all the time.

Larry's point is that the cops in Woodside and Portola Valley know exactly when the Spectrum Ride happens, where it goes, and when it's likely to be passing particular points, because the ride has been going on literally for decades. By NOT stopping it, or trying to enforce single file riding etc., the local constabulary is essentially allowing the behavior. It takes place Saturday morning, so it's not like they're disrupting rush hour or such - so, not like Critical Mass.

Old 04-21-22, 11:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I guess it boils down to whether you think cyclist rights are inferior to drivers rights, though I would point out that cycling is a right, whereas driving is a revocable privilege. If you don't believe me, note that even if you are stopped multiple times for cycling under the influence, even if your bike is confiscated, as long as you aren't in jail, or currently inebriated, there is no provision of the law to prohibit you riding a bike on the roadways. It requires neither a license for the operator nor one for the bicycle.

Old 04-21-22, 11:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Exactly. Let's get rid of most laws and all lawyers.
Everyone thinks that till they're on the other side of the equation.

Old 04-21-22, 01:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So is the consensus that large group rides on sidewalks are ok as long as we're not disturbing horses or dogs or eating tarantulas?
Old 04-21-22, 02:08 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
So is the consensus that large group rides on sidewalks are ok as long as we're not disturbing horses or dogs or eating tarantulas?
Only if you're going against traffic and not wearing a shirt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.